Experimenting with different materials for interior walls - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #21

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
Tom,

The Ecofoam I have appears to be of a different construction. It looks like it simply has a pattern stamped in to each side. I could be mistaken. I am going to glue up a few test strips, inside the trailer on bare fibreglass. I will try different combinations of Ecofoam with marine vinyl and that other 1/2 inch foam that I have. Then I will put it through a torture test to see how easily it rips off the wall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ecofoam__This_side_down..jpg
Views:	49
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	27829

Name:	Ecofoam_edge_profile.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	27831

Name:	Ecofoam__This_side_up.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	27830
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #22

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Tom,

The Ecofoam I have appears to be of a different construction.
Kevin - Yep, it is different stuff. Must be a Canada/USA thing with Home Depot. I have never seen any foam like in your pictures. It would make an interesting wall!

Good luck with the tests, keep us posted.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Good luck with the tests, keep us posted.

Here is the test of the first glue up.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #24
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Here is the test of the first glue up.

Very interesting. Can't wait to see how it all mounts inside the trailer. After dealing with all of the compound curves, I'm very curious as to how the final product looks. Any concerns about the vinyl off-gassing? Odor?
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #25

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (Glass-Fab
Registry
Quote:
Any concerns about the vinyl off-gassing? Odor?
I bought a bunch of vinyl to make my spare tire cover. I kept it indoors for a while before getting to the job, and it outgassed quite noticibly, and I had to move it outside.

However, after being heated up a few times, it seems to have settled down. But that odor was quite stifling....and that would be a concern, as PVC per se is not low on the toxic scale!
Mike Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Very interesting. Can't wait to see how it all mounts inside the trailer. After dealing with all of the compound curves, I'm very curious as to how the final product looks. Any concerns about the vinyl off-gassing? Odor?

As of yet no concerns to off-gassing however I will research a bit more as to potential hazards. As for the curves, they may pose some interesting problems. I was planning to run a test patch in one of the corners to determine the best method of laying on the material. I do have other materials in mind that I may run tests on as well. I probably won't be ready to install the lining untl late summer or early fall anyway.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #27

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel
I am new at this but we have a 1980 17ft Quantum 5 and just gutted it, I am thinking about ceiling panels??? All I need to cover is the ceiling and front and back. They insulate, noise reduction, and easy to cut and fit plus I can paint them??? Any help is appreciated. Brenda

Quote:
I am going to run a few tests with these materials to see what might or might not work in the 17 ft. Boler.

[b]Note: there is a possible problem with my Flickr link. I will repost photos.

Thanks for the info. Donna. However I still can't figure out my Flickr. (I guess I should stick to Youtube)

I will make a short video and post the Youtube link.

Try this Youtube link.

Brenda Clark is offline   Reply With Quote