Fantastic Vents X series (clamp on) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The "Thin Roof Spacer" that Fantastic Fan sent to me for the Scamp roof was an "inside" spacer that filled the space between the inside of the roof and the inside trim. Although I guess it could also be used on the outside, it would give you two places for leaks instead of just one.

BTW: If you put spacers on the outside you are still dealing with thin roof material ,if that's what you have.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #22

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
My hole less FF install appeared to be well attached with some sort of white glue. While switching the lens cover to an insulated one i was
able to thoroughly inspect the installation on both of my fans, I like the clamp system as a way to eliminate screw holes in the roof. I'd be surprised it would come off or leaked, JMHO.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #23

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
I wouldn't expect the clamp version to ever come off, however I could see it shifting under bad vibration, which is likely why Trillium told me to add some fasteners to it. I'm betting they had to fix one before.

If you're worried about head room, make sure you buy the high profile vent to start with. It sticks out of the roof much more than the low profile vents. Then if you need to make a spacer it won't be as thick or you might not even need one.
Attached Thumbnails
hplpbases.jpg  
Old 04-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #24

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Just got off the phone with FF. Wow, having a thin roof makes buying a vent a pain. I have to order from someone I dont want to order with. From his emails and he wont return my calls it will not be a happy happy happy deal.
FF told me to order from him. Looks like the only guy for the X series vents. He said I can put the spacer which is made for the inside on the outside if I use Geocel All In One and or Roof seal tape. Guess it will never come off,lol. I find these fans cheaper on the net but they can't or wont bother with the X series clamp system, so I am stuck.
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #25

Florida
Can anyone point to another vent fan besides FF? I guess the knobs on these things will stick out so I can knock it with my head. And by only having one person to buy the X series from makes it worse. Even if I order today I wont have it for another 2 and a half weeks. And the bill will be coming close to 400 bucks. 400 bucks plus another 150 for a A/C is 550. For just 200 more I can buy a mini split a/c system like the ones you see in homes. 9300 btu and I can install that within 3 hours easy.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
Can anyone point to another vent fan besides FF?
Maxxair is the other big player.

Airxcel | Maxxair | Maxxfan
Old 05-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #27

Florida
I went and ordered the Maxxair 4500K with remote ( because the wife is short) and I can take the knob off so no one (me) can hit their head! There were a couple of things I liked better with the Maxxair over FV. I went to Home Depot and bought a stick of solid pvc, the same kind you use on the outside of your house. It is 3/4 x 1 1/2 for 6 bucks. I will make a spacer for the outside. I ordered the fan with Amazon with the Prime 2 day shipping thinking I was going to get it Saturday. When I found out I wasn't going to get it till Wed I raised cane. So now I get it today plus they gave me 20 bucks in my act with them. So now the fan cost me 200. Maybe not the best price but CW is a lot more!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Not sure what kind of solid PVC you are referring to Shawn. Perhaps you can take a few pixs of your installation processes when you get it going.
thanks
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #29

Florida
I looked it up on HD and it says Veranda White PVC Trim. Here is the link , they sell it by the stick too around 6 bucks. I think I will use 3/16 bolts on the corners and screw in between. I am making this up as I go along so things will change.
Veranda 3/4 in. x 1-1/2 in. x 8 ft. White PVC Trim (15-Pack)-IN5416404 at The Home Depot

Old 05-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #30

Florida
I am not done with it but I think it works good. I did take the inside knob off the fan so I wont ever ram my head on it. I am not done with it but here is where I left off.
On the inside I think we might put that metal looking stuff from HD. It is plastic but looks like metal. As anyone used this stuff?
Attached Thumbnails
100_0118.jpg   100_0123.JPG  

Old 05-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #31

Florida
On the inside I think we might put that metal looking stuff from HD. It is plastic but looks like metal. As anyone used this stuff?
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #32

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Thanks for pictures. That looks exactly like the tin metal that was used architecturally in the old houses to line the ceilings. Let us know how that turns out. The PVC I think was a good choice.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #33

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
Thanks for pictures. That looks exactly like the tin metal that was used architecturally in the old houses to line the ceilings. Let us know how that turns out. The PVC I think was a good choice.
Thanks Gmike. I really like the pvs boards. This was the first time I ever worked with them.
The ceiling tile is a bit $$ but since it is such a small space it will be worth it. I will have to do some planning before I lay it down. We already said we are going to do a bamboo floor. I did put "some" primer on the walls and it made the place look so much better. So next weekend we will prime all the walls. We are also thing on painting the wood area too. I still have to install another vent (non fan) next weekend.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:11 PM   #34

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Clamp fan style of Fantastic Vent Fan

You were right about how helpful they are at Fantastic fan.
I spoke with them about thin roof vehicles and was told the Clamp fan models (with an "X" in the model number) are made for this application.
I was sent a PDF about them that has some installation pics.
The PDF is here hopefully and I'll try to put it in document section.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A-Liner and Chalet Installation Tips.pdf (334.5 KB, 10 views)
Thomas Haney is offline   Reply With Quote