Fantastic Fan question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2006, 07:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
We are planning to get a Fantastic Fan for our 13' Scamp. We are thinking about getting the one that automatically opens & closes, has the rain sensor, etc. To those of you who have this model, is it worth the extra $$? And those who have the manual model, do you wish you had the automatic? Thanks for your feedback!
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
And those who have the manual model, do you wish you had the automatic?
It may be just me, But I bought the Honda Odyssey [b]LX for the same reason. I'd rather do it myself. I don't have little kids that require so much attention all the time that I don't have a hand free to close the door myself. (How did Mom cope in the 50's?)

We leave our pets home (2 Cats) when we go camping. Having pets with you would be the only reason to get an automatic unit IMHO.

THEY would not waste the money.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stormy_small.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	4254

"We have servants that do those things."
Attached Thumbnails
Squeeker_small.jpg  
Old 07-30-2006, 01:17 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Sandra,

I would recommend NOT getting the rain sensor model.

I put one in my previous trailer and I have to say it is a poor design. The rain sensor is under the lid. When it rains and the sensor gets wet, the lid closes. As soon as the sensor dries, the lid opens. If it's still raining, the lid closes...

I watched mine in a downpour. About every 2 or 3 minutes it would open fully for maybe 30 seconds, then close again. Not only does this waste DC power, but it gets wet in the trailer.

It's better to add a cover over the standard model then you can leave it open. That's what I have now and it works great.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Thermostat si.

Sensor no.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Thermostat si.

Sensor no.

I obfuscate; that's what I meant to say.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:01 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
I have just installed a fantastic vent fan, no thermostat, no rain sensor.

I put a MaxxAir vent cover over it to eliminate the need for a rain sensor. It's cheaper, andmore likely not to malfunction!

I didn't go for the thermostat model because I want to control what's drawing power in my trailer.

Victor
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:39 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I'm sorry if this is off-topic, because Sandra is asking specifically about a Fantastic Fan, but there's another solution...

The MaxxFan doesn't need a rain sensor, because it works in the rain. It is essentially the same thing as the combination of MaxxAir cover and Fantastic Fan which Victor mentioned, but in one unit, which folds down when closed, and which does not violate the fan manufacturer's recommendations.

The MaxxFan is not available with the mount designed for thin roofs (like the Fantastic Fan option), so creative mounting is required, as described in various topics earlier in this forum.

I'm quite satisfied with our MaxxFan, including with its operation in the rain.

Morgan, your description of the cyclic thrashing of the rain-sensing Fantastic Fan is great. It also makes technical sense - the whole idea seems flawed to me, too.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:01 PM   #8

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I'm with Victor, except ours came with the thermostat model. The thermostat works fine, but I have never been in a situation where it would have been helpful (yet). On the other hand the setting range is so great that adjusting it so that it has no effect is easy. It has no drawbacks that way.
I agree about the Maxxair.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:32 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
One of the really nice things about a fantastical fan is that if you decide you want the thermo or rain sensor later, you can order and install them in any model at a later date.

Be sure to go to their site and look at the profiles if you are installing the fan yourself so you get the right one for a thin RV roof (stick-builts have thicker roofs) -- Their service people will be downright happy to assist you with all kinds of details.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Hi Sandra,

You might want to take a look at the MaxxFan if you haven't already done so. No rain sensor needed.

http://www.maxxair.com/products/MaxxFan.aspx

We had about three hours of driving rain and high wind this past Friday night while camped on the Outer Banks and ours performed flawlessly. The Window/Maxx vents on our rear side windows provided enough airflow to allow us to sleep comfortably with the fan on its medium setting.

I'm sure the Fantastic Fan is a great product. We just felt the style and features of the MaxxAir better met our needs. Regardless of which product you choose, these things are great if you don't have AC or if you camp without electrical hookups.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:35 PM   #11

Quote:

Morgan, your description of the cyclic thrashing of the rain-sensing Fantastic Fan is great. It also makes technical sense - the whole idea seems flawed to me, too.
The idea is OK, but the design is flawed. If the sensor were mounted on top of the lid, it would work great. However, that would bring up a whole new set of problems; sun damage to the sensor and keeping it clean.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
I seem to recall that when I had a Casita on order, I went ahead and bought both the Fantasic fan and Maxxair cover. I ended up taking back the Maxxair cover because it states in the directions that come with the Fantastic fan to NOT install a Maxxair type cover with it. Apparently the opening in the Maxxair cover does not allow the optimum air flow required by the fan. Anyone else remember seeing those instructions with their fan?
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Lots of very helpful information--thank you all! We're going to look at the other models. Sandra
BTW, cute kitties, Frederick!
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:20 AM   #14

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Ron,
There are two different styles of Maxxaire vent covers. One is about $40.00 and is not rated for use with the Fantastic Fan due to the inadequate size of the exhaust openings. The other cover is about $80.00, the Maxxaire 800, and is designed with the Fantastic Fan in mind. It has larger openings so there is no stress on the motor. We find it an excellent mod which can be relied upon to prohibit rain from coming into the trailer. One Casita owner stated that it even stopped hurricane driven rain from any water intrusion. Don
Donald Stahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #15

Quote:
The thermostat works fine, but I have never been in a situation where it would have been helpful ([b]yet).
I found the thermostat essential! On hot summer days when we want to go into a museum or restaurant for any length of time, we put our dog in the UHaul with Fantastic Fan open and thermostat set to exhaust air when the temp at the ceiling gets too hot. Down on the floor, the dog stays nice and cool, even on the hottest days - and the fan only runs when needed.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:07 AM   #16

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry

Hey Don, thanks for your reply. Hopefully, it will help other Fantastic Fan buyers choose the correct Maxxair cover. I just bought a new Bigfoot with the Fantastic Fan. Now I know which cover to buy!!

Ron
In the beautiful Pacific NW where it rains six months out of the year.
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:03 PM   #17

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Quote:
We are planning to get a Fantastic Fan for our 13' Scamp. We are thinking about getting the one that automatically opens & closes, has the rain sensor, etc. To those of you who have this model, is it worth the extra $$? And those who have the manual model, do you wish you had the automatic? Thanks for your feedback!
Sandra
Sandra,
"Nuestra Casita" has a Fantastic Fan with a MaxxAire cover. She has been subjected to some enormous downpours while the vent was open without allowing a single drop inside. If you don't have an air conditioner and garage door clearance is an issue, buy the automatic fan. Otherwise, spend the price difference on the cover. I didn't buy the fancy fan with automatic bells & whistles because we leave the vent open 24/7, on-the-road or parked. No condensation problems whether in use or in storage. When more air movement is needed we then turn on the fan.
MaxxAire window vents also help to alleviate that muggy inside atmosphere, when you are trapped inside because it's warm and raining outside.

That's my story & I'm stickin' to it It's worked flawlessly for us for 3 years and about 9,000 miles.
Now you get to pick and choose with a little more background... ?

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:33 AM   #18

Check out Aero-Flo vent covers - we've been delighted with ours. No leaks after 20,000 miles, and - I believe - better ventilation than other brands.