Floating floors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Michigan
Floating floors

Has anyone replaced their carpet with pergo style floating floors? My wife absolutely hates carpet so I'm trying to come up with a suitable flooring option. I've done that style of floor before, the its pretty easy but I wonder what you do with verticle section by the table? Just nail or glue it in place?
UP Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Do you not have an outside corner metal trim there already? One leg on the upper floor and the other down the side? That is what my boler American came with.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #3

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
My sister did her camper (not an egg ) with the Allure Laminate. It sticks together and floats as well, but is completely water proof. She loves it and it hasn't swollen or popped or buckled.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:36 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Do you not have an outside corner metal trim there already? One leg on the upper floor and the other down the side? That is what my boler American came with.
Not on a Scamp with carpet. It just wraps from the dance floor down the riser without a seam.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Not so sure about the Pergo brand, but why not glue it down? Then, when you come the the edge, there won't be any movement and you can finish the edge it with an angle piece.

Pergo, if you get the style with the wood veneer, won't be as durable as some other choices.
Might be good to get a non-wood surface.

In homes they use the 1/8" foam underlayment and I don't see why you would want that in the trailer unless you wanted some insulation. Are you concerned about giving up any headroom with the combined thickness of the flooring and the underlayment?
Old 06-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #6

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
We have "solid" bamboo flooring in our Egg. The floor it self is floating, but glued together. Or at least that is what I think I did several years ago. Just leave a small gap for expansion (usually called out in the flooring instructions) and it has survived -20F to >100F without apparent damage. Also left the windows cracked open during rain so we got to test out how well it handles water.

But then it is one flat plane with only some mild curves where the galley narrows under the bed. I actually recycled the carpet to cover the exposed fiberglass under the dinette and left a piece to use as the door mat. The dinette is a little too curvy for the industrial carpet and it looks a little rough. But it keeps the scuffs off the white until I figure out something better.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Not on a Scamp with carpet. It just wraps from the dance floor down the riser without a seam.
I found a picture of mine I posted earlier with the metal.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post160849

I did mine with vinyl floor strips. I put the sides or "walls" up first so the thickness of the flooring held the bottom in place.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:40 PM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
I like the idea of a floating floor, something I plan on doing, only because if the floor does get wet then it'll be easy to get under there to let everything dry. I was originally going to use those foam interlocking kids mats with a piece of plywood over top then something to finish it. I like the idea of getting out of bed and stepping on carpet but it doesn't seem to matter where I take off my shoes, the carpet will always get muddy and dirty. I also want to add a little insulation to the floor but I have read on here that if the foam compresses then you are defeating the purpose. S I think I am going to try the rigid blue foam with the plywood backing. I know I will be sacrificing height and as tall as I am, I could use all the height I can get, but the comfort factor out weighs everything else. Short seasons in Manitoba as it is. I want to be able to camp from May to November.
As for the vertical piece, I plan on doing what Roy said and install that first to help hold it in place. Once the edging is on it wont go anywhere. Plus, it'll still be easy enough to get under there if I need to.
bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:50 AM   #9

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
I have 1000 sq ft of vinyl flooring in my home. It's by Karndean and it is something I would use in a TT or RV. It is loose lay and easily installed. In addition, you can lift it and place it back again in the event of moisture or flooding. Love this stuff!

Karndean LooseLay Vinyl Flooring Collection
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:40 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We purchased the linoleum flooring in our Scamp. Never figured out in a small one why anyone wants the elaborate "Flooring" system. The linoleum is naturally lighter, one piece....but that's my preference and opinion.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:07 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Michigan
My wife may have moved onto linolium. I do appreciate it's light and relatively cheap yet durable but Ive never installed it so I'm always hesitant.
UP Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Good call. Lots of options there, too, some floating.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I want to replace our carpeting in our Bigfoot Silver Cloud with a wood laminate too. The original carpet is stained and gross. We camp with 3 kitties. They add to the carpet issues. It would be much easier to wipe up hairballs with a laminate.

CindyL
Old 06-16-2017, 10:53 PM   #14

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
my boler has the vinyl strip cork flooring that over laps the edges, its glued on the riser piece and the edges are finished in aluminum trim pieces
Jan
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:19 PM   #15

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
I instaled 'click-plank' cork flooring in my Burro...tore out the carpet, laid 1/2" plywood strips down with double-stick tape (to allow for irregularities), laid 1/8" underlay foam in between the strips, then added a full layer of the 1/8" foam, then the flooring. Used 1 1/2" x 1/4" PVC lath (Home Depot) as base to hold it down...used heat gun to bend it at corners, through-screwed with stainless steel bolts/ss cup washers/locknuts. Looks pretty good, adds warmth to the floor too. FLoor area was so small I was able to buy remnant boxes of the flooring to save $$.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:16 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
I instaled 'click-plank' cork flooring in my Burro... FLoor area was so small I was able to buy remnant boxes of the flooring to save $$.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:57 PM   #17

Name: Ginny
Trailer: '09 Scamp 13' w/ Bath
Oklahoma
I'll chime in with a resounding approval for the Allure vinyl flooring from Home Depot. Easy to install, easy to clean. I LOVE it.

Here is a photo of the completed floor:
Floor

And here is a link to our photo album with all of our modifications (including additional install and completed floor pictures)
Google Album
fieldphoto is offline   Reply With Quote