Finally Starting The Rebuild !! - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #81

Trailer: 72 Boler American
I was thinking about "tabbing", but my interior walls are finished with rhino-liner. I was going to glass in some blocks before it was sprayed..........oh well.
The present plan is that all penetrations will be stainless nuts and bolts, neoprene washers in and out. I've done some through bolting so far with good, leak-proof results.

Today, I'm installing the side marker lights........I'm very pleased with the look.
Attached Thumbnails
photolig.jpg  
Brian Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #82

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
They are pretty nice and "retro" style
Old 06-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #83

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1300
Quote:
More pics!!! I'm so excited.......It's finally (after two years) out of my garage! The new wheels went on today and it won't be fitting through
the door anymore. I sure do hope there are no leaks. I'll find out next time it rains.

Wow,
That is an envious Boler my friend.
Good work.
Aaron Dufour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #84

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
I was thinking about "tabbing", but my interior walls are finished with rhino-liner. I was going to glass in some blocks before it was sprayed..........oh well.
The present plan is that all penetrations will be stainless nuts and bolts, [b]neoprene washers in and out. I've done some through bolting so far with good, leak-proof results.

Today, I'm installing the side marker lights........I'm very pleased with the look.
I did that by drilling out the holes and using 1/2-20 stainless hardware. For washers, I had a length of rubber compressed air line hose that is oil proof. I rammed a 1/4 inch wooden dowel in a ways, then cut off slices with a fine toothed blade on my band saw.

Then I used stainless steel washers over the rubber on each side that were specially prepared by making them slightly cone shaped. I did this by counter-sinking a small hole in a piece of hardwood, placing the flat washer over the counter-sink, then applying the rounded end of an old 1/2 inch socket extension and smashing the other end with a small sledge hammer.

This makes the flat washer into a reasonable facsimile of a Bellville washer which compresses the rubber inward when the hardware is tightened and also protects the rubber from harmful sunlight.

Just one of my tricks!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #85

Name: gary
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scott View Post
I was thinking about "tabbing", but my interior walls are finished with rhino-liner ...

Man, I love this rebuild. Congrats on some fine work. Have you done the interior yet?

I would really like one of these, but my car has a 1400# tow limit. Is there any chance you weighed yours when the exterior was done but absolutely nothing inside? I'd like to know what the absolute minimum weight is.
gjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:09 AM   #86

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Brian, what kind of material is StarBoard and where did you purchase (sounds nautical)
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #87

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I'm not Brian, but...

Starboard is known as "marine lumber" (by the people who make it - I'm not saying it should be marine lumber!). It's a type of plastic, essentially. It's very machinable, color-fast, doesn't rot, etc.

On the other hand, it does not take caulk or adhesives well, it can't really be painted, it's a bit heavy, it's not structurally strong in the same sense as wood (say, a shelf - it would sag), and it tends to get dirty and be hard to clean. It's also subject to some creep under load.

It does have its good uses though; I only mention the detriments because I sometimes see it used in applications that kind of emphasize its bad points instead of its good ones.

This article tells more about it:

http://www.askboat.com/askboat_article/d1/237.html

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #88

Name: Rebecca
Trailer: Boler
Maine
The build continues on...

Well... The build continues...
Thank you Brian for sharing this link. My husband and I bought this little gem from Mike in NH. When he posted this for sale, I was on the lookout for one that was near where I lived, Portland, Me. We went to look at it and I noticed he had a scamp in his driveway. I had mentioned that I had been en route to see one in Maine, when the owners called me and told me it was sold. " this wasn't from Bath, Maine by any chance, was it?" I said. He looked at the ground and said that it was... Ha ha ha...we had quite a laugh over that !!!
So the journey continues on for this little one.
I have named her Sofie.
Thank you Brian, for all your good work on Sofie. She will definitely be loved.
This picture is just a little glimpse of the next phases...
Becky D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #89

Maine
The glimpse

Hope you all enjoy...
Old 07-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #90

Maine
Trying to attach photo...

LoL...
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-02-2015, 09:37 PM   #91

Name: Adam
Trailer: In the market
British Columbia
I'd love to know how she fairs with the rhino liner. Any condensation or concerns with it? Love the look of it!
adcarvings is offline   Reply With Quote