Fabric Yardage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #1

Name: Tracy
Trailer: 2006 Egg Camper
Michigan
Registry
Fabric Yardage

I have searched the form but not found how much yardage I will need to cover new cushions? If you have redone you cushions did you put the naugahyde on the bottom again?

Thanks for any help or links you can give me, I hate to repost if this question has already been answered but I can't find it if it has.
Beadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: 13' Boler 1977
Ontario
I am in the same boat with my 13' boler, I did go for a quote getting it done professionally and was told 11 yards by one person and 13 by another, I have asked the same question in another thread
pbraunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #3

Name: Noel
Trailer: 1300 Boler -The Pine Cone
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbraunton View Post
I am in the same boat with my 13' boler, I did go for a quote getting it done professionally and was told 11 yards by one person and 13 by another, I have asked the same question in another thread

Hello

We are having a person finish up our cushions this week. Depending on whether you want zippers or not, 13 yards is a good number. It's always good to have a little more than you need just in case. Hope this helps
lespnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #4

Michigan
Registry
Thanks for your reply's I am going to go the whole route with zippers and all so the 13 yards is what I will get, thanks so much for your help. I have a 13 foot scamp and forgot to mention that.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I used 13 yards. did the bottoms in vinyl though so I have lots left over.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #6

Name: Lorraine
Trailer: 1972 13' Boler
New Brunswick
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
I used 13 yards. did the bottoms in vinyl though so I have lots left over.
Hi.. Can I ask why you finished the bottom of the cushions with vinyl?
Any special reason for this?......I will be recovering my cushions this winter and was just curious.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #7

Michigan
Registry
Often in campers the bottoms of the covers were done in vinyl because you can simply turn the cushion over if you have kids in wet bathing suits sitting at the table. The bottom sides of these cushions also take a lot more abuse from sliding them back and forth from table to bed so it makes them last longer.

Scott do you have any idea of how much yardage you had left?
Old 09-22-2010, 06:25 AM   #8

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Vinyl bottoms on your cushions

These trailer cushions, as well as boat cushions, are exposed to quite a bit of moisture. They are sold by the manufacturer with vinyl on the bottom, so that the entire cushion is protected from moisture building up while the trailer is stored for the winter as well as while the trailer is outside in the rain.
I bought some material to redo mine (haven't used it since I sold my project Perris Pacer) and the seamstress said it would take approx. 13 yds for the woven (54" to 60" fabric and I can't remember how much of the vinyl...but think it was only 6 yards or so).
Good luck with your project!
Have you seen the many interresting threads on where to by the best material such as theSunbrella brand?
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:30 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadbug View Post
Often in campers the bottoms of the covers were done in vinyl because you can simply turn the cushion over if you have kids in wet bathing suits sitting at the table. The bottom sides of these cushions also take a lot more abuse from sliding them back and forth from table to bed so it makes them last longer.

We did ours and used 11 yards, and still had some left over. With the price of this kind of material it is foolish to buy more then 12.

Joe
Joe Steadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
We ordered custom yardage for the cushions on our Escape 13. We were told we needed 4.8 metres (5.2 yards) for a non-pattern fabric and twice that for a pattern fabric. As it was, for the pattern fabric we selected, Jo-Ann Fabrics only had 9 3/4 yards. We went ahead anyway and there was quite a bit left over. Our cushions have zippers and vinyl on the bottom.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #11

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
HI,
I think fabricguru.com is a good source for a variety of fabrics on the web. You can buy it by the lot, or by the yard.
Personally in the past I have not covered the bottom with vinyl, as I like to have the option of flipping the cushions over if they get badly stained. I also think the foam "breathes" better that way.
Now, how about the yardage for a Trill. 4500? I am guessing 15 yds, but does anyone know for sure? This is hopefully going to be a project that I can complete this winter!
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #12

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
I also don't care for vinyl, but....I sleep on the front bunk which I had covered with a canvas type cotton. Condensation seems to form under me and I found mildew on my remnant fabric (very cheap fabric find). Expensive mildew resistant fabric would be better.

I put dri-dec squares below my cushions between the storage openings. This keeps the dampness off the fabric and I can wipe away the moisture under the dri-dek. We always tip our cushions up to let air circulate when we are not using the rig.

If I had spent lots of money and found mildew I would have been very unhappy.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #13

Michigan
Registry
I have never seen dri-dec is this something they use in boats?

I agree maybe fabric both sides would be best for the breathing ability.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Dri-Dek | The Product

We only seem to need it on my front bunk where fiberglass is underneath the cushion.

My husband sleeps on the dinette and we have never noticed moisture there. He must not throw off the heat I do. Also, we put the table up every day so cushions get moved around.

I suppose closed cell foam might not have the problem either?

Somewhere I read for tent trailers to put the bubble alum stuff under the mattress (they hang out over air) to stop the condensation.

We have a boat supply place convenient and more convenient they had a close out on a dri-dek type product.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #15

Michigan
Registry
I think I will try the bubble stuff with the aluminum under the mattress. I know where to find that.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #16

Registry
no idea what was left... I picked up a bunch of throw pillows from Walmart and used what I had left. one thing about the vinyl bottom is that you will have to lay down that mesh rubber matting so they don't slide around when you're sleeping on them. I use mesh place mats from the dollar store.

Scott do you have any idea of how much yardage you had left?[/QUOTE]
Old 10-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Ok so it seems that 13 yards of material is a good number to use for a 13' but I wonder if thats a good number for a 16' scamp as well. Are the cushions the same size on both? I think redoing the covers is going to be my winter project.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #18

Michigan
Registry
I don't know that they are the same the bed in the back of my scamp is a full sized bed in back and a bed and a bunk that is 2' by 6 foot in front. If these are the same sized beds then yes that 13 yards will do.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Thanks Beadbug after I posted I took a look at the Scamp site and they sell the same cushions for both the 13' and 16' so I'm pretty sure now that they are the same.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:40 AM   #20

Registry
I'm not sure Tracy.
depends on how fussy you are about matching the pattern. I think buying an extra 30% of fabric would be a good idea if you are using plaids or repeating patterns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadbug View Post