Exterior sanding/prep advice - Surfside 78 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2015, 11:00 AM   #21

Name: James
Trailer: triple e
Alberta
Oh actually not bad at all. The odour lasted a few days and now obviously nothing. It's a very durable paint system I used...a marine grade, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
hudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:02 AM   #22

Alberta
System 3 gel coat... I sprayed inside a small Quonset wearing a proper canister mask. Opened her up after and smell was gone In a couple days.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #23

Trailer: 1977 Surfside Triple E TM14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudman View Post
So I ended up taking most of the top coat off the whole trailer, started with an 80 grit, and finished with a 120. Primer went on amazing as well as the final 2-3 coats. I ended up using the 'system 3' gel coat paint system. I did the whole paint job with a spray gun and it worked out well. Next, windows are installed and we start with the interior... pics to follow as always
looks great, good job. well done.
Evinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #24

Alberta
More progress pics... For those whom are interested. Put in some cool brake/signal lights this weekend, led lights in the interior roof, switches, outside shower, water service, cord box, and marker lights. Varnished the wood interior with about 6 coats to make it glass like.....goal is to have it ready for first weekend in July. More pics to come...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432079761.581882.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	84116Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432079790.848839.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	84117Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432079811.364172.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	84118Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432079839.230881.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	84119Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432079861.764741.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	84121Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432079883.680387.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	84122Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432079900.881416.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	84123Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432079934.163340.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	84125Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432079950.764307.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	84126Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432079964.314668.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	84128

Old 05-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #25

Name: Jeannette
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Beauty!

What is the metallic panelling?

I'm new here - if we pull out all of our cabinetry can it go back in? Do people build their own primarily for customization? Is weight a factor? Can I expect our cabinetry to have some kind of issue due to age (1975) or is it usually fairly solid - I'm assuming its fiberglass...

We have a paint design in mind and I'm thinking paint with decals would be the way to go, or a vinyl wrap but that could be too expensive.
Thanks
Jeannette in NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:57 AM   #26

Name: Keith
Trailer: Triple E
Ontario
Looks great! I'm in the same process with my 78 surfside. Rebuilding the interior now. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432225788.917290.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	84177Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432225806.380248.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	84178

keithfwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:25 PM   #27

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannette in NS View Post
Beauty!

What is the metallic panelling?

I'm new here - if we pull out all of our cabinetry can it go back in? Do people build their own primarily for customization? Is weight a factor? Can I expect our cabinetry to have some kind of issue due to age (1975) or is it usually fairly solid - I'm assuming its fiberglass...

We have a paint design in mind and I'm thinking paint with decals would be the way to go, or a vinyl wrap but that could be too expensive.
Thanks
Hello and welcome!

Not metallic paneling, just birch plywood stained with mixture of stains I threw together and varnished several times.

The window frames were stained to give a 'weathered look'. Can't see them really in any of these pics but it looks great. Still not sure if I'm going to keep it or not.

I have to be honest with you.... I don't know a lot of what was originally in my trailer, as it was an empty shell when I bought it, but I know some did come with fiberglass cabinets and apparently you can put them back in. I used a combination of pine and cedar framework. Fiberglass "Tabbed" my whole interior so I would have something to attach the cabinets to. My interior is fairly light. I know these surfsides were rated to weigh about 1500lbs when filled and ready to go.

Hope this helps... There is so much info on this site to help you out. I knew nothing originally and pulled a lot of ideas and solved a lot of problems by perusing the threads.

Good luck!
Old 05-22-2015, 10:28 PM   #28

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithfwhite View Post
Looks great! I'm in the same process with my 78 surfside. Rebuilding the interior now. Attachment 84177Attachment 84178

Hey!

I've been following your progress. I would have been done last summer myself but I have two kids below the age of 19 months.....sooooooo, I guess I'm a little behind on the trailer reno.

The rate you're going you're going to be done in a couple weeks!!
Old 06-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #29

Name: Colleen
Trailer: Boler 1975
Alberta
It's been a while since you did your exterior paint job but I'm wondering if you could tell me how it held up? I'm planning on putting on the exact same SystemThree this weekend. Also, did you use their Yacht Primer and the WR-LPU or just the WR-LPU over the sanded fiberglass/gelcoat combo?

Colleen
cbee7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #30

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbee7899 View Post
It's been a while since you did your exterior paint job but I'm wondering if you could tell me how it held up? I'm planning on putting on the exact same SystemThree this weekend. Also, did you use their Yacht Primer and the WR-LPU or just the WR-LPU over the sanded fiberglass/gelcoat combo?

Colleen
Hello Colleen,

It's worked out very well. I've had no issues as of yet with fading or bad wear. Keep in mind though that I always keep it washed and covered when not in use.

I did use the primer before hand as it helps with filling in small imperfections, etc..So Yes, I used the complete system. I also sprayed everything on using a simple spray gun anyone can buy at Napa, ect...

After a week or so I ended up looking for some kind of wax that would give it that varnished wet look. I couldn't find any and I ended up finding a thread on using 'Zep wet look floor finish'....yes, that's correct. lol. I put on 5 coats originally and every year I hit it with another. Gives it a great wet appearance and helps protect it. You can grab that at Home Depot, I believe.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #31

Name: Erik
Trailer: 1978 surfside triple e
BC
Painted mine with Cloverdale high gloss enamel marine paint. Sanded once with 80 grit using an orbital sander, painted using the roll and tip method (google it). No primer used and worked well. By no means a proffesional job but as amateur goes it looks good.
Erik F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #32

Name: Nickey
Trailer: currently shopping
Arkansas
Quote:
Attachment 82429Attachment 82430

...started the kitchen area last weekend. Hope to have all the wood work finished this weekend.

Where did you get your back splash from?
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #33

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Where did you get your back splash from?
I believe I bought the backsplash at either home depot or lowes. Used something like liquid nails to get them to stick! Still on today after lots of use.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:41 PM   #34

Name: billy j
Trailer: triple e surfside rm-14
Ontario
tail lights

Love to put the same tail lights on my surfside. Where did ya get em?
Old 04-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #35

Name: Scott
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Hi there, looks like you did an amazing job!

I'm prepping to repaint our '73 Trillium and have a couple additional questions for you, if you don't mind:

1) Were you able to find system three paint at a chain (noticed you're also in Canada) or did you have to go to a specialty store / order it online? I havent seen it locally.

2) Did you use any products between sand and prime to clean the surface or just soap and water + rinse?

3) Do you remember how much paint you used? 1 Gallon primer? Were you able to get your 2-3 coats with 1 gallon of each white and blue?

4) I noticed the system 3 paints include a "cross linker" that is supposed to increase hardness / durability. Is this something you mix in for all coats or just the final coat?

5) I'm a little new to painting with an spray gun - were you able to rent an air compressor / did you already own one, or how does that work? I noticed from System Three's website that "SilverTip Yacht Primer can be applied by brush, roller, or spray. For spray application, HVLP equipment is recommended." did you use a HVLP system ?

Great idea with the Zep Wet Floor finish... looks awesome!

Thanks and all the best,
Scott

Quote:
Hello Colleen,

It's worked out very well. I've had no issues as of yet with fading or bad wear. Keep in mind though that I always keep it washed and covered when not in use.

I did use the primer before hand as it helps with filling in small imperfections, etc..So Yes, I used the complete system. I also sprayed everything on using a simple spray gun anyone can buy at Napa, ect...

After a week or so I ended up looking for some kind of wax that would give it that varnished wet look. I couldn't find any and I ended up finding a thread on using 'Zep wet look floor finish'....yes, that's correct. lol. I put on 5 coats originally and every year I hit it with another. Gives it a great wet appearance and helps protect it. You can grab that at Home Depot, I believe.

Hope this helps!
Element89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside