Flooring Types, Cabinetry, & Water Intrusion - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 10:18 AM   #1

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Question Flooring Types, Cabinetry, & Water Intrusion

Now that I've discontinued my business (and have become a schoolteacher), I no longer need my Hauley to move product so I am thinking about building out the interior as a full time camper.

My first thought is that, um, "water happens"... eventually a window or a doorway or a water line leaks, and the floor gets wet, and it might not be noticed right away. The Hauley is FG on the underside, like a tub, and any water that gets in will sit there until it evaporates.

The thought of building wood cabinets and having them someday get ruined by water soaked up from the bottom edges is unappealing. I am wondering if there is something practical I can put down on the FG surface that will totally withstand getting wet? And if so, I think I would have it on the entire floor area before building cabinets and stuff overtop of it. Does anyone know of such a material?

I suppose the alternative might be to somehow waterproof the lower parts of the cabinets with some sort of coating. Perhaps someone has a suggestion regarding a good waterproofing method for wood? As small as these cabinets will be, I'm sure I could afford some hardwood if that were part of the solution.

TIA!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:47 PM   #2

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
I suppose it would be possible to make the lower cabinet base from plastic composite deck boards and set the wood cabinets on them. I think I could do that. It would add a little more weight.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:01 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I build my cabinet framing with aluminum angle. The doors can be wood but as the lower edges of the doors do not touch the floor there are no rot issues. The aluminum is lighter as well as stronger and it flexes rather than pulling itself apart at the joints. It is also very easy to build with versus trying to find pieces of good straight lumber which nowadays can be a major challenge.

Another alternative is to use aluminum angle for just at the lower edge against the floor then attach the wood face frame to it using screws from the backside leaving the lower edge of the wood face frame a half inch or more up off the floor.

A lot of people are stuck in the rut of thinking cabinet framing has to be done exactly like it is in a house. A lot of the trailers for use on the traveling race car circuit have aluminum cabinets rather than wood. Aircraft often has aluminum framed cabinets.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:18 PM   #4

Some good suggestions, thanks. Today I also thought of using Azdel for cabinets, but it appears to be unavailable to the average consumer.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:40 PM   #5

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Mike,

Why not use marine grade plywood for the cabinet bases. It is readily available and works the same as any ply. Although it is expensive you won't need that much.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:02 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Mike, I like your idea of building out your TT, but I'm going to back you up some. Yes, there are a number of folks that have had leak/floor issues but the vast majority haven't had the problem. You are in an exlnt position as you would be the one to be installing any windows/openings and such. Your TT isn't 30+ years old that you have no idea if it's leaked before. You're the one that would be cutting the shell, seal it well and you should be good to go. Guess what I'm saying is it seems you may be over thinking interior items for rotting, keep the shell tight and enjoy it .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:28 PM   #7

I doubt that I would attempt cutting window holes. I am not good at that sort of thing. It's a task I would hire done. Maybe I could insert the windows, but if some shop is cutting the window holes they probably would not charge much more to put them in.

Building cabinets and stuff is new to me also, but I'm willing to attempt it because I can't goof up the trailer shell in the process! I have nice 2x6 (or 2x8? I forget) mounting points along each sidewall, installed by the factory.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:28 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I doubt that I would attempt cutting window holes. I am not good at that sort of thing. It's a task I would hire done. Maybe I could insert the windows, but if some shop is cutting the window holes they probably would not charge much more to put them in.

Building cabinets and stuff is new to me also, but I'm willing to attempt it because I can't goof up the trailer shell in the process! I have nice 2x6 (or 2x8? I forget) mounting points along each sidewall, installed by the factory.
Not sure on your area Mike but Loews here in Canada now stocks white 4x8 X 1/2 sheets of pvc panels with wood grain on one side and flat on the other , not cheap at $120 00 a sheet but if planned well you could build the frame and use something different for the doors. This would be lightweight and impermeable to any water. If I was doing what your doing I would try this at least for the base but would only work if you wanted a white or painted look cabinet.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote