Exchanging scamp rear window for a sliding one? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2023, 09:10 AM   #1

Name: Anke
Trailer: 1990 13 ft Scamp
TN
Exchanging scamp rear window for a sliding one?

Hi,

Hoping for some advise and input with my 1990 13ft scamp. I bought it as a project but then my health took a bit of a nose dive. So I am not interested in authentic restoration anymore, I just want to be able to camp in my egg comfortably.

The rear plexiglass window was cracked and I bought a replacement with rubber gasket from Scamp. I can't get it in. Even with help. Just now as I worked on it alone it fell and the new plexiglass broke in half. If I wouldn't have invested already so much time and money I would set that egg on fire and fry it. (Sorry for the rant)

I am wondering if I could use a thinner plexiglass sheet that would be easier to bend and maybe glue or silicone it into the rubber to keep it from leaking or possibly get a sliding rv window that fits the opening and somehow build it in?
Has anyone done either option? How did it work out?
Thanks for any advise.
Anke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 09:26 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Your 1990 should have the necessary shell modifications to accept the standard rear slider offered by Scamp. It’s not cheap with shipping, but it’s cheaper than ordering a custom RV window, and you don’t have a lot of flexibility on size if you try to find a used window. I really like the factory slider in mine.

Those plexiglass windows are known to be tricky to install. There are videos, but I’d probably pay someone to do it. Auto glass shops that work on vintage vehicles or heavy equipment are used to that type of installation. Thinner isn’t the answer- it has to be matched to the gasket- and too much flex may cause it to pop out from variations in air pressure when towing. Messy sealants and glues aren’t the answer either.

I'm so sorry to hear about your health issues. I hope you can press through this issue and see some use from this trailer!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 10:59 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Getting the rubber gasket in...
there is a tool set that the pros use to for installing panes into those "locking rubber gaskets"(that is what the gasket is called)

go to the website vintagetrailergaskets to buy one for a reasonable price.
The right tool will make all the difference and you can also see video tips for how to use that tool on youtube.

Of course it is very nice in hot weather to have an extra sliding window. So it would be a nice and useful upgrade.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp