Folding table? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2016, 10:46 AM   #1

Name: Angela
Trailer: Boler
nova scotia
Folding table?

Hi all,
I've been thinking of building a folding table that will attach to the end of my counter, by the stove. I have a 13 foot Boler and not only would this extend my counter space I'm hoping I can "swivel" it around so I can sit on the bench and use it for my laptop. It would also make it possible to leave the dining area as a bed instead of having to return it to a table everyday.

Has anyone done anything like this? Any suggestions or pics on how to do it would be amazing!
Attached Thumbnails
possible table.jpg  
BarterBoler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
The swing table I had in my VW Bus would work well in that spot. Parts can still be found here:
GoWesty Camper Products - parts supplier for VW Vanagon, Eurovan, and Bus
but they're not cheap.

Some nice photos of the basic set up can be seen here:
Swing-out removable table - The Brick-yard

You might be able to fabricate something similar using 90 degree metal conduit set in pvc pipe with pipe straps and threaded knobs.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:18 PM   #3

Name: Angela
Trailer: Boler
nova scotia
Thanks! That's a big help!
BarterBoler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:02 PM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry

What about something like the swing-out folding tables that are used in airline seats that are in the bulkhead? Cathay Pacific brings premium economy to Auckland-Hong Kong flights - Australian Business Traveller

I'm also thinking that a swing out table like the one suggested on the Vanagon which is high enough to swing OVER the stovetop when not in use. It would pivot in the lower right corner of the tabletop 180 degrees over the side of the stovetop or 90 degrees to be next to the couch seat and would never need to be folded or "dropped down".

I could draw this out, crudely, and post it, maybe. Do you understand what I am saying?
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:55 PM   #5

Name: Kate
Trailer: Trillium
Washington
Small work surface next to stove

I have a small work surface next to the stove in my Firefly (ok ok it's a Trillium but I call it My Firefly).

It's a piano-hinge and a small arm that folds out underneath it to stabilize it. I can take a couple more pictures if you would like!
Attached Thumbnails
cutting board down.jpg   cutting board up.jpg  

Auchtober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:38 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auchtober View Post
I have a small work surface next to the stove in my Firefly (ok ok it's a Trillium but I call it My Firefly).

It's a piano-hinge and a small arm that folds out underneath it to stabilize it. I can take a couple more pictures if you would like!

Our Boler came with a similar table which I removed after a year or two. It was always in the way and a bit flimsy. Yours looks more substantial. We have since removed the bunks also and added a table.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1463308701.436407.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	95178

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Can you take a picture of the stabilizing arm? I'mean think of building one.

Thanks
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:39 PM   #8

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
The Little Joe's come with one folding table on either side of the galley, to extend cabinet surface area. They are similar to these Rockler units:

Folding Brackets-Choose your size - Rockler Woodworking Tools

but I'm sure you can find them elsewhere, with a little searching.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 76 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
I put a little extension into Kermit for the same reason -- to make more counter space -- using a piano hinge on nice piece of wood, and the prop for the shelf fits into a little woodchip on the underside of the shelf, the other end snugs neatly between the cushion & the wall. Pics when I figure out how
susan b. davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:13 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Easy kit at Little House Customs about 3/4 of the way down this page:

Store | Little House Customs

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:17 AM   #11

Name: Larry
Trailer: Burro
California
Small table supported by refrigerator door

I built a small, TV tray size, table that uses the refrigerator door top as a support and a small PVC extension to the bunk bed leg for the other support.
Put a small 1/2" X1/2 " strip on refrigerator side to keep it in the door groove and a PVC end cap screwed into,the othe end to accept the extended bunk support.
Easy to store in the closet and you can sit on the front bunk for coffee and breakfast. You could make it just about any size.
Burroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:07 AM   #12

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burroman View Post
I built a small, TV tray size, table that uses the refrigerator door top as a support and a small PVC extension to the bunk bed leg for the other support.
Put a small 1/2" X1/2 " strip on refrigerator side to keep it in the door groove and a PVC end cap screwed into,the othe end to accept the extended bunk support.
Easy to store in the closet and you can sit on the front bunk for coffee and breakfast. You could make it just about any size.
I'd love to see a photo of it!
michaelcly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:21 PM   #13

California
Photo of simple table

You could add a nylon strap that the refrigerator door would close on to secure it more tightly. My refrigerator has a strap to lock door shut.
My old Scamp had one like this- not my original idea.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #14

California
Photo of table

Can't seem to get photo to transfer
Old 09-20-2016, 01:04 PM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13
Florida
Quote:
Can't seem to get photo to transfer
I think I got the idea from your message. Thanks for that. I'm going to take a look tonight and do some chin scratching. I camp by myself and just need a place to eat without remaking the bed all the time. The whole sofa bunk thing is a waste for me. I'd love a small dinette there but think it cost a heap.
michaelcly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:31 PM   #16

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarterBoler View Post
Hi all,
I've been thinking of building a folding table that will attach to the end of my counter, by the stove. I have a 13 foot Boler and not only would this extend my counter space I'm hoping I can "swivel" it around so I can sit on the bench and use it for my laptop. It would also make it possible to leave the dining area as a bed instead of having to return it to a table everyday.

Has anyone done anything like this? Any suggestions or pics on how to do it would be amazing!
I see this post is a few years old, but wondering what you ended up doing, I want to do exactly the same.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:53 PM   #17

California
Table off refrigerator door.

I just built a bigger table- max size to fit inside closet- edgewise.
It hinges on an open hinge right above the refrigerator door, and gets support from resting on the top of the door.
Other end is supported by the bunk bed leg with a pvc extension.
One person sits on couch, near stove side, and other can sit opposite on a small folding chair, or both side by side on the couch.
Can still open the refrigerator.
Pretty slick.
M
Old 10-14-2019, 10:55 PM   #18

British Columbia
Quote:
I just built a bigger table- max size to fit inside closet- edgewise.
It hinges on an open hinge right above the refrigerator door, and gets support from resting on the top of the door.
Other end is supported by the bunk bed leg with a pvc extension.
One person sits on couch, near stove side, and other can sit opposite on a small folding chair, or both side by side on the couch.
Can still open the refrigerator.
Pretty slick.
M
Thanks Larry. I have converted my closet to shelving. So would need to figure another spot to store table top, was hoping I could do an extension of counter next to stove.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:57 AM   #19

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I would modify the cabinet you have so there is room to slide a table board out of the cabinet right over the top of the fridge. It might mean making the existing drawer shallower and putting slides on the sides of a new drawer to make room for your slide-out table for one. That slide out table can be resting on a single full extension, under mount cabinet slide. It won't need to be really heavy duty as not a lot of weight bearing for a plate of dinner.

To make it really clever so you can pull it towards you just use one slide lengthwise coming out of the cabinet and a second short slide at 90 degrees, resting on a wood plate fastened to the table top above and the slide below to slide it towards you. These things have been done before for small space living quarters.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:42 PM   #20

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
I would modify the cabinet you have so there is room to slide a table board out of the cabinet right over the top of the fridge. It might mean making the existing drawer shallower and putting slides on the sides of a new drawer to make room for your slide-out table for one. That slide out table can be resting on a single full extension, under mount cabinet slide. It won't need to be really heavy duty as not a lot of weight bearing for a plate of dinner.

To make it really clever so you can pull it towards you just use one slide lengthwise coming out of the cabinet and a second short slide at 90 degrees, resting on a wood plate fastened to the table top above and the slide below to slide it towards you. These things have been done before for small space living quarters.
Thank you kc I like this idea, but I don't have a drawer above my fridge, so will have to see if I can figure out how low the stove top goes or how high the fridge top is, I didn't want to take them out, but may have too.