Finally a quiet AC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2021, 03:53 PM   #1

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
Finally a quiet AC

I replace the Dometic AC on our 2018 Bigfoot 25RQ with a Houghton AC3400, a 13,500 BTU model with heat pump. Easy install, and it is whisper quiet. We can listen to music, talk, watch a movie, etc when we have shore power while the AC or heat is on high. It really is that quiet.
Towed by 2018 Chevy High Country Duramax
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:38 AM   #2

Name: Roy
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Registry
Sounds like a nice alternative. We have a 2015 Bigfoot 25RQ as well, and the factory 11000 BTU a/c is adequate but it sounds like you are standing next to a Boeing 737 when it is running! Don't have any experience with a heat pump. Let me know how it works out for you.
Roy
Roy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:04 PM   #3

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
We had a heat pump with the ducted Dometic AC in our AirStream Flying Cloud. We used it a lot more than cooling with AC. The only problem was hot air rises and the source of heat was in the ceiling.
Old 10-30-2021, 03:07 PM   #4

Name: Elliott
Everywhere
Nice! I've been considering that myself, more for the heat pump and power efficiency improvements than anything. Did you run across any problems or challenges with the install? Clearance or fitment either on the outside or inside? Or was it just a matter of unscrewing the old and installing the new, plus a bit of wire splicing?
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:05 PM   #5

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
Easy install. I have a small front end loader that really helped getting the units off and on. Just waited until my wife was out. Took about an hour total. Well engineered. We’ll be camping with it in a few weeks, so will test hot and cold in “real life.” Pleased so far. Much much quieter.
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 12:34 PM   #6

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
Thankyou for your post. Will have to look into them. Hate the noise.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:31 PM   #7

Name: Jon
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Olive View Post
I replace the Dometic AC on our 2018 Bigfoot 25RQ with a Houghton AC3400, a 13,500 BTU model with heat pump. Easy install, and it is whisper quiet. We can listen to music, talk, watch a movie, etc when we have shore power while the AC or heat is on high. It really is that quiet.
How is it for current draw? Any chance it would be low enough current to run off batteries easier than the ole Dometics?
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:36 PM   #8

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRaw View Post
How is it for current draw? Any chance it would be low enough current to run off batteries easier than the ole Dometics?
From the website,
https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-condit...te-non-ducted/

When running on 120 Volts ac:
Running Watts for Cooling : 1550W
Running Watts for Heating : 1100W
Rated current for cooling: 14A
Rated current for heating: 10A
Maximum power input: 1700W
Maximum current: 15.5A

So, for a 12Volt-DC-to-120Volt-AC inverter running at 80% efficiency, I would expect a draw of about 150 Amps from your battery.

So, what, maybe 30 minutes run-time from a 100 Amp-hour battery?

Also, US$1,500 plus shipping is <almost> what I paid for my 1977 13' ten years ago. :-)
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:16 AM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
There are some Oliver owners replacing the Dometic with a Houghton unit and are very happy. When my Dometic AC bites the dust that’s what I will do. Maybe sooner, we can’t stand the noise machine we currently have.
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:21 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Country Coach
Missouri
A question I’m asking Oliver

I asked Josh about this the other day and all he said is that Oliver is “evaluating “ other units. This may be the deal breaker that forces me to a Big Foot as I can order without Ac and put in what I want.
Steve Roark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:54 AM   #11

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Roark View Post
I asked Josh about this the other day and all he said is that Oliver is “evaluating “ other units. This may be the deal breaker that forces me to a Big Foot as I can order without Ac and put in what I want.
Just make sure that they prep it for AC!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 02:13 AM   #12

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
AC units have many components that can contact one another, producing vibration and noise. For example, belts, hoses, and AC housing can vibrate and create sound. It would be best to cover the hoses and pipes to prevent them from rubbing against one another. You can also insert foam or rubber cushions between the RV AC unit and the RV rooftop. Adding foam around hoses and pipes also helps when making RV Air conditioners quieter.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 03:16 AM   #13

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
Regular AC unit maintenance can help you reduce noise and achieve a quiet air conditioner. You can also reduce the noise from your motorhome air conditioner by tightening bolts, adding insulation, and installing a silencer.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 03:08 PM   #14

Name: Charles
Georgia
This is a fairly popular conversion on the Escape models. This is a long thread on the conversion of two trailers.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...all-21313.html

I think the heat pump is only available on the largest model, 15K BTU. The problem is that small trailers don't need 15K BTU (unless operated in the south west in the summer) and running a large unit will cause it to short cycle and not remove humidity properly, nor cool properly. Unless your A/C was clearly undersized to start with, you don't want to oversize it unless you have good reason to and realize the issues that can crop up with short cycling.

Charles
Old 11-26-2022, 06:17 AM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
I camped next to a fellow who had installed a small "mini split" unit on his non-fiberglass trailer. The outside unit mounted on the tongue and the much smaller inside unit was mounted in a cabinet. Super quiet, super efficient and provides both heat and air.

Dave
theremin is offline   Reply With Quote