Fabric vs. Vinyl Cushions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2015, 12:45 PM   #1

Name: Deirdre
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Ontario
Fabric vs. Vinyl Cushions

Hi all - just wondered what everyone's thoughts/opinions/experiences were with regards to cushion covers. Mine are presently fabric but I'm thinking of recovering them with an automobile vinyl - easier to clean/maintain. Would love to hear from anyone...thanks!
littlemisspippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Sticks to your hind side during hot weather.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Hot to sleep on in the summer.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
My originals were fabric one side, vinyl the other side. Not a bad idea- you can put the vinyl side out when people are likely to be wet or dirty, flip them for comfort in the bed.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:42 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Vinyl... Oops got a charge out that one.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:21 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Have you considered Sunbrella or a similar outdoor-type woven fabric? Best of both worlds, though at a cost.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The cushions that came with our Trillium are cloth with vinyl bottoms. They sit on unfinished plywood hatch covers. I assume vinyl was used to protect the open cell foam cushions. On a warm rainy summer day a trailer without AC will become quite humid and the wood will absorb moisture. The vinyl protects the foam from that moisture. Worst case if the cushions are left in place too long, mold will form. Cleaning mold off of vinyl is much easier than cloth. Just a guess, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:06 PM   #8

Ontario
Bobbie - love that idea…and Jon - yes looked at sunbrella as well as an automotive-type fabric - just like the look of the vinyl - it's cleaner - but did have a concern about comfort for sleeping but figured we would probably use some kind of memory foam topper anyways…as to sticking to the hiney…LOL #firstworldproblems - isn't that why they created capris/manpris??!!
Old 04-17-2015, 04:30 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemisspippy View Post
Bobbie - love that idea…and Jon - yes looked at sunbrella as well as an automotive-type fabric - just like the look of the vinyl - it's cleaner - but did have a concern about comfort for sleeping but figured we would probably use some kind of memory foam topper anyways…as to sticking to the hiney…LOL #firstworldproblems - isn't that why they created capris/manpris??!!
I noticed you didn't mention the charge you'll get out of vinyl. If you've ever slid across automobile vinyl seat covers you'll know what I mean.

As far as hot is concerned, for week-end you manage almost anything. Long term campers will look at it differently.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:37 PM   #10

Name: Lyndsay
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
Alberta
Registry
If it's ease of clean up your worried about there are many waterproofing products for fabrics that will help them stay clean longer.

Lilly The Trilly - 1975 Trillium 1300
PrettylilTrilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettylilTrilly View Post
If it's ease of clean up your worried about there are many waterproofing products for fabrics that will help them stay clean longer.

Lilly The Trilly - 1975 Trillium 1300
Yes Sunbrella - or other types of outdoor use fabrics are pretty easy to keep clean and will withstand a good washing if they become dirty.

Personal preference is fabric cushion covers - gives the trailer a much warmer feel. If you take care of then and don't allow them to be left dirty and wet or in a leaking trailer you should not have any issues with them. If you want you can leave a thin plastic cover on the foam under the fabric - Scamp did that on mine and when I took the covers and plastic wrap off 20 years later to replace the covers the foam looked like new.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:17 PM   #12

Ontario
Byron - LOL - sorry wasn't too sure what you meant since I've always had fabric car seats :P - the vinyl that I'm thinking of is sort of a fake leather so it's soft and not as hard as say, marine vinyl. I'm going back and forth on it - and yes Byron, for the most part we will be weekend warriors so I'm probably over-thinking it, as usual!! Carol, I'm hoping the cushions will warm it up and the throw quilts but I would agree with you. Decisions decisions!! Thanks for everyone's comments - appreciated!! What a great site!
Old 04-17-2015, 07:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Carol, I'm hoping the cushions will warm it up and the throw quilts but I would agree with you.
If you do any fall or early winter camping you may find that sitting on vinyl seats in the trailer is a bit like climbing into a car with no seat heaters in cold weather
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #14

Name: Robert
Trailer: Airstream 23D International Serenity
Texas
We recovered our Casita cushions in marine vinyl... we love them. They are not hot to our skin, nor to we stick to them... but I'm sure that would be a problem if we were "nekkid!"
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_9457.1.jpg  
Old 04-18-2015, 11:13 AM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob and Linda View Post
We recovered our Casita cushions in marine vinyl... we love them. They are not hot to our skin, nor to we stick to them... but I'm sure that would be a problem if we were "nekkid!"

Looks amazing, and I really like what you did with the partition wall between the side & rear dinettes!
Old 04-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #16

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
For cryint out loud, get "Nekkid" and find out.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 01:24 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Byron - LOL - sorry wasn't too sure what you meant since I've always had fabric car seats :P - the vinyl that I'm thinking of is sort of a fake leather so it's soft and not as hard as say, marine vinyl. I'm going back and forth on it - and yes Byron, for the most part we will be weekend warriors so I'm probably over-thinking it, as usual!! Carol, I'm hoping the cushions will warm it up and the throw quilts but I would agree with you. Decisions decisions!! Thanks for everyone's comments - appreciated!! What a great site!
Vinyl is plastic, plastic and synthetic fabric with rubbed together will generate an electrical charge. When have done that then touch a metal surface a nice little arc happens which gives you little shock and burn. (the burn very small and doesn't cause any problems after the discharge but it's still there)..
Old 04-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Taken together, the two previous posts are… shall we say… shocking!
Old 04-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #19

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
I would go with the fabric, vinyl combo and spray the fabric with Scotchguard as needed. But now I'm wondering, can you put that vinyl in the wash? You might have to put a zipper between the two fabrics, or cover the cushions in vinyl and stretch a tube of fabric over it for sitting.
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:29 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
We spent several thousand having our loveseats and armchair reupholstered by a quality shop ( hey, we liked the style ).
The owner advised NOT to use Scotchguard. I gather it is similar to silicon in that it may shed some dirt, but when it does get dirty it is very difficult to clean.

Tags
vin