Finally Starting The Rebuild !! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2008, 04:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 72 Boler American
Almost two years ago, I saw this beauty in a yard near my house. Knocked on the door,
asked about it, and was told..."It's yours".

It had been sitting there for about fifteen years and being used as a storage shed.
They didn't want it and I did....worked out perfectly.

I immediately stripped most of the interior. Wet, moldy, wall covering falling down. Took
it all out. There were no rear benches and the table was long gone. Front bunk.....
same...gone. The "kitchen" unit was still there and so was the closet. That's about all I saved.

Anyway, after two more years of sitting in my back yard, I finally pulled it out last week.
I put some 8 inch wheels so it'd fit in my garage. Drilled out all the rivets, pulled out the rotted rear
floor, went to the fiberglass supply place, and here I go.

I'll keep this thread up to date with picture as I go.

Wish me luck.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Cannon_13581__Small_.jpg   Cannon_13582__Small_.jpg  

Cannon_13583__Small_.jpg  
Brian Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:49 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
WOW! And I when I got mine I called it a 'rolling shell' !! I am very glad to hear you are getting to your reno now after two years. It makes me feel much better about having taken about 18 months to get into mine!!

I'll be very interested to see how it goes.

Good luck!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:51 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Wish me luck.
A complete rebuild. Ah, I remember it well... It took me almost a year to get my Compact Jr. ready for camping after I embarked on the adventure.

Good Luck!
Old 03-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I kinda like the brick pattern on the floor.. go with it...
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 75 Boler
Looks like you have your work cut out for you. Good Luck and God Speed to you!

Mike
Mike Montville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 1980 Scamp 13 ft
Hey Brian, it looks like I am Just one step ahead of you in our rebuild. Maybe we could share ideas and photos of our progress. here are some pictures of what I've done so far.
Attached Thumbnails
linebore_002.jpg   floor_below_fridge.jpg  

floor_gutting_010.jpg   floor_gutting_001.jpg  

Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:17 AM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Take heart, Brian. I don't see a long project; I see a rare opportunity to make the trailer just the way you want it; to have a trailer that doesn't always need one more thing, and to know exactly that everything is done correctly. With gas prices skyrocketing, the demand for this type of trailer is increasing, as you can see by the prices that tastefully renovated Bolers are bringing. Take your time and enjoy the fun. The only problem I see is stopping after just one trailer....
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:01 AM   #8

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Looks like a ton-o-fun there Brian (well - half a ton anyway)!

I'll admit though - the "repair" end of thing always interested me a whole lot less than the "reconstruction" end. I think it's a matter of spending a whole lot of time on something that - if done right - you'll never end up really seeing.

Oh well - What are your plans for the interior? Are you going to pretty much recreate the original floorplan or do you have something different in mind?
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #9

I'm pretty much going to follow the original floorplan, though I hope to build new cabinets myself. Most of the original pieces are long gone, and the parts that I have are very rough.
As of now, I'm planning on finishing the interior with a spray on bedliner such as Rhino Liner or Line-x.
The side windows are going to be rounded corner sliders which I've ordered from Scamp. Another thing I really want to do is set the rear light "cups" flush with the body. I just dont like them riveted on top of the body. My goal over the next few months is to get the fiberglass work completed, finish the interior walls, paint the exterior and get the windows back in. If there is still some surplus cash on hand, I'll begin the cabinetry.

Thanks for all the well wishes. As I said, I'll keep everyone up to date with pictures as the project progresses.

Brian

Old 03-21-2008, 02:47 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984
Oh! I'm going to like this topic.
We can learn so much from you guys and your total rebuild. Keep the pictures comming.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
I'm pretty much going to follow the original floorplan, though I hope to build new cabinets myself. Most of the original pieces are long gone, and the parts that I have are very rough.
As of now, I'm planning on finishing the interior with a spray on bedliner such as Rhino Liner or Line-x.
The side windows are going to be rounded corner sliders which I've ordered from Scamp. Another thing I really want to do is set the rear light "cups" flush with the body. I just dont like them riveted on top of the body. My goal over the next few months is to get the fiberglass work completed, finish the interior walls, paint the exterior and get the windows back in. If there is still some surplus cash on hand, I'll begin the cabinetry.

Thanks for all the well wishes. As I said, I'll keep everyone up to date with pictures as the project progresses.

Brian
Hi: Brian... Just wondering if you could drill off the light cups and move them to the inside and re rivet and fill around them with body filla or glass them in so they look stock but customized at the same time. Regards Alf
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #12

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
Hi: Brian... Just wondering if you could drill off the light cups and move them to the inside and re rivet and fill around them with body filla or glass them in so they look stock but customized at the same time. Regards Alf
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

"French" them, you mean?
http://www.truckinweb.com/features/0705tr_...o/photo_01.html
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:13 PM   #13

The new floor is in !! Next up, the piece that was under the kitchen.....then I should be all "solid" again.

Attached Thumbnails
Cannon__Small_.jpg  
Old 03-26-2008, 04:57 PM   #14

Hey Brian, What is that indentation along the kitchen side fender?
mine doesn't have that.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Hey Brian, What is that indentation along the kitchen side fender?
mine doesn't have that.

I'm not sure. I acquired this trailer full of junk and most of the innards missing.
I've seen pictures of Bolers with what looks to be a heater in that location. Though
I've never seen one in person and don't know if it's slim enough to fit in that spot in the
kitchen cabinet.

Maybe someone else knows for sure?

Old 03-26-2008, 05:57 PM   #16

By the way. For anyone who's replaced a floor. How thick did you go/how many layers
of fiberglass on top of the floor were it joins it to the walls?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:24 PM   #17

Hey Brian, did you take out the fiberglassed plywood "lip" around the perimiter of the shell?
I know you said that you were going to fab most of the cabnetry yourself so, are you going to make the rear section a full time bed or just make a whole new booth?
I am undecided. The thought of customizing the trailer to fit my needs really is weighing on my mind because I would like to take the closet out as well and make a 60"x74" bed. Then I would just make a countertop only big enough for the fridge and a sink. Along the front, I would make a small dinette like some I've seen. Decisions, Decisions!!! I may at one time in the future want to sell it so I may just put it back to normal.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:13 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I would like to take the closet out as well and make a 60"x74" bed.
I think a big bed sounds comfy, but be aware that the closet may be part of what is keeping the roof up! Scamp sells completely empty trailers (no bed, no cabinets, etc.) but it does come with a closet across from the door and extra bracing around the door... without it the roof starts to come down. It would be sad indeed if all your hard work created at low ceiling trailer!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Hey Brian, did you take out the fiberglassed plywood "lip" around the perimiter of the shell?
I know you said that you were going to fab most of the cabnetry yourself so, are you going to make the rear section a full time bed or just make a whole new booth?
I am undecided. The thought of customizing the trailer to fit my needs really is weighing on my mind because I would like to take the closet out as well and make a 60"x74" bed. Then I would just make a countertop only big enough for the fridge and a sink. Along the front, I would make a small dinette like some I've seen. Decisions, Decisions!!! I may at one time in the future want to sell it so I may just put it back to normal.

The "lip" was ground flat. I have glassed in the topside of the floor with 3 layers of mat.
When I pull the body off the frame, I'll put some on the underside and coat the bottom with resin..

I'm probably going to try to recreate the original layout(or something like it) I have 2 kids, 6 & 3 who are looking foward to some camping.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #20

Wow....Fiberglassin' sure is fun! Most of the holes that I wanted to fill are filled.
The roof vent has been closed, the floors are all solid, and now I'm starting to fill
the corners of the window openings to accept curved windows. The light "cups" have been recessed.
A little more finish work on them and I'll be satisfied.

In order for me to get to the underside of this thing, I want to remove the body from the frame
and lay the body on its side. Anybody done this? I'm thinking maybe some supports from side to side(which will be up and down when turned 90 degrees). Any idea on how much an empty egg shell weighs?

Some pics of the progress.......
Attached Thumbnails
Cannon_13646__Small_.jpg   Cannon_13659__Small_.jpg  

Cannon_13671__Small_.jpg   Cannon_13672__Small_.jpg