Hi there, looks like you did an amazing job!
I'm prepping to repaint our '73 Trillium
and have a couple additional questions for you, if you don't mind:
1) Were you able to find system three paint at a chain (noticed you're also in Canada) or did you have to go to a specialty store / order it online? I havent seen it locally.
2) Did you use any products between sand and prime to clean the surface or just soap and water + rinse?
3) Do you remember how much paint you used? 1 Gallon primer? Were you able to get your 2-3 coats with 1 gallon of each white and blue?
4) I noticed the system 3 paints include a "cross linker" that is supposed to increase hardness / durability. Is this something you mix in for all coats or just the final coat?
5) I'm a little new to painting
with an spray gun - were you able to rent an air compressor / did you already own one, or how does that work? I noticed from System Three's website that "SilverTip Yacht Primer can be applied by brush, roller, or spray. For spray application, HVLP equipment is recommended.
" did you use a HVLP system ?
Great idea with the Zep Wet Floor finish... looks awesome!
Thanks and all the best,
Originally Posted by hudman
It's worked out very well. I've had no issues as of yet with fading or bad wear. Keep in mind though that I always keep it washed and covered when not in use.
I did use the primer before hand as it helps with filling in small imperfections, etc..So Yes, I used the complete system. I also sprayed everything on using a simple spray gun anyone can buy at Napa, ect...
After a week or so I ended up looking for some kind of wax that would give it that varnished wet look. I couldn't find any and I ended up finding a thread on using 'Zep wet look floor finish'....yes, that's correct. lol. I put on 5 coats originally and every year I hit it with another. Gives it a great wet appearance and helps protect it. You can grab that at Home Depot, I believe.
Hope this helps!