Fiberglass on 4 Wheels - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2009, 11:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2000 14 ft Widebody Burro / 1998 Land Rover Discovery
this may not be anyone else's cup of tea, but I am starting to morph to the concept of 4x4 instead of hauling a trailer, not for off road purposes, but more for back roads... places unaccessable when pulling a trailer- so I have been perusing the forum at expeditionportal.com and found these photos; a bigfoot and a casita on a Mitubishi Fuso FG 140 4x4:
Attached Thumbnails
fuso_112.jpg   fuso_115a.jpg  

fuso_124.jpg  
Mac B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Mac, that makes my husband drool!

When we traveled to Glacier, Yellowstone and Teton National Parks we saw several expedition vehicles. Most were from Northern Europe.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Mac

There have been a couple of similar conversions posted on FGRV. One that I remember was on a cab-over JEEP with a diesel engine conversion. Possibly a Boler mounted on it. I think the owner built it to live in while doing some forest research. Another person was talking about putting a Scamp or Casita on a Unimog.

Anyway, do a little searching on this forum and you might find some examples to work from.

Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #4

the unimog is the ultimate go anywhere vehicle... but it is so pricey. The FG on the other hand is priced at $37,000 for a 2010 model, which is LESS than a Chevy or Ford diesel 1 ton pickup truck!

Yes, I drool over it too, as I think of all the places I would like to explore but I don't dare with a trailer!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
The Bigfoot on the left belonged to Carl Hunter of Vancouner, BC and has been driven to China on the Silk Route Road and the length of South America. He sold it this year I believe.
The Casita is mine and I use it as part of my chuck wagon cooking hobby. The guard cats keep the squirrels away. The RoadHippo gets me into the rough country and still gives me some comfort. Beats all those years in a tent. It is setup for extended dry camping. Since this picture, a 100 watt solar panel, extra storage , and extra batteries have been added. A small wind generator is in the process of being mounted at the rear. An additional 100 watt panel is in the planning stages. I'll post a more up to date picture if anyone is interested
I am not sure who the last one belongs to but may be just another shot of Carl's. I'll do some checking in my files.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #6

how incredible!! I am definately interested in more photos if you have them. Were those trips on the Silk Road and South America done on the Mitsubishi FG chassis?
Old 11-17-2009, 07:52 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
how incredible!! I am definately interested in more photos if you have them. Were those trips on the Silk Road and South America done on the Mitsubishi FG chassis?
Yes, Carl used the Mitsu FG-639 chassis with the Bigfoot. Don Green of Phoenix has a custom camper on the same chassis and has traveled in Central America, South America, New Zealand, Australia, West Africa, and Scandinavia as of the last time I checked. See Adventure Learning Foundation, www.questconnect.org. For more FUSO FG based units see www.expeditionportal.com. See Forum/Expedition Campers. Also check out All Terrain Warriors. Some great designs fron OZ.
I'll pull together some of my more recent photos.
Thanks for the interest.
Bruce

Click image for larger version

Name:	2767472930101252971S425x425Q85.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	25078

Curbside wheel well has been converted into a storage compartment with drop down table top that can hold a 2 burner stove and small prep area.
Attached Thumbnails
2873257610101252971S425x425Q85.jpg   2962782070101252971S425x425Q85.jpg  

Old 11-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #8

from many points it makes good sense to mount a fiberglass rv onto a 4x4 chassis flatbed vs building an expedition box. for one thing, I can see the cost way below some of the expedition vehicles, secondly would be the lightweight advantage. All the way around it looks great.

here's the link I got the photos from:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ead.php?t=9299

I have also been following the thread of the guy that put an Alaskan Camper on a Ute flat bed he had mounted on his pickup truck:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ead.php?t=9502

I like the idea of the Alaskan Camper, because of it's telescopic top for the advantage of center of gravity & height restrictions while traveling. A photo of his rig has become my computer background!

Attached Thumbnails
DSC01826.jpg  
Old 11-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #9

wow, my wife just told me to go ahead and line up the purchase of a brand new Mitsubishi Fuzo FG140, that we can afford the payment NO PROBLEM... and to start shopping around for an ample fiberglass unit to mount on it so we can travel the back roads of North and South America in style!

.... and then I woke up....

Old 11-17-2009, 09:56 PM   #10

Registry
MacB,
Did you check out the thread about the Queensland Caravan etc Show. Some interesting designs.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/show...light=Brisbaney

Question to Moderator: How did you shrink the pictures down? Is there a way for me to do that as I post them? Thanks for doing it as it makes a neater looking page as well as not using up so much space.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #11

no, I hadn't seen that thread... wow, now I am not one for expos but that is one I would have wanted to go to! there are more designs than I imagined!

to shrink photos, I just use MS Publisher; it allows me to shrink it and/or save it with a smaller pixel. MS Paint will do the same thing, you can skew the photo horizontally and vertically by percentage.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Yes, Carl used the Mitsu FG-639 chassis with the Bigfoot. Don Green of Phoenix has a custom camper on the same chassis and has traveled in Central America, South America, New Zealand, Australia, West Africa, and Scandinavia as of the last time I checked. See Adventure Learning Foundation, www.questconnect.org. For more FUSO FG based units see www.expeditionportal.com. See Forum/Expedition Campers. Also check out All Terrain Warriors. Some great designs fron OZ.
I'll pull together some of my more recent photos.
Thanks for the interest.
Bruce

Attachment 25078

Curbside wheel well has been converted into a storage compartment with drop down table top that can hold a 2 burner stove and small prep area.
judging by your experience, which would you prefer, the lightweightness of a fiberglass unit mounted, or a telescopic Alaskan camper that lowers for travel, as pictured. Also, what is the estimated mpg of these beasts?
Attached Thumbnails
12footalaskancamper.JPG  
Old 11-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #13

Registry
Mac B,
I like the concept of the Alaskan but prefer the layout of an RV. Considering the places I have been going, the fiberglass egg seemed to be the best design. Nothing to shake apart like a stick built would. Light so that I would stay within the weight constraints of the FUSO and still have adequate payload, strong, and somewhat aerodynamic. Handles cross winds quite nicely. Considering some of the roads I have been on, I have yet to lose a rivet in 5 years. My mounting system may have something to do with that.

Fuel mileage is variable. I get approximately 10 mpg on the Interstates at 63 mph, just below the redline on the tach. Lower speeds like I do in the mountains or back roads, it jumps to around 14 - 15. Lower rpms better mileage. There has been much discussion
on-line as how to improve highway speed and mileage. No easy or cheap solution yet.