Family of 5 in scamp 13? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2021, 12:25 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: In the market
Indiana
Family of 5 in scamp 13?

Might be a crazy question/idea!

We are in the market for a scamp - my wife and I + 3 boys under 5! Has anyone modified a 13footer to sleep 3 kids? Triple bunk beds? Bunk over the large bed/dinette?

I like the idea of keeping our first trailer small, use it til we out grow it then get a 16. For ease of towing and storage.
Tomo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 03:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
trailer

Hopefully a helpful suggestion . You have already outgrown the 13 go for a 16 . Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 03:30 PM   #3

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
Hopefully a helpful suggestion . You have already outgrown the 13 go for a 16 . Lee and Norma
Haha I expected to hear that! Well we are early in our search still! We hope to take a look at a 17’ burro this week. I was hoping I wouldn’t lose my entire pole barn with this purchase...
Old 07-11-2021, 03:34 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
I vote 16' and a tent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo2 View Post

We are in the market for a scamp - my wife and I + 3 boys under 5! Has anyone modified a 13footer to sleep 3 kids? Triple bunk beds? Bunk over the large bed/dinette?

I like the idea of keeping our first trailer small, use it til we out grow it then get a 16. For ease of towing and storage.
I think 3 is the best you can sleep in a new thirteen four in an older one with a bunk.(and any one with 3 boys already knows that the closest distance between two combatants is as far apart as possible)
Attached Thumbnails
thought.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:47 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I think it might be possible while they are little, especially if you could find a newer unit with the “big bed” option (2014+). You might even sleep one adult with the two smaller kiddos on the dinette bed and the other adult and kid in the bunks with no modification required. But realize you’ll outgrow that soon.

If you’re handy triple bunks would be the best long-term solution. Armadillo sells a 13’ model with a triple bunk setup. They might have a picture on their website to get an idea. Retrofitting it in a traditional 13’er would involve removing the whole front sofa bunk and building permanent bunks in its place. You’d lose the option to convert the front to seating (nice when you’re stuck in the trailer during a rain shower).

We are four in a Scamp 13. It started to get crowded when they began to outgrow the upper bunk at around 5’6” and/or 120#. A tent for older kids or the tow vehicle can provide extra berths when the trailer gets too small. Our Pilot can sleep one adult or two kids.

So… possible, but I think you’d be a whole lot happier in the 16’ layout 7. Given the difficulty of buying any molded trailer right now, I might even settle for a tent trailer to get started while I began my quest for a suitable larger molded trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:32 PM   #6

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Just to add to Jon's reply above about the "big bed" option (2014+).

The way you'll know if it has the big bed when looking at ads is the kitchen will have two upper cabinets. The standard bed will have 3 upper cabinets.

I think the deluxe models (birch or oak wood cabinet models) all have the big bed option already built in. Hopefully someone will correct me on that fact if I am wrong.
Old 07-11-2021, 11:01 PM   #7

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
I'll just throw it out there - you could sleep 5 in the Scamp 5th wheel. If you're planning lots of years camping with the kids it might be something to consider.
Good Luck,
; ) Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 11:40 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
I think the deluxe models (birch or oak wood cabinet models) all have the big bed option already built in. Hopefully someone will correct me on that fact if I am wrong.
Deluxe 13’ers have the larger bed, yes, but unless the buyer made a custom order, they do not have the front bunks.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:40 AM   #9

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Deluxe 13’ers have the larger bed, yes, but unless the buyer made a custom order, they do not have the front bunks.
Thank you for the clarification Jon. I forgot that front bunks in a Deluxe is a custom order.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:12 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The Armadillo builds a trailer with triple bunks. Perhaps by removing the front cabinetry in a Scamp you could gain enough height to do something similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Armadillo-TripleBunk.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:29 PM   #11

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Question 5 in a Scamp 13

If you aren't convinced by the above messages, perhaps rent a 13 footer before you buy. The kids will grow fast, and with the current high prices of newer Scamps or other 13 ft'ers, I urge you to consider a 16 used in good condition. Seems like there are more Casitas than Scamps being listed for sale, so check them out too.

I can't imagine 5 in a 13ft'er in the rain, especially young'uns that won't sit still. Difficult to cook meals in that situation. The 16s have a small dinette, good place to "park" (or separate) the kids.

But your current tow vehicle's tow rating will help you decide.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:52 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Good luck with 5 in a 13.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:22 PM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
This Trillium 4500, (15') has been modified for a three high bunk:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/registry/3622/

The bottom bed is on the floor.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:51 PM   #14

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
David---I haven't seen that reno before----it's fantastic! Those 3 bunks are works of art.

Tom:

Having raised 3 boys ---and also having had the 3 of them in 5 years, I know exactly what you are living.

We have had 4 adults in our 13' for 3 weeks and survived nicely. The reno idea that David has suggested is really a wonderful option.

Alternately, some models came with an optional hammock bunk that fits in across the main dinette.

That works for the youngest guy.

I remember our camping days when the boys were little with much fondness and know that whatever you decide to do, the memories you make will last a lifetime.

Good luck!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:14 PM   #15

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
CA
Five in a 13'

Quote:

People at campgrounds and supermarket parking lots constantly ask how many my Scamp 13 will sleep. I always answer, "One."

I have the front bathroom floor plan but would give the same answer if I had bunkbeds. Of course, I'm a grumpy old geezer, not a young man with a family.

Will see some of you in a week and a half at Bullard's Beach.

Bill D.
Damp Scamp Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:03 PM   #16

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
This Trillium 4500, (15') has been modified for a three high bunk:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/registry/3622/

The bottom bed is on the floor.
Very cool thanks for sharing! This definitely is something we will consider.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:09 PM   #17

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
David---I haven't seen that reno before----it's fantastic! Those 3 bunks are works of art.

Tom:

Having raised 3 boys ---and also having had the 3 of them in 5 years, I know exactly what you are living.

We have had 4 adults in our 13' for 3 weeks and survived nicely. The reno idea that David has suggested is really a wonderful option.

Alternately, some models came with an optional hammock bunk that fits in across the main dinette.

That works for the youngest guy.

I remember our camping days when the boys were little with much fondness and know that whatever you decide to do, the memories you make will last a lifetime.

Good luck!!
Thank you for your kind words! We’ve been wanting to get a fiberglass camper for years and keep putting it off - we say when #1 is X age then #2...and so on. So we are hitting the search hard and hoping to make a purchase before we change our mind!! My wife prefers the interior of the burros. So our hope is the find a 17’ burro. Seems like the 13 footers (all brands) are currently more plentiful & we just might have to make 1 work short term.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:33 AM   #18

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Thank you for your kind words! We’ve been wanting to get a fiberglass camper for years and keep putting it off - we say when #1 is X age then #2...and so on. So we are hitting the search hard and hoping to make a purchase before we change our mind!! My wife prefers the interior of the burros. So our hope is the find a 17’ burro. Seems like the 13 footers (all brands) are currently more plentiful & we just might have to make 1 work short term.
Tom, I have 5 kids. My trailer of choice is a Trillium 4500, (15'). This has exactly the same floor plan as a 13' trailer, just more generous proportions. My solution was to get a travel van that seats 7 and the rear bench converts to a double bed. We put four kids in the trailer and my wife and I used the double bed in the van and our youngest slept on a reclined and pillowed captains chair in the van. Worked for us, sort of.
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...7-a-49103.html
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ver-60777.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:48 AM   #19

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Everyone has to find their comfort level and can do so by being creative.

For example, for just my husband and me (ages 70+), we have found keeping the bed and bunks set up all the time works best for us. He sleeps on the bed and I sleep on the bottom bunk and we use the top bunk for storage/access to frequently used items. That way, I don't have to climb over him or bother his sleep when I have to get up at night. Of course, the bunks need to be returned to the "sofa mode" while traveling.

No one has mentioned using the space under the bed in a SCAMP as a sleeping space for a young one. While not ideal, perhaps it could be made cozy with a soft pad and a "puck light".

I suggest that the two smallest children be on the lower bunk in small sleeping bags placed "feet to feet". I also suggest putting the porta potty outside in a "potty tent" at night so that it does not take up floor space. Each family member will have to pack their clothing and toiletries creatively. Each member could pack a (large "Ziploc" plastic, drawstring, pillow case or net [ingerie] bag with each day's clothing set (underwear, socks, t-shirt, pants) and stores them in a duffle in the TV. Each night, each member takes their "clothing packet" to their bed area and they have it ready to wear the next day. The same bag can be used as a "dirty laundry" bag. (perhaps a card that says "clean" on one side and "dirty" on the other could be placed so it shows through the bag as appropriate. Note: You can also just roll the clothing into a packet and bundle with an extra large rubber band. I found these at STAPLES stores.

Here's an old backpacker's trick. Put clothing in the bottom of the sleeping bag (in a cloth bag, not plastic) while sleeping and the clothing will be warm while putting it on in the morning!

Lingerie bags, in all sizes, can be found at Target among other stores. Just call them "camping bags" or "mesh bags" for this purpose. They can have many other purposes. I use them instead of expensive "packing cubes". While camping, wash you dishes, put them in a bag (one per person) and hang them on a clothesline to dry. Voila! The camper's table setting is ready for the next meal and each camper is responsible for their own dish washing! I can hear the parents sighing from relief right now!
https://www.target.com/p/xl-mesh-was...27#lnk=sametab
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:49 AM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
With a roof rack?

I'm thinking it would work. Have you seen those new rooftop tents?
jwcolby123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp