Exterior Paint Jobs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
I think I want to get our Scamp painted. I'm interested to hear other peoples experiences. Was it a DIY project? Did you go to a local paint shop? What did it cost?

Also, I'd love to see pictures and hear ideas for some nice paint jobs. I'm kind've partial to a two-tone paint job. Maybe something like this:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/412441...074864803rOSGig

Thanks in advance for any input.

Chris
Chris Seddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium

Click image for larger version

Name:	TrailerForSaleOrRent.gif
Views:	166
Size:	355.2 KB
ID:	1679
I'm in starting to think about getting the Trill painted. I called Maaco Auto body paint shop. I think it's at least a west coast chain. One of their locations (Tacoma) has a large enough paint booth to do the TRill. They do alot of big rigs that are fiberglass so they do have experience. A really ball park estimate I got over the phone was in the $900 neighborhood. That included two colors and a clear coat. I am thinking something like this....
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:18 AM   #3

Trailer: Hunter 1
A technical high-school or career college might offer very reasonable rates. They usually charge you for the cost of supplies, but not the labour.
Joy and Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Chris,

If you click on the link that says "Search" at the top of the page you will be able to search old posts on this subject. Just enter a keyword like "paint" and you will get a lists of previous posts.

The red and white Coleman Cooler/Coca Cola Boler reminds me of Gina D's Buro. She painted hers herself - with sanding priming help from friends.
Attached Thumbnails
cooler.jpg   gina.jpg  

Attached Images

Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:58 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Some kid told me mine looked like a Coleman cooler.. (Little rat!)

Anyway, the Coke a Cola one looks better.. it no doubt went to shop.

Mine was done with PPG paint, after MUCH prep work and elbow grease. I had to make up for things that the pro job wouldn't do, like the glossy finish, so I went the opposite and used a textured roller. It's still a gloss paint, but it isn't mirror finsih, and it looks like it's sposed to be that way.. as it is.

I STILL have not done the finishing touch ups.. almost a year later

The paint also should be clear coated, it is already chipped in front from road goo.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:16 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
How about Orange Crush anyone
Attached Thumbnails
OrangeCrush.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:36 AM   #7

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
I painted the exteriors of both the Boler and the PlayPac (photos in the link in my sig). With the Boler, I used a roller. For the PlayPac I went with rattle-cans (not as pricy as you might think). Both were MUCH cheaper than taking it in for a pro job, but the quality would have been less as well. To really guage that you'd have to compare different paint jobs in person though. Photos aren't gonna do a good enough job.

In brief: The rattle cans gives you a much smoother finish. This can be REALLY enhanced by giving the whole thing a high gloss top coat (didn't do that with the trailers - but I DID do it with a set of fiberglass saddlebags I have on my bike). The roller leaves a bit of a texture behind. The rolled on paint was much thicker as well. Upside of this was that the rolled paint does a better job of covering any imperfections in the body of the trailer than the spray will.

I haven't tried it - but I've heard some report very good results (ultra-ultra smooth and glossy) with polyurethane paints (for glass boats).

I'm a real sucker for the two-tone look myself (which is obvious if you look at the photos).

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I cheated a bit on our 13' Boler and shot the lower part with a litre of red Tremclad in a gun....it`s a 50/50 paint job ...not too bad at 50yds or 50 mph......I can also touch up the stone chips with a Tremclad red spray bomb......it`s in our web shots site.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting

« TV Mounts | BATTERY »