Floor plans and tongue weights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2015, 09:50 AM   #1

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
Floor plans and tongue weights

So, I am thinking of changing the floorplan of my Boler 1300 for future fulltiming and boondocking. Since it will be only my bulldog, cat and I my plans will be customized. I have a year to accomplish my goals and spread out expenses. I am thinking of the following;
-converting the dinette to a permanent bed, standard twin or as close as possible, elevating the mattress placement to allow for more storage.
-moving the kitchen to the front by the tongue, and under the front window.
-adding a wetroom bath in the corner farthest away from the door.
-putting a small dinette/sitting area where the kitchen was originally, leaving the overhead cabinets in place if possible.
- placing a wave catalytic heater below the closet door.
-adding a fresh water tank under the bed.
-a couple of fans for 12v or 110
-a couple more 110/USB outlets inside for electronics, TV, stereo. A circuit box to power this, probably in the back of the closet for easy access. LED lights all around and tinted windows.
-outside showerhead for dirty dog feet.
- a couple of outside outlets
-a shade awning/screen room for over the door.
- the closet will remain untouched.
- the trailer needs s paint job, the frame might need work/reinforced.
-some kind of stabilizer jacks.

With these mods and solar powered batteries in my tow vehicle, plus two propane tanks, I will be set. I will not have a black water tank, but may put one in for grey water or better yet, use a portable one. The toilet will be waterless and composting. The fridge will be two or three way, still undecided on that. I may use a solar shower and heat water on the stove for cloudy days.

For storage areas I currently have the areas under the front gaucho and dinette, cabinets in the kitchen both below and above the counter. The PO added a closed cabinet across the back and three open shelves. One above the gaucho spanning the front, and one on each side of the dinette spanning from the back of the trailer to the closet and upper kitchen cabinets.

My desire for a front kitchen is three fold, shorten the distance to the propane tanks use that beautiful big window for natural light, and place the fridge where it can be shaded by the awning . Otherwise, I also want the bathroom for comfort and convenience. It makes sense to put them adjacent in case I plumb the shower in the future.

I know it's a lot of work. I can do most of it myself, otherwise I have a friend with the expertise that I don't. Afterall, this will be my home for 24/7/365 and that will be worth it.

Ok, fire away!!

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I sounds like a great plan, except it also sounds like you are trying to fit a 15-17' trailer into a 13' shell. Have you done a scale drawing of what you want to do. Getting a bathroom, a kitchen and 1/2 of a dinette into the left front corner is going to be a real squeeze. And, no matter how hard you try, you are going to be adding a lot of weight onto a frame and suspensions system that wasn't designed for that in the first place, and that's not something you can just "Beef Up" for.

And what's "and solar powered batteries in my tow vehicle" mean?

Almost forgot... what about a water heater, that's another 75+lbs.

I can visualize what you want, but I, for one, would consider a slightly larger shell for starters, at least a 15'. You might want to look at the 15' Surfside the list member Gail just sold on eBay, it has almost all the features you want, including a front kitchen and a bed dinette that can be both at the same time, out of the box.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:39 AM   #3

Here's a link to the Surfside ad on eBay
1975 Triple E Surfside Fiberglass Travel Trailer 15' Completely Refurbished | eBay

Old 08-14-2015, 04:20 PM   #4

Florida
Thanks for your concern and input. If I wanted a larger trailer I would buy one, dontcha think? Yes, I have a scale drawing. Only the bathroom will be in the front left corner. I will add some weight, but not beyond the frame strength, and the 1300 was designed to carry fresh water. The water heater, if I have one beyond heating with the sun, will be propane and on demand, so no extra weight there.
Solar powered batteries in my tow vehicle refers to a solar panel mounted on my truck which will charge batteries carried in my truck.
Now, that I have answered your questions, do you have any useful or helpful information regarding removing the molded gaucho base from the front of the trailer, or the lower cabinets?

Old 08-14-2015, 07:23 PM   #5

While I have rebuilt 3 13' FGRV's and several Molded fiberglass mini-motorhomes (Toyota Sunraders) I have not had the opportunity to work on a Boler. But, if your benches as bonded to the existing shell and/or floor, your best friend will be a multi-tool like this example (less expensive ones are available from other sources):
Sears.com

And, if you are interested, here are some of my remodels you might look at for ideas:
The Best 13 Ft RV On The Planet by Robert Miller | Photobucket

Feel free to browse the other albums.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:50 AM   #6

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
How about sell me yours and buy one done like u want?
Indiana Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:59 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Hi Lisa

Most anything is possible as long as you always consider the structure needed to support the body, most fiberglass trailers use the interior cabinets to structurally support the walls and roof. The second consideration is overall weigh and weight balance.

My Boler has one of the most unique floor plans, you can review the build and the finished trailer in the following links. I hope this inspires you:

http://www.proud-canadian.com/13-bol...eyond-1/boler/

"Buttercup" 1974 Boler - The Complete Guide to 13′ Boler Fiberglass Trailers

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-51170.html
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:20 AM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Sounds like you have a firm game plan in mind and are all set to execute. But I'm not sure what you mean by 'fire away', is there something you need help on? There are a lot of members here ready to assist.
We'll look forward to watching your progress, so be sure to post photos!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:22 AM   #9

Florida
Hi Lyn and kid, I don't think there is one like what I want, but I'll keep you in mind as I design. And besides, these eggs are hard to find!

Old 08-15-2015, 07:40 AM   #10
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Lisa, I take my hat off to you for wanting to take on such a huge project and I know what it is all about. Been there and done it with our popup, and 23' and a number of mega hour car projects.

But... Here is something to consider.

If you have nothing better to do with your time go for it. We know the rewards of doing something like this is huge. On the other hand trading for a trailer that has what you want and need is another option. This would allow you to be out on the road more enjoying life RV'ing.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight