Exterior Body Repairs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Smile Exterior Body Repairs

I have searched through threads but cannot come up with an answer. I am a newbie, so will be asking a lot of questions. I will be doing some body work on my Bigfoot and want to patch up a few holes which are not large, so will not be using fiberglass. Should I just use bondo? I was told that I could use epoxy as well. Comments, please, Thanks, Jim
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #2

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
Why not epoxy? West System makes a cheap kit that is perfect for repairing small holes. It includes a small amount of resin and hardener, some fairing powder and a spreader. The little plastic case it comes in doubles as a mixing container. You can find it on Amazon or at a West Marine (similar name; different company) retail outl et.
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
A lot is going to depend on what size the holes are. I will be using Bondo to fill old screw holes in my Compact Jr. rebuild. I'd use an epoxy kit for larger repairs, like blanking out a water fill port or furnace exhaust.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #4

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
Here's a link to the West System repair kits. The 105 kit is about $30 from Amazon. The epoxy comes in packets so there is little waste. Epoxy is a stronger repair media than bondo.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/repair-kits/
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
For screw holes I have used PC 11. It can be put in a syringe and injected. Others have had success with PC 7 with is similar to play doh. For big jobs the West System products are the best and the web site is an excellent resource. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-1104262591.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Marinetex

For small repairs and screw holes I use Marine tex white. It's a close match to the Scamp gelcoat. Just before it sets up really hard I use a razor to clean up the patch. In many cases no sanding is needed.
Eddie
Marine Tex, epoxy resin, adhesives, silicone grease, engine treatment, cleaner, repair, bond, fill, seal, fiberglass, aluminum, plastics, Starboard, wood
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Raz
Looks like PC-11 is much cheaper than Marinetex, is it a close match on the gelcoat? I think I may try it.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Raz
Looks like PC-11 is much cheaper than Marinetex, is it a close match on the gelcoat? I think I may try it.
Eddie
No, it dries to dull off white with a slight blue green tint. After filling, I masked my holes with blue tape and newspaper and painted with gloss white spray paint, Krylon I think. Works fine for screw holes. Filling in a large hole is body work. I hate body work. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #9

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
Bondo is only good for 1/4 inch holes or less.

I concur that the fiberglassing kits work great if you need larger areas filled, like utility cutouts. Fiberglassing is not as difficult as people make it sound.

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #10

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
If it is not painted yet you can do small repairs with a
Gelcoat tintable repair kit Will be doing an area of about 4 sq ft on the front top roll of ours this fall found them at west marine
Old 11-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #11

Ontario
Registry
P.S. our white trailer was not so white after we used as rubbing compound on it more of a soft yellow/white like the bathroom is and I do stress the mellow Yellow. Prior repairs show more as I take it back to the original finish so will have to remove them and then redo for colour match some of the patch work is paint that will have to be taken back to the gelcoat or fiberglass depending on the depth.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #12

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
For screw holes I have used PC 11. It can be put in a syringe and injected. Others have had success with PC 7 with is similar to play doh. For big jobs the West System products are the best and the web site is an excellent resource. Raz
Works great for filling holes that will be reused and very strong