Filling rivet holes - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2021, 07:40 PM   #1

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
Filling rivet holes

Hi all. Iíve taken most of the rivets out of my Ď77 trillium in order to prep for a paint job. Iíve realized though that the screws arenít going to be big enough to hold the grates and windows when replaced. I am guessing that filling the holes is my best bet. Can anyone recommend a product. Or... would using rivets be a better option than screws? Iíve never worked with them but sure I could learn.
Nanph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:29 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
For the Trillium windows, screws were originally used, driven into the wood strips inside the window frame. I used stainless steel #8 3/4" pan head screws when re-installing.

For the fridge vents and roof vent, watertight rivets could be used.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:42 AM   #3

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If you want to fill and refinish would suggest that you grind out a scarf on both sides (or just the outside if the inside is not unfinished).
I would fill the scarf with fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin and then grind flush. the scarf will add strength to the area and the scarf taper will taper the stress over the surrounding area.
Or use stainless screws with bigger heads.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:48 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I tend to put pieces of plywood inside and use stainless screws. Did this when I went with a surface mount shore power hookup.
Attached Thumbnails
37B72F1F-0DA7-4DB1-BD7B-87D5AFD4836A.jpg  
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:19 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I tend to put pieces of plywood inside and use stainless screws. Did this when I went with a surface mount shore power hookup.
I did the same thing when I added 30 amp shore power inlet to my Trillium 4500. SS machine screws paired with nylock nuts for this fitting as well as the running lights, tail lights, plumbing fittings, etc.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:07 PM   #6

Name: Steven
Trailer: 79 Boler "Van Gogh"
on Ontario
Registry
I opted for a more secure fastening approach than the pop rivets into acorn nuts...
Attached Thumbnails
Boler - 73.jpg   Boler - 83.jpg  

steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:33 PM   #7

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Hi Thrifty Bill, I like your idea of using two pieces of plywood, however I live in the Great White North and here we call that chipboard, which is mainly glue and wood chips and your picture shows half the screw strength lost in thin air? I hope that it does not get wet!
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:14 PM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I mis-spoke (missed typed), its actually OSB. Its not chip board, but its not particle board either. OSB is made out of long wafers, not chips. I used to be in the industry. I used the screws I had in hand, that were a little long. Not a problem in my view. Area is behind a boxed in cupboard section. Temporarily removed the cupboard to do other work, allowing for an inside picture.

Lots of OSB used throughout the molded FG industry. Many floors are OSB. In traditional building around here, roof sheathing is typically OSB. I did use cabinet grade plywood for cabinet doors and plywood for window surrounds in my Trillium.
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 04:31 PM   #9

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
Thank you everyone. These were great ideas and have helped me make a plan. I’ve ordered a rivet gun to replace what I can that way but looking at your solution Steve I may cancel the gun. I’ve also ordered some Pc-11 to strengthen and fill anything that needs to be done that way. Thrifty Bill, great solution!
Thanks again all!
Nanph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:46 PM   #10

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
SS screws are stronger than rivets, can be tensioned and can be removed/reused.
OSB works for backing plates but may not be suitable in moist applications. I've used ends of vinyl plank left over from building windows with success.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:05 PM   #11

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton boler 1700 RGW
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanph View Post
Thank you everyone. These were great ideas and have helped me make a plan. Iíve ordered a rivet gun to replace what I can that way but looking at your solution Steve I may cancel the gun. Iíve also ordered some Pc-11 to strengthen and fill anything that needs to be done that way. Thrifty Bill, great solution!
Thanks again all!
Check out Spaenaur.com they sell Stanley closed end marine rivets. They are very tough, have replaced most of the rivets in our trailer with these as all of the original rivets leaked.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:07 PM   #12

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton boler 1700 RGW
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanph View Post
Thank you everyone. These were great ideas and have helped me make a plan. Iíve ordered a rivet gun to replace what I can that way but looking at your solution Steve I may cancel the gun. Iíve also ordered some Pc-11 to strengthen and fill anything that needs to be done that way. Thrifty Bill, great solution!
Thanks again all!
Check out Spaenaur.com they sell Stanley closed end marine rivets. They are very tough, have replaced most of the rivets in our trailer with these as all of the original rivets leaked. They sell box's of 100 we have use most sizes
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote