Fabricated fiberglass rockguard? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2017, 07:54 AM   #21

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
The original Ventura guard was an aluminum channel frame with some fiberglass roof panels inserted. Worked fine but I would have preferred a flat surface. I have laid up flat fiberglass panels (but not big ones) by using a plywood surface covered with Formica which got a good coating of car wax as a release agent. Lay down the fiberglass mat and resin and let it harden, then pop it free from the formica.

One thing I had thought of when I had the ventura was a bubble type wind deflector as a rock guard, serving two uses. The front the trailer was very flat and caused a lot of drag and I thought that this might help.
Attached Images

Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:13 AM   #22

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
The original Ventura guard was an aluminum channel frame with some fiberglass roof panels inserted. Worked fine but I would have preferred a flat surface. I have laid up flat fiberglass panels (but not big ones) by using a plywood surface covered with Formica which got a good coating of car wax as a release agent. Lay down the fiberglass mat and resin and let it harden, then pop it free from the formica.

One thing I had thought of when I had the ventura was a bubble type wind deflector as a rock guard, serving two uses. The front the trailer was very flat and caused a lot of drag and I thought that this might help.
The original frame is now in bad shape and the rail is bent, so I would rather just start fresh. I agree that I need a smooth surface to work on and hopefully I will find something at the Restore.
I like your idea of a bubble shape. Perhaps using an overturned old bathtub as a mold? But the hardware for attaching and raising would be a challenge.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:18 AM   #23

Ontario
Maybe somewhere there is a clear plexiglass bubble that would fit and could be permanently mounted and still allow the light and views through the window.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:24 AM   #24

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Patricia, have you looked through the gallery at Ventura campers and the rock guards they are sporting? If you see something that you like, you could always contact those members and see how they have adapted theirs.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #25

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
Maybe somewhere there is a clear plexiglass bubble that would fit and could be permanently mounted and still allow the light and views through the window.
Just me being silly.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #26

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeair2me View Post
Patricia, have you looked through the gallery at Ventura campers and the rock guards they are sporting? If you see something that you like, you could always contact those members and see how they have adapted theirs.
From what I have seen, they all have the original frame and hardware though they may have changed the panels. I am actually looking forward to making one out of fiberglass and will be using some rubber channel around the edges as suggested by KC. I have to look more closely at the scamp hinges and may order them.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #27
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:

Quote:
Just me being silly.

Not silly at all. I recall a member used clear plastic so he could see through the trailer with his rear view mirror.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #28

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Thanks KC
I had not even thought of different and flexible material for the edging but have now found a company close by that has rubber edging online, so I will try there. Great idea to keep in mind for other uses in the trailer.
I like the idea of the ribs. Going vertically, how far apart would you have them over a 5 foot span?
Have you heard of the tissue or veil? In the one video I watched, it was used to give a smooth final layer without visible strands. It seemed flexible and easy to use. But I would have to search it out and am wondering if it is necessary.
I intend to prime and paint it just like the rest of the trailer.
By the way, last summer you recommended, in response to one of my posts, using balloons with resin for certain repairs. I have been selectively using them, as recently as this week, and the repairs are very strong and smooth. Thanks for that suggestion too.
4 ribs should be adequate, you might even get away with 3, it actually depends on the height of the rib. The maximum strength is developed from the height of a rib. Which means you can use narrower ribs that are a little taller and that will keep the weight down.

Veil would be fine for the outside layer. Having it smooth will help with less airflow resistance over the surface.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote