Fiberglass Repair Suggestions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2015, 02:31 PM   #1

Name: Bryan
Trailer: In the market
California
Fiberglass Repair Suggestions

Hi guys, I have a question about a hinge that is breaking out from the fiberglass from fatigue and age. It looks like the metal hinge is just molded into the fiberglass and now it needs some more support.

I was thinking about just filling it up with epoxy (between the existing fiberglass and the metal hinge), but thought someone might recommend to strengthen it more by adding some fiberglass in there or maybe its a bad idea, but I dont know. Im new to fiberglass.
Attached Thumbnails
Photo May 23, 4 43 43 PM.jpg  
bhollehday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I , like others would be happy to offer suggestions but I/we need a little more input.
The picture you posted is great but more angles are necessary in order to
get a better idea what your up against.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:17 PM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
I , like others would be happy to offer suggestions but I/we need a little more input.
The picture you posted is great but more angles are necessary in order to
get a better idea what your up against.
Fred
Hope this helps.

Its solid enough to hold the weight, but its just a little fragile and just needs some extra support. Im not going to add brackets or bolts, I think that an epoxy/glue/fiberglass will do the job just fine, just need some incite on what would be the strongest method.
Attached Thumbnails
Photo May 24, 3 13 03 PM.jpg   Photo May 24, 3 12 52 PM.jpg  

Photo May 24, 3 12 45 PM.jpg  
Old 05-25-2015, 01:49 PM   #4

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhollehday View Post
Hope this helps.

Its solid enough to hold the weight, but its just a little fragile and just needs some extra support. Im not going to add brackets or bolts, I think that an epoxy/glue/fiberglass will do the job just fine, just need some incite on what would be the strongest method.

Where is this? Is it under the Bigfoot? What does that hold up or does it hold up anything?
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:55 PM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardnpondr View Post
Where is this? Is it under the Bigfoot? What does that hold up or does it hold up anything?
Its a bed cover for a truck so its just hinging its own weight up. It holds its wight just fine but if you yank on it you can hear cracking fiberglass and see some movement from the hinge or foot. So I planned on either just filling the gap with epoxy, or maybe adding some fiberglass in there as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Photo May 23, 4 43 43 PM.jpg  
Old 05-25-2015, 02:06 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Bryan, how about a couple pics from a bit of a distance, in the closed and open position. I think I know what you're asking but can't get a reference with the close up shots.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Car body repair or boat yards

Both work with fiberglass.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:12 PM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Bryan, how about a couple pics from a bit of a distance, in the closed and open position. I think I know what you're asking but can't get a reference with the close up shots.
here you go
Attached Thumbnails
Photo May 25, 1 13 47 PM.jpg   Photo May 25, 1 13 42 PM.jpg  

Photo May 25, 1 13 37 PM.jpg   Photo May 25, 1 13 26 PM.jpg  

Old 05-25-2015, 05:50 PM   #9

California
Well, it doesn't look like a hinge to me but an offset clip to hold the front down. Am I right? If that is the case and you have clearance with seal and top of the bottom box you should be able to incase the flat part with some fiberglass cloth and mat. I would think one layer should be fine.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Well, it doesn't look like a hinge to me but an offset clip to hold the front down. Am I right? If that is the case and you have clearance with seal and top of the bottom box you should be able to incase the flat part with some fiberglass cloth and mat. I would think one layer should be fine.
its, what i call a hinge, as it gives the front of the bed cover a piviting point to swing up on when you lift the back of the bed cover up. I dont completely understand where your talking about fiberglassing. Are you saying just wrap a sheet around the hinge and resin over it and between?
Old 05-25-2015, 11:08 PM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhollehday View Post
its, what i call a hinge, as it gives the front of the bed cover a piviting point to swing up on when you lift the back of the bed cover up. I dont completely understand where your talking about fiberglassing. Are you saying just wrap a sheet around the hinge and resin over it and between?
With no pic of the mating unit it sounds and looks like the basic reason for this tab is to hold the lid down for travel. Never seen a lid like that before. BTW, is the other one still holding OK? I can't bring it up close enough to see it. Looks like the tab should sit flat against the lid normally. Roughing up the glass on each side of the larger flat plate a few inches and glassing over that section should tighten it up. If it was mine, I would put two 1/4" SS bolts/nuts and butyl tape on each tab and be done with it. Way quicker, secure and cheaper than glassing it over.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:59 PM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Sorry forgot about this post.
You need to understand how to use fiberglass to effect repair.
You tube can help you there.
What I would do is remove the hinge and grind a little material off from behind the hinge and in both directions. Course sandpaper and elbow grease works too,,,, Apply a piece of fiber cloth that is saturated with activated resin to the area and place the hinge in it's original location over the glass., use a spring clamp or other device to apply firm but not heavy pressure till set. I would probably rough up the hinge face and surrounding area with course sandpaper and apply a second layer of glass.
Hope this helps.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote