fan for fridge? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
fan for fridge?

I'm tackling a changeover from the dorm fridge that the PO put in my Boler, to a 3-way. I'm installing my vents like the "almost good venting" from the site recommended a few other times on here Gas/Electric Fridge Venting

However, I'm not sure where people have installed the small 12v fans (or computer fans, etc) to help the airflow best? Thoughts or help? Thx!
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Luke, on my fridge I have two vents. The one on the bottom opens to access turning on the fridge, and the other one over it is rivited on. I put mine behind the upper vent before installing the cover. Since I had installed wood cabinets, I put in a 1X2 near the top of the opening and secured the two computer fans to it. I figured that since hot air goes up, it was best to put the fan on the top. I also have it blowing out.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Upper vent is ideal

The most efficient installation is in the upper vent blowing up and out to PULL the draft across the coils. Pushing from the bottom doesn't seem to work right.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Upper Fridge Vent.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	37846

Name:	Upper Fridge Vent Open.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	37847(partial install; missing 2nd fan)
I made mine accessible because I installed 2 fans, 1 Big and 1 small with a DPDT switch between them. The big fan draws 4X the amps as the small one which is much quieter. I use the big one for fridge cool down assistance at the beginning of a trip when plugged in to A/C power. The small one is used when Boondocking on battery power.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I installed one fan between the first set of coils blowing up towards the fins, just tywraped to coils. It's worked well.

Before installation it would get to the low 40's on a day like today, 92F, it's at 35 now.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #5

Registry
thanks! on a side note, I believe that I'll be cutting in the top vent above the belly band so it's above the fridge. This appears to be cutting into the fiberglassing that creates the flange that the belly band covers. Is this an issue, structurally?
Old 07-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
thanks! on a side note, I believe that I'll be cutting in the top vent above the belly band so it's above the fridge. This appears to be cutting into the fiberglassing that creates the flange that the belly band covers. Is this an issue, structurally?
I believe a good part of the fridge's problem is that it doesn't vent thru the roof like most RV's.

With that said, my solution seems to work well and requires no cutting and costs about $10. You can see it in the Modification under Preparing a Scamp 16.

It's very easy to try and can be done in 15 minutes.

Norm
Old 07-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #7

Registry
Thanks Norm - this is assuming that you have some outside venting tho, correct? Since my Boler had a dorm fridge, and assumably an ice box before that - I had no venting to the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I believe a good part of the fridge's problem is that it doesn't vent thru the roof like most RV's.

With that said, my solution seems to work well and requires no cutting and costs about $10. You can see it in the Modification under Preparing a Scamp 16.

It's very easy to try and can be done in 15 minutes.

Norm
Old 07-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Norm - this is assuming that you have some outside venting tho, correct? Since my Boler had a dorm fridge, and assumably an ice box before that - I had no venting to the outside.

Follow the manufactures installation instructions on how to vent. With a 3 way fridge it's absolutely necessary to vent to outside.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #9

Florida
Sorry, I've never had an ice box job but I did install a dorm fridge in place of one. I guess I'm too young (68 LOL) to remember them.

Actually one of my first memories is of the ice man bringing a block of ice in probably 1946.

Good luck cutting. I haven't cut thru any exterior walls yet but have cut a number of internal walls. It cuts pretty easily. I out line the hole to be cut with blue painters tape to protect the remaining surface.

Norm
Old 07-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #10

Registry
No problem, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something! As Byron said, my understanding was that vents were needed - and I cut them in last night! Went smooth.

NOW, how do you all keep water from soaking in the inside, when it's raining/driving???? Do you have some sort of vent cover?

Last question, does a 3-way fridge drain somehow? Mine is used and with no manual...
Old 07-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Did you try looking online for a manual ?

Bill K

Quote:
No problem, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something! As Byron said, my understanding was that vents were needed - and I cut them in last night! Went smooth.

NOW, how do you all keep water from soaking in the inside, when it's raining/driving???? Do you have some sort of vent cover?

Last question, does a 3-way fridge drain somehow? Mine is used and with no manual...
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Luke,
You can see how I prepped for mine here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-34320.html
If you notice, I used tongue and groove flooring and sheet metal to seal the fridge off from inside. I plan on putting fans somewhere between the sheet metal and the belly band in the pictures. I plan on using two computer fans that I'm told if you connect them in a certain way they will run at half the speed and draw less power. I'll ask my electrical guru's when the time comes to connecting them. I also plan on controlling them with a switch from the inside.
If you look closely at the second picture in my post, the fridge came with a thermocouple controlled fan just below the lower fins. Keep in mind this fridge was designed for a VW Westphalia camper that has its lower vent opening through the floor. If you search this site, you will notice that others mention lining your fridge compartment with reflectix.
Sure there is lots to think about, post pictures of what you do. I know my mods in the venting without the fans made a huge difference in how well the fridge works. I can only imagine the fans will help even more.
I have not yet experienced any structural problems putting the upper vents above the belly band. I imagine that is because the kitchen cabinets provide support in that area. Oh yeah, putting in dampers to direct the flow across the fins is important. (sort of a chimney effect) I've shown mine in my pics.

Roy

PS, the manuals for many fridges are in the document center here.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Luke;

Roy's suggestions are very good. Here are some photos of what I did in my case.
16 foot 1982 Fiber Stream pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

See photos #80-82 at the bottom of page 3 (if you use the 28 photo thumbnail display).

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #14

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Luke, What is the model make of your Fridge ? I've never seen anything to cover the vent cover for rain. It really shouldn't get too much in there while driving. And yes there is a clear plastic tube that you vent through the floor near the vent that you can open (lower) . You really should get a manual they have quite a bit of info in them.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 1971 Boler 13 ft
Quote:

I cut my vents as you described and haven't had any trouble with water. I did my best to keep the back of the fridge completely sealed from the interior and made sure there was a drain hole at the bottom to evacuate any water that did get in.

Russ

Name:	DSC_4396.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	37909
RussL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #16

Registry
Thanks for the pics Vic and Bill! Mine look exactly like Bill's pics, and we did drive thru rain last night and everything seemed to stay dry.

I had read thru Roy and Norm's posts on their work - and did a similar setup. However, since I'm tired of spending money on this whole project, I did use some stuff laying around - so it's a bit more tacked together than some of the craftsmanship I've seen on your trailers!.... I used some aluminimum flashing I had to build a little "hood" to the upper vent, used metal tape to seal all of the gaps in the hood as well as the plywood box I built to separate the fridge. Mounted the fan just inside the upper vent to draw up. Will attach a pic here before the vents went in.

Tim, I have an old Dometic RM2201 that I picked up used - and have just found a manual online. Unfortunately, nothing in the manual addresses a drain line, and I'm not certain where it'd drain from? There is a hole in the floor, I've always assumed from the original ice box, that I've caulked over. It would be easy to pull that out and drop a hose in if I knew where it drained.

Lastly, now if only I could get the fridge to fire up It bench tested fine, but no-go since it went in the camper. Guess I'll tackle it again tomorrow. Thanks for all of the help!
Attached Thumbnails
fridge vents and fan.jpg  
Old 07-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Luke, the RM2201 three-way that's in my 23 year old Scamp doesn't drain anywhere. There IS a drip tray (inside) at the very back under the refer portion. It goes the entire width of the refrigerator and is removable. I've never noticed more than a couple of tablespoons of water in it. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Luke, the RM2201 three-way that's in my 23 year old Scamp doesn't drain anywhere. There IS a drip tray (inside) at the very back under the refer portion. It goes the entire width of the refrigerator and is removable. I've never noticed more than a couple of tablespoons of water in it. YMMV
Thanks Donna! Does yours have a little drain hole inside the fridge, in the back wall just under the fins? I see one in mine, wonder if it should have a plug, or if it would end up in the drip tray?
Old 08-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #19

Name: Sue & Gene
Trailer: 1989 Scamper 16ft
Illinois
Registry
We recently added a dorm frig and a 5000 BTU A/C unit, where the old original frig was located in our 16 Ft Scamp. We found a 9 inch clip on fan (electric) that we have mounted at the top of cabinet, behind the frig and A/C unit. We also have the original vent that was there for the old Frig, and drilled holes in the cabinet facing the bench up front, for added air flow.
Susanm34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #20

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
I installed one 12v 4" computer fan on the upper refridgerator vent facing outwards as well. It is switched. It does drastically improve the cooling of the fridge.

I also lined the top of my fridge compartment with reflectrix and duct sheet metal to direct the hot air out the upper vent. I did this mainly as a way of reducing the fridge heat that was bleading up into the interior.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge