Family of 5 in scamp 13? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2021, 09:52 AM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
David---I haven't seen that reno before----it's fantastic! Those 3 bunks are works of art.

... the memories you make will last a lifetime.

Good luck!!
Uhhh yea.... and yea...
jwcolby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:56 PM   #22

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Before you pay $$$$ for a small camper I recommend you Rent a really small camper and live in it for a weel or two. The brand is not important. Make aure you have to convert the table i to a bed every day just like the small fiberglass one, shower and toilete just like the Fiberglass one and so on. It could save you some money in the long run.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:27 AM   #23

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Family of five? Simple, mom and dad sleep outside in a tent, and the three children sleep inside the trailer.

+10 Head to outdoorsy or the rental site of your choice, and rent a Scamp 13. Go on a week long vacation, and see how it works.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:32 AM   #24

Name: Jan
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
OMG I would hurt someone lol. I am one in a Scamp 13' and wish sometimes I'd ordered the 16'. Also, I disliked the top bunk and took it down. I could not sleep in that lower bunk. Felt like I was in a casket.
Jan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:50 AM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
LOL… that lower bunk is all mine. On a chilly night, guess who’s warmest?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:36 PM   #26

Name: Tom
Trailer: In the market
Indiana
Alright you all talked me out of the 13 footer! We are now on the hunt for a 17’ burro. I would greatly appreciate any leads. My wife is really excited about this and I want to make it happen as soon as I can - just missed out on 1 in Utah.
Tomo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:01 PM   #27

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo2 View Post
Might be a crazy question/idea!

We are in the market for a scamp - my wife and I + 3 boys under 5! Has anyone modified a 13footer to sleep 3 kids? Triple bunk beds? Bunk over the large bed/dinette?

I like the idea of keeping our first trailer small, use it til we out grow it then get a 16. For ease of towing and storage.
If you want to enjoy camping and the kids I'd go bigger. Kids need space and so do adults. My husband and I looked at a 13' and decided never. The floor area is about 3X3 ft. Imagine trying to cook on a rainy day and having 3 kids just having to sit in one spot for a long time. If all you did is sleep in it then it might work but otherwise I'd opt for something a little bigger. Just the 2 of us and our cat was enough in our 17' Casita. We leave the bed made up all the time since we need a good mattress and not the cushions to sleep on. So the little dinette on the side is our eating place, reading place and watching our 10" TV space.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:38 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Kids are not supposed to be in the trailer while you are cooking ( neither should you, actually ).
They should be outside building their own accommodation.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:07 PM   #29

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Kids are not supposed to be in the trailer while you are cooking ( neither should you, actually ).
They should be outside building their own accommodation.
It's not always possible for kids to be outside. If there's stuff cooking you need to be there to watch it every second. I would never leave something on the stove and go out.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:20 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
I would never leave something on the stove and go out.

That's not what I was suggesting.
Attached Thumbnails
chicken napoleon 2 - 1.jpg  
Old 07-14-2021, 11:51 PM   #31

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Quote:
Alright you all talked me out of the 13 footer! We are now on the hunt for a 17’ burro. I would greatly appreciate any leads. My wife is really excited about this and I want to make it happen as soon as I can - just missed out on 1 in Utah.
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post819606

Jump on it

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post818873
jwcolby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:34 AM   #32

Arizona
Registry
The first is a 16’ Casita Deluxe, which only has two beds, and the main dinette bed is the same small size (45”) as a 13’ Scamp. No help there for a family if 5.

If the Bigfoot has the optional over-gaucho bunk it could work well for 5. BIgfoots are wide and boxy, so they make for a somewhat harder tow.

All of the 17’ Burros I’ve seen have a double dinette/bed at the back and a single dinette bed at the front. Not sure how that helps with 5 people. The double hull design complicates major structural layout modifications, (like a triple bunk).

All have an on-board bathroom, which is a plus with young kids. But a 17’ trailer with 5 people on board generally requires a minimum 5000# tow rating. Are you prepared for that?
Old 07-15-2021, 07:36 AM   #33

Registry
The standard Casita Spirit, no front bath would work. Finding one used is almost impossible. But buying new is no problem as long as you are not in a hurry.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:51 AM   #34

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
The standard Casita Spirit, no front bath would work. Finding one used is almost impossible. But buying new is no problem as long as you are not in a hurry.
Agree, it’s the same layout as a Scamp 16’ layout 7, which is a little more common.

The 17’ version of the Spirit standard (which is the only one they still make) has a larger main bed (54”) than the 16’ers but runs heavier (especially on tongue weight). The Heritage standard has two sets of bunks, front and side. That gives an extra bed if needed or a place to stow clothes duffles. You give up the small dinette and larger side window for views and ventilation.

Scamp’s upper bunk has a higher weight rating than Casita (150# vs. 80#), though it’s not clear to me if the design is actually stronger or Casita is just being more conservative. People have devised ways to reinforce the bunks for larger kids and even smaller adults.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:47 AM   #35

Name: Tom
Trailer: In the market
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
All have an on-board bathroom, which is a plus with young kids. But a 17’ trailer with 5 people on board generally requires a minimum 5000# tow rating. Are you prepared for that?
The burros I’m looking at do not have a bathroom. From my research the stripped down version of the 17footer (no bathroom, no water tanks and no waste tanks) are in the 16-1800# range. Is my info incorrect?
Tomo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:01 AM   #36

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
The burros I’m looking at do not have a bathroom. From my research the stripped down version of the 17footer (no bathroom, no water tanks and no waste tanks) are in the 16-1800# range. Is my info incorrect?
You could be right. I haven’t seen one like that, but there’s a lot I haven’t seen!

As to weight, that could be possible, but those sound more like dry weights. I’m having a hard time imagining a 17’ anything loaded for camping weighing much less than 2500-3000#. The more basic the trailer, the more extra gear you have to bring, in my experience.

Late thought… Burro also made a 14’ wide body. Could that be what you saw?
Old 07-15-2021, 09:14 AM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Yes your information is incorrect. Sellers say anything. If weight is important then have them run it across a certified truck scale. Be sure to include tongue weight.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:34 AM   #38

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
Hopefully a helpful suggestion . You have already outgrown the 13 go for a 16 . Lee and Norma
Yes, I agree! I think you would be unhappy in the end with a 13’. What ever you choose, a tent would be a good addition and fun for the kids.
Robert Reighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 03:49 PM   #39

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Florida
We went through this back in the 70s with a VW camper van. The indisputable lesson was that kids are extremely persistent about growing, they just will not stop.
Enjoy them while you can, our son will be 60 this week, his sister is a few years younger.
The memories that you create now, you will savor when you are my age.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 01:04 PM   #40

Name: Craig
Arizona
Family of Five?

Yes, buy the 13-footer and try it for a year.

I have strong doubts you will enjoy your camper experience. A family of five in a 13-footer is a recipe for disaster. Save your pennies, you really need a 17-foot towable or a larger 5th wheel.
Craig Alan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp