Fiberglass Panels From a Sailboat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2015, 08:09 PM   #1

Name: Samuel
Trailer: Burro
New York
Fiberglass Panels From a Sailboat

Hey everyone... I'm getting ready to decommission a large fiberglass sailboat (has extensive structural damage on one side) and was wondering if anyone thinks it would be worth cutting off some panels (some curved, some straight) before sending it to the crusher.

My Burro doesn't need anything but a rock guard (looking at the hatch and scratching my head), but is this worth doing?

'79 Burro, Rochester NY
samuelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I think it's a great idea if you've got the room to store the pieces. I cut up an old FG camper shell and have used a number of the flat panels fabing up some thing.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #3

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
I would if I had a boat and the space.
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I would keep at least some pieces if I had the room. Never know when you want to patch or change something up. May even use some pieces as dividers in the cupboards etc.

As you need a rock guard is there no pieces that might work for that? Scamps rock guards are a simple flat piece of fiberglass with an edging on them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:48 PM   #5

Florida
You could make a nice rock guard/awning out of some of that.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 05-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #6

Name: Walt
Trailer: 2008 Casita SD
Texas
I always keep fiberglass panels. Never can tell when you might need it for something. What are you going to do with the sail? I am remaking/repairing a small sailboat and need a sail for it + other items. Thanks, Walt
wecan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:17 PM   #7

New York
It's a 25 foot Macgregor. I do have some sails... was planning to sell what I could before junking the hull.

'79 Burro, Rochester NY
Old 05-16-2015, 08:50 PM   #8

Florida
Some small sail would make a unique shade awning for your trailer. Got any portholes?

Old 05-18-2015, 07:42 AM   #9

New York
Lol no portholes. I might do the triangle awning thing. Kinda wondering how many panels to cut out.

'79 Burro, Rochester NY
Old 05-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelm View Post
My Burro doesn't need anything but a rock guard (looking at the hatch and scratching my head), but is this worth doing?
Was just thinking about your hull section just under the rub rail at the cockpit area. It should be flat enough with just a bit of curve, top to bottom to make up a nice rock guard or two.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:02 PM   #11

New York
Getting ready to take the boat to the landfill next week. Anyone want fiberglass panels? I have found that if I cut them with an angle grinder they come out pretty clean. Not sure how I would get them to you though ;-)

'79 Burro, Rochester NY
Old 06-12-2015, 09:16 PM   #12

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Boler shopping
British Columbia
The first thing that came to my mind was I bet someone could make a pretty cool trailer out of a sailboat hull ......
AngryCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:49 PM   #13

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
I have a 25 foot McGregor, too!

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your boat. I hope no one was hurt with her.

My McGregor has a stove in it that I love with the rails to keep pots on as well as a nice cutting board. There's a lot of goodies in my McGregor I'd use in a camper, especially if I was renovating one as some do here.

The booth seating in mine is fiberglass and the table rests as our campers do.

My other sailboat, the C&C has a built in toilet which I would move to a camper in a NY minute, it's so nice. Does your McGregor have this feature?
Mine doesn't and it's alright. But, I do prefer the bathroom of the other.

The sail would be wonderful as an awning, it would ride in a track you could fabricate very easily. It has grommets, it would be pretty easy to use. I was actually thinking about using an extra sail I have in just this way for my Puck. The McGregor sail would be large enough to make an awning for both the side and back of your camper, which would be nice for some trips.

I can't believe there wouldn't be more things...fans, interior lights, the cool running lights, the teak flooring, other built-ins that people would snap up if they saw photos of what's inside your boat.

My sailboat top lifts up on these large arms so it's raised when sailing. I love that. It would be a great feature that's not so different than what I have on my Eriba Puck.

What is your year and model? Perhaps people could look it up. Photos would be great, samuelm.

Again, sorry to hear about you sailboat. Are you going to replace her?

Cheers!
Gigi
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:21 AM   #14

New York
Not going to replace the boat. Attached the last picture ever...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1435598499.581928.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	85935

'79 Burro, Rochester NY
Old 06-29-2015, 03:24 PM   #15

Florida
Oh well, on to better things for you. Hopefully you salvaged most of the interior. If you have things to sell I am looking for my Boler reno. Have you listed anything on this site?

Old 06-29-2015, 03:58 PM   #16

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelm View Post
Not going to replace the boat. Attached the last picture ever...Attachment 85935

'79 Burro, Rochester NY
Goodbye old sailboat!

However, unless you had the proper protective gear...cutting or grinding off a fiberglass boat into panels is good way to shorten your life span!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote