Flooded Lead Acid vs Valve Regulated Lead Acid (AGM & Gel) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #1

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Flooded Lead Acid vs Valve Regulated Lead Acid (AGM & Gel)

Many of you have recently mentioned going to AGM batteries. I have considered it myself.

Considering the additional cost, as you prepare to make your decision you may want to reference the following:

Comparing Flooded Batteries to VRLA Batteries
Old 08-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Clif, did you draw any conclusions either pro or con for switching? Are the benefits cost effective? Thx for posting this. I'm bookmarking it.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #3

Louisiana
Registry
Based on the information provided, and considering my relatively light demand, my current plan is to stay with flooded deep cycle, though when the time comes, I will look hard a switching to a 31 deep cycle rather than the marine deep cycle 24 I am currently using. That should give me plenty of capacity for my needs.

There are some flooded deep cycle batteries out there that claim near AGM performance relative to repeated cycling.

I am currently charging via 85 watts of amorphous solar through a Morningstar SS-10-12v PWM charger.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
From the article: "In summary, deep-cycle flooded lead-acid batteries are very versatile and should be the first choice for renewable energy systems where maintenance can be carried out and ventilation is available."

Now, considering that the article was not based on RV applications but on "renewable energy systems", i.e a solar power system etc. As such it might still be a case of comparing apples and hand grenades.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #5

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
From the article: "In summary, deep-cycle flooded lead-acid batteries are very versatile and should be the first choice for renewable energy systems where maintenance can be carried out and ventilation is available."

Now, considering that the article was not based on RV applications but on "renewable energy systems", i.e a solar power system etc. As such it might still be a case of comparing apples and hand grenades.
I think the solar charging/storage system on my trailer is in fact a renewable energy system.

Regardless, I posted the site as an informational source. You may go one way or another, depending on your needs and your ability and desire to do some periodic maintenance.

AGMs were developed, per the article, for particular purposes, though they are not limited to those purposes. If you feel AGMs fit your bill, then that's what you get.

My concern is that many folks may be getting the idea that AGM or gel batteries are defacto the best choice in every instance, which is not the case.

I have witnessed in posts, as have you, a wide range of understanding of DC electrical and solar systems. I in no wise am an expert on the subject, but an am avid student. I have built and am experimenting with a working system, which has been through 3 seasons. Starting from ground level, I have educated myself on the subjects and wish to provide assistance to those on the path.

Obviously, if you are moving the battery inside the trailer where there is no way to ventilate it, AGM would be the way to go. If, the location of the battery, or inability to lift the battery make maintenance difficult, once again AGM is the winner.

I make no argument as to the superiority of AGM, gel or flooded technologies, but point out that there is more to consider than, 'will it fit?' and can I afford it.

I'm not the one to decide where anyone should spend their nickle.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I saw a few points that stuck out for me. Flooded works better in hot climates, down here where I am that covers a lot of the year. Also flooded is better for partially discharged conditions, I think that will cover a lot of what I do when charging with solar off-grid. A real advantage to AGM is better vibration resistance, like bouncing down the road in a trailer that does not have shock absorbers. Of course a couple of real deciding factors are location and maintenance. If is inside or you can not or will not take constant care of them you need AGMs. Personally, I am cheap and my batteries will be out on the tongue so it is flooded for me.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #7

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
A real advantage to AGM is better vibration resistance, like bouncing down the road in a trailer that does not have shock absorbers.

It's worth it to check with the manufacturer. Some flooded lead acid deep cycle batteries have the bottom of the plates bedded in epoxy for greater vibration resistance.