fabric headliner over ensolite? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2020, 03:08 PM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: Trillium
Nova Scotia
fabric headliner over ensolite?

Hi all, purchased a not-so-bad 1978 trillium 4500. This forum is my new best friend.

Ensolite is not is horrible shape, but the seams are ugly. Also I like the look a softer wall. From all the info I'm reading, it's highly encouraged not to rip out fair-condition ensolite, since nothing really compares to it these days. Anyone have experience putting RV/ marine headliner over the ensolite? Will that cause moisture issues?
Karenwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:22 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I haven't, but I would in a heartbeat. I like the marine headliner in my Scamp: never any condensation, and doesn't feel cold when you brush against it. I see no reason why putting it over Ensolite would be a problem as long as the Ensolite is still tightly attached to the shell. It would probably be better insulation-wise than the foil bubble wrap in my Scamp.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:21 AM   #3

Name: Karen
Trailer: Trillium
Nova Scotia
Thanks Jon, people talk about that ensolite like it’s gold, so figure before I do anything hasty simply for cosmetic purposes, I’d get some advice �� I appreciate yours!
Karenwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:07 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The inexpensive solution is paint, and the seams can be made nearly invisible with paintable latex caulk, dabbed with a damp, crumbled rag to approximate the texture of the Ensolite. But it won’t be soft to touch.

Remember that headliner will have seams, too. Scamp covers them with strips of the same headliner material. I don’t find it objectionable, but it is noticeable.

It’s very important to choose the adhesive carefully. Auto headliner adhesive (available at auto parts stores) or contact cement would probably be your best bets for large areas. Not sure if either would affect the vinyl surface of the Ensolite; that’s something to check in the product specs.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:42 AM   #5

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Lil BigFoot
Ontario
Hello, we just removed the old headliner which was peeling off the insolite. Our insolite is in good shape. Once we clean the glue residue, we will be adding vinyl headliner.
We found some at Fabricland ( Ontario ) which was much cheaper than the Marine one.
check the difference and both feel the same. we will use a 3M spray glue to mount it.

project is now on hold, as we need to fix the wet plywood floor
Good luck.
Nancy Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:42 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
if you must use 3M adhesive spray for your headliner be sure to use super 90 not super 70, a lower temperature product, and follow the instructions on the can and wear a respirator inside the trailer. Scamp made the overlapping seam tape from folded edges of hull liner. and tacked them in place with a hot melt glue gun, much cleaner than contact adhesive but a bear if you need to do work under it. they also glued the wires to the wall with hot melt before going over it all with the bubble insulation and hull liner. i would put hull liner over the elephant hide but be sure to clean it really good and test to see if it holds up because all sorts of thing may have been put on that old liner with or without proper preparation.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:58 PM   #7

Name: Curt
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Alberta
Registry
Personally, I would NOT!

I understand the desire to improve your Trillium 4500, but these trailers have LOTS of strange corners. I know, I have one too! 1978 4500 as well.

Personally, I would not try to put anything over the ensolite, it may not stick well, and may be difficult to fit into and around corners. If I tried I know it would look worse than what I start with.

You might want to check out the video on what we did - .

Best of luck!
Capn.Curt.Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:13 PM   #8

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Lil BigFoot
Ontario
Hi Captain Curt.

Our ensolite do not look like yours. Our is Pink, cover of old glue from the foam headliner that was peeling off. Hence the "no" choice to re-cover all the wall. Our Lil Bigfoot, do not have Fiberglass furniture or wall.. i did watch your video and love the way you fixed the seams...it is nice and neat! May try it when we are at that stage . Thanks again!

Still looking on how to repair the wet floor and see if we can add structural ribs under for extra support. the floor is very soft and the frame is a V shape for a boat and hollow in the middle where we stand!
Nancy Del is offline   Reply With Quote