Fantastic Fan Install in Bigfoot - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2016, 05:44 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Yes, you're right.

I know better...but I don't have a heat gun, and in the past used a lighter to shrink the heat shrink...with not so good results. Just as easy to burn the stuff. So while I know that's the "right" way to do it, it isn't happening for me right now.
Once in a pinch used a hair dryer and it actually worked.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #22

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I'll own a heat gun before I own a hair dryer.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:27 PM   #23

Montana
But also when I look at how Bigfoot themselves wired stuff...they just used connectors with no protection at all. No tape, no shrink wrap. Nothing.

Not that that's a good thing...
Old 02-25-2016, 06:39 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
But also when I look at how Bigfoot themselves wired stuff...they just used connectors with no protection at all. No tape, no shrink wrap. Nothing.

Not that that's a good thing...
LOL Bigfoot is not the only ones, so do many/most of other trailer manufactures..... but its that one time that some connection 10 years down the road manages to come just a little loose that is hidden away someplace that will have you pulling your hair out trying to find the cause as to why something works sometimes and not others.... most of us with older trailers have been there done that!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #25

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Nice job. You can hopefully see how a shop did ours in the picture below. Sorry that you can't really see but a corner of the fan, but this is a crop of another photo and it's the only pic I have that shows the ceiling at all really. They tied into the ceiling fixture and used "surface wiring" covered with a cap to hide the wires. No need to fish wires through anything, but yours looks better! Sorry I didn't see your original post earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1045 edit 1.jpg  
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:13 PM   #26

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
Looks great Zach, thanks for thinking of us as you were doing it. Hope all is watertight.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:55 AM   #27

Montana
Looks great Kathy. I would have actually preferred to tie into that light. I think the circuit it's on only has that light and the other light over the front dinette, so it definitely has room for more amps going through it.

The wires in my last photo of the wiring post are what I'm looking to tie into to, and as you can see from the photo, they're already spliced and quick-connected. And I think there's a lot more on that circuit, like the range hood fan and monitor panel. My new vent "manual" doesn't even say how many amps it pulls so I'll need to look that up to see if feel comfortable tying into those wires.

I like your wood paneling! Looks like some years they used a bit more "interesting" wood than others. Or maybe it just depended on what happened to come into the shop that day.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:00 AM   #28

Montana
Thanks Rick. I'll get up there with lap sealant today and they we'll see. Rain forecasted for tomorrow so it's time! Unfortunately I'll be out of town so I won't get a chance to see if there are any drips.

But where the flange is around the fan on the roof, I definitely got all the old silicone removed. Then two layers of butyl tape and I definitely had some squeezing out all the way around when I tightened it down. The old lap sealant I was too lazy to clean up starts just outside of where the butyl tape under the flange ends, so I think I should be good.

I will let you know.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:49 PM   #29

Montana
Put some lap sealant on the roof. Hopefully this does the trick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	92887 Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	92888

Wiring will happen in a week or so...

Next up for re-sealing:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	92889
Old 03-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #30

Montana
Well we had some pretty serious rain over the last week, and I don't see any signs of leaking around the new vent. Not sure if it would necessarily be so obvious as a drip from right around the vent, or if it would just make it's way into different areas of the ceiling and eventually stain the ceiling...but nothing obvious going on.

I just got two new vent caps, and am considering replacing that small bathroom vent in the last photo. Once the rain clears up I'll get back on it.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:49 PM   #31

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
What size is the opening on that bathroom vent? Mine had a standard 14x14 opening but with a passive vent. I ran some new wiring and replaced it with a powered exhaust vent..
Big improvement in the Summer.

Walt
Old 03-07-2016, 08:03 AM   #32

Montana
Hey Walt. It's 9x9. Sounds like a lot people cut the hole bigger to allow for a standard size, and that would mean I could add a fan. I don't know...Probably the right thing to do but I might just stick with the 9x9. Not sure.

I need to stop spending money on this thing for a little while, but I also want to do things "right". The previous owner said that this vent leaks a little in major downpours. So I want replace it, because looking at it, I think it's more likely that it's leaking because of the cracked corner of the lid than because of needing a resealing. So I don't think that resealing it would be any kind of "bandaid" fix. I think the only way to stop the leak is replacing it.

But another $150 or so on a powered fan vent, plus taking the sawsall to my roof, just doesn't sound great right now...

We'll see!
Old 03-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #33

SW Virginia
Zach
A cabin exhaust fan like the Fantastic or MaxxAir is way overkill for the bathroom. Take a look at
Vortex Replacement Vent Fan Upgrade - Heng's Industries 90043-CR - Vents - Camping World

or maybe even better,

Heng's 71112-C2G1 Roof Vent, Powered, Plastic, White 12vdc

Walt
Old 03-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #34

Montana
Ah, thanks. Yeah a little more affordable. Looks like either way I'd be cutting a bigger hole. First one I'd still need to buy a vent plus the fan.

Second link is probably the best option...
Old 03-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #35

SW Virginia
Agreed.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:14 AM   #36

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
ZachO
Yours is 11 years older than mine so may differ.
In mine, there's a thick layer of insulation between the roof and the ceiling.
Any wiring just runs through the insulation.
I've seen it when
1. Replaced the AC
2. Replaced the Fantastic fan with a MaxxAir fan
3. Replaced the passive vent in the bathroom ceiling with a powered one.
4. Ran wiring for a reading light behind one seat at the dinette. The light centered over the table is useless for reading.

Walt
Walt, I need to install either a Fantastic Fan or a MaxxAir fan in my Lil Bigfoot. Would you elaborate about why you replaced the FF?

Thanks!

Tags
bigfoot