Filling Screw and other small holes in fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2016, 01:58 AM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Filling Screw and other small holes in fiberglass

What do you use to fill small screw holes in fiberglass?
Old 02-17-2016, 03:53 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I used an epoxy putty called PC 11 when I did a door hinge repair. You can load it into a syringe and inject it into a hole. A couple hours later before it completely hardens, trim the excess with a putty knife. It works best if you can block the back of the hole. In my case I was able to clamp some scrap sheet metal there. I was happy with the results and so far they've held up. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
1455702720797.jpg   1455702736022.jpg  

1455702751166.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:27 AM   #3

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi P. Raz,

I just read your reply and just out of interest and understanding...do you block the back of the hole just temporarily till epoxy sets up?

Let's say you don't have a hole that goes "all the way through to inside." I'm thinking about different awning application, getting rid of bag awning plastic supports near awning rail. I couldn't support the back of the hole in that case. Maybe insert a plastic anchor to help contain spread of product and keep finished work from sinking?

Just curious and thank you!

Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #4
Raz

Quote:

I just read your reply and just out of interest and understanding...do you block the back of the hole just temporarily till epoxy sets up?
That correct. My holes went all the way through so blocking the back avoided wasting large amounts of epoxy and helped in filling the hole. Holes that don't go through won't require backing. Raz
Old 02-17-2016, 08:04 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Here is another option, JB PlasticWeld, it is an epoxy putty that you kneed together with your fingers and press it into the hole. It is easy to work with, white in color and has worked very well for me.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Here's another option. This stuff is real good. They even use it on boats below the water line. Here's a link to Amazon's site for it. It's also available at most Marine or boating supply places
Robot Check
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:01 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I removed the stinky slinky tube off the front and the spare tire of the back on my Scamp...so I too had some holes to fix. I used Marine/Plastic Fiberglass Repair. It's a two part putty, cut off a chunk and kneed until the colors combine...roll into a sausage and stuffed it in. It's sandable and paintable. The color doesn't match perfectly tho. I'm not sure anything would. Perhaps a tiny bit of spot paint would help. I bought it at Lowe's for less than $5. I also used it on a wood fence when the gate catch screws had stripped out.
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #8
Raz

I had deep holes to fill so I went with the paste which allows for injection. For shallow holes any of the hand mix puttys should work fine and save the cost of the syringe.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Here is another option, JB PlasticWeld, it is an epoxy putty that you kneed together with your fingers and press it into the hole. It is easy to work with, white in color and has worked very well for me.

I have used the JB WaterWeld Epoxy Putty. Have found it works well! If filling a hole just make sure you wipe away any excess you may have spread around the outside surface around the hole before it sets up.

I have even used it to fill a couple of small holes on the trailers roof created when I removed an old TV antenna. Been 5 years on the wet coast and no leaks.

It states it dries in an off white but I have found its a pretty good match for an older white gelcoat finish.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:12 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
I have used Marine-Tex for years for those fixes on my boat. It is a strong epoxy based filled that comes in white, and has always been waterproof, and stands up very well in sun.

It is a little hard to find except at marine stores. I have also found it at Ace Hardware stores in most states.
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:04 AM   #11

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Ah yes rollable epoxy putty. Never thought of that and I've in fact used it before to repair vinyl siding. It is easy to use. I keep a little running list of notes on things I learn here, so just added all of this info. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:44 AM   #12

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Smile Hole Filler

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:33 AM   #13

Name: J
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
I used P. Raz's recommendation today, for the same application. I hasn't cured in a few hours yet, but I will see how it is tomorrow.
JBjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:09 AM   #14

Name: ken
Trailer: bigfoot
British Columbia
bondo works very well because the resin in the Bondo is the same as what your trailer is made of, I would suggest the type with the short strand fiber glass reinforcement . It's sandable and paintable
Ken
ken jon is offline   Reply With Quote