Exterior paint question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
kip

Name: Kip, 1978 boler 1300
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Exterior paint question

Hi all

Just about ready to start ripping windows out and prep for painting my boler. I'm having trouble finding the right paint colors for it though. I figured I would use top side marine paint. We wanted to do an off white top half and turquoise on the bottom. Problem is I can't find the turquoise in a top side marine paint anywhere in Canada and that stuff can't be tinted. I found one in the US but due to environmental regs they won't ship that stuff across the border. Can anyone recommend a brand or type of paint available that will do the job? Ideally something that can be tinted at the paint store to exact color?

Thanks!
kip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
I would go and talk to a boat repair shop. Or any shops that repair Corvettes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip View Post
Hi all

Just about ready to start ripping windows out and prep for painting my boler. I'm having trouble finding the right paint colors for it though. I figured I would use top side marine paint. We wanted to do an off white top half and turquoise on the bottom. Problem is I can't find the turquoise in a top side marine paint anywhere in Canada and that stuff can't be tinted. I found one in the US but due to environmental regs they won't ship that stuff across the border. Can anyone recommend a brand or type of paint available that will do the job? Ideally something that can be tinted at the paint store to exact color?

Thanks!
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:41 PM   #3
kip

British Columbia
Hi Rick

Thanks for the response. I've been to the boat shops already and they have what they have in the colors they come in and that's it. I'm not sure about corvette repair shops or if we even have one where I live. I plan to do the painting myself so it has to be a product I can obtain.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:20 PM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 19 5'er
Colorado
Here's a Corvette shop in Surrey, BC:

Corvette Specialties They mention paint and body work, along with everything else.

Or, maybe contact the BC Corvette Club?

BC Corvette Club
Old 05-10-2015, 04:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Are you going to spray or roll and tip?

If your going to spray I would go to a body shop supply store and they can custom tint paint to any color you want. if you are going to roll and tip you will be limited to what ever premixed colors come from the few suppliers of that kind of paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip View Post
Hi Rick

Thanks for the response. I've been to the boat shops already and they have what they have in the colors they come in and that's it. I'm not sure about corvette repair shops or if we even have one where I live. I plan to do the painting myself so it has to be a product I can obtain.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:47 PM   #6
kip

British Columbia
My apologies I should have said at the beginning roll and tip.

I've found a possible alternative to top side marine paint. Tremclad is supposedly okay on fiberglass. They make a water based varient that can be tinted. I'm thinking I'll prime with their oil base primer then the tinted water base over that. The top will remain an off white with top side marine paint. If the tremclad doesn't hold up at least its not the whole boler to redo. (plus this color makes my wife happy)

Tags
paint