foam for boler cushions $ - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2011, 11:09 PM   #1

Name: Blake
Trailer: '79 Boler 13
British Columbia
foam for boler cushions $

We got our boler last fall and have finally been out in it. The old cushions seem to get soft and dent in and we wake up a bit sore. They arent too comfortable. We have nice new covers over the old orange originals. Can I take in the original cushions and have the foam replaced. Will that be think enough? How much might it cost?

Has anyone just decided that they will always leave it set up as a bed and had one big think cushion cut and just have that covered?

bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
I purchased new high density foam about 6 years ago here in Calgary and it did not come cheap. If I remember correctly in came in at around $500. You should shop around as prices may have dropped since then. On the other hand it does make it so much more comfortable to sleep on.
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:28 AM   #3

Name: Maggie
Trailer: 1978 Boler 13'
Ontario
I shopped around, and found that a double sized foam mattress, and a twin from Ikea were the best price at just under $300.
Yamaha_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Ventura
New Foam cushions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
We got our boler last fall and have finally been out in it. The old cushions seem to get soft and dent in and we wake up a bit sore. They arent too comfortable. We have nice new covers over the old orange originals. Can I take in the original cushions and have the foam replaced. Will that be think enough? How much might it cost?

Has anyone just decided that they will always leave it set up as a bed and had one big think cushion cut and just have that covered?

The Foam Guy in Nanaimo replaced our four dinette cushions (20" x 48") for $250 plus tax. He used Ultracel 35 which seems a little soft for seating still for my liking, but just right for sleeping when the bed's set up.

Since we use our trailer all-year in all-weather I can't really see being without the dinette for eating, computer work, etc. It hasn't been very inconvenient to shove a double sleeping bag under one of the seats and setup the dinette in the morning.
Darrell O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We resolved the sleeping /dinette situation by making a foldable in half dinette table. Much easier to handle, lighter and smaller. Once it's down we unfold it to make the bed's central platform. It also makes the trailer seem bigger and the dinette easier to sit at.

To make the cushions more comfortable we have a piece of memory foam/regular foam that is 1.5 inches thick. we have cut this in half across the short dimension. During the day time we fold each piece in half again and store it behind the back of the front couch/bunk. It becomes daytime invisible.

The memory/traditional foam blanket provides, for us, a great sleeping surface. It does take us 5 minutes to make up the bed at night and similarly to take it down in the morning. We bought the foam sandwich at Walmarts. It was designed for a double bed, about $70.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 1970 Boler
foam is crazy pricey. Don't do what I did and buy stuff too dense...had to re-buy new ones all over for softer stuff
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #7

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:

I leave mine setup as a bed because I just like eating and cooking out side, I've got several Trilliums and went with a full size 3 part foam mattress I got off E-bay..Then I took a electric fillet knife and cut it to a custom fit, they were really not too bad on price with free shipping..Here's the link on one just like the ones I bought....8" FULL SIZE 5.5 MEMORY FOAM MATTRESS BED SLEEP SYSTEM | eBay
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Like those above, we added a piece of foam. It's the cheapest regular foam available, but thick and very comfortable. Took it off our home bed when we changed that to memory foam. We have a side-dinette and prefer to do as much as possible outdoors (cooking, eating, clean-up) so leave the rear dinette in bed mode.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:53 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

The memory/traditional foam blanket provides, for us, a great sleeping surface. It does take us 5 minutes to make up the bed at night and similarly to take it down in the morning. We bought the foam sandwich at Walmarts. It was designed for a double bed, about $70.

Norm
Hi Norm,

Can you expand on what you mean by foam sandwich? I'm looking at Walmart and can't seem to find what you are talking about.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #10

Name: Blake
Trailer: '79 Boler 13
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdhanso View Post
Hi Norm,

Can you expand on what you mean by foam sandwich? I'm looking at Walmart and can't seem to find what you are talking about.

Thanks
thank you so much everyone! darnelle when u say you added foam did you cut it to fit in the existing cushion covers? im pretty sure i will go to the foam guy as per the very helpful suggestion. Kurt do you remember the names of the foam you found to dense and the one you ended up with? thanks all
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe and 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
13' Casita King size bed

We bought a used 2001 Casita Patriot Deluxe to pull with or SSR so could leave town and not have to come back the same day. Motels don't like dogs and we don't like motels.

We found that the stock seat cushions compressed to the point that they became uncomfortable after sitting or laying on them for a while.

So we picked up a pair of single memory foam toppers and had new cushions made using the stock foam and the memory foam.

As you can see the seat bottoms have both foams in them and the seat backs where made as separate cushions so you can still sit at the table. The extra cushions stack on the new cabinet .

Ah, the new cabinet. Here's the story, we have a 2004 17' Casita Liberty Deluxe. The one with the King size bed. We haven't used the stove in it. We only used the stove in our previous '99 Casita Freedom Deluxe a couple of times to heat water. Plus we wanted a King size bed in the 13'.

So it was a no brainer for us to remove the kitchen cabinet loosing the sink, stove, drawer and gas heater. We go to full hook up sites so the cube heater is all we need for heat.

I also wanted a larger drawer an extra 110v outlet and 12v outlet plus outside access to the cabinet for my hook up stuff (water hoses, filter, connectors and wheel chocks.

So I made a cabinet that doubles as the foot of the bed and a platform with folding legs that fills in the area between the refer and new cabinet. The bathroom is still accessible with the bed set up.

It take 5 min to set up.

The platform travels against the rear of the trailer captured by the table leg and the TravSaks stuff in under the table on top of the platform.

The drawer is wider and longer then the original and as luck would have it our stuff fits perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2212.jpg   IMG_2207.jpg  

IMG_2222.jpg   IMG_2229.jpg  

Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Quote:
thank you so much everyone! darnelle when u say you added foam did you cut it to fit in the existing cushion covers? im pretty sure i will go to the foam guy as per the very helpful suggestion. Kurt do you remember the names of the foam you found to dense and the one you ended up with? thanks all
Nope. Since we leave the rear dinette in bed mode, we just added a nice layer of foam on top of the original cushions. The only cutting was to add curves to the outside corners to fit the Scamp.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler