Front and back windows in and almost done. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2010, 11:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Front and back windows in and almost done.

After playing around for an hour trying to figure out how to install the front and back windows, I just called a glass installer and they came by today and it's done. Way easier than getting frustrated. This is one of the few things that I have not done in the restore and if it ever needs redoing, I'll call these guys to do it again. Best $140 I've spent. It took them 1 1/2 hours.

I should be finished in one to two months. I still have the door to put on and the wife is going to sew the curtains and seat fabric. I need to also do the curtain rods. We ordered a mattress from Walmart that was reasonably priced ( a quarter of the Southern mattress cost with shipping.) Below is a shot of the front with windows in. I also threw in a couple of interior shots. The first one is the table I came up with. I didn't want a support in the way, so I designed a piece of plywood (3 pieces of 3/4") that is glassed to the front wall and curves under the table to support it. Then I had to figure how to get a person in the seat next to kitchen. I thought of doing the sliding table like the escape trailers, but came up with something easier. I cut the table in half and put a hinge in. I also put a little support coming out to help hold up the end. I have a little over a foot clearance to get in. The other shots are of the kitchen and back cabinets. The last shot is what I came up with for a central control center. I have a small coat closet just behind it which has 13" clearance over the foot of the bed. The bed has been increased to 58" wide for better sleep. The bottom of the control center has a fire extinguisher, then over that is the converter/main breaker box with storage area next to it. Then a platinum CAT heater (there is plastic wrap on it to help keep the dust off). At the top I have a large storage compartment, a switch for one of the outside sockets, a double switch that does the outside light and the light next to it that’s on. I also have a battery monitor and solar regulator under and next to the switch. I'm glad I do computer drafting as a home business, because I drew this area and gave it plenty of room to run wires and vent ducting for the furnace. The back of this area has 6 screws that come out and the whole back panel comes off for access. I can't say I loved doing all the work, but the design part was the best part for me. As others have said, I couldn't have done this without this terrific site to throw questions out and have them answered.
Attached Thumbnails
SmallP1040910.jpg   smallP1040913.jpg  

smallP1040915.jpg   smallP1040914.jpg  

SmallP1040917.jpg   smallP1040918.jpg  

DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:55 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
This is a stunning restoration. It has the feel of a classic boat cabin. Congratulations!

Regards,

Matt
Old 12-31-2010, 05:31 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Very nice job. Interesting location for the fantastic fan. You certainly won't hit your head on that. And the window looks great. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:56 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oh WOW! I certainly hope to meet you and the wife at a local NOG

Danny care to share the name of the glass installer? My front window needs to be replaced. I have new plexi and the gasket/lockstrip... but not the energy to do the work. The price is within my budget too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:16 AM   #5

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
It's a beautiful design and a well crafted build-out. Thanks for the inspiration.
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
WOWIE ZOWIE! I think we've discovered 'another' Robert Johans...or maybe it's the new opening of the EggPlant's Hillsboro franchise!!!
When can I bring over my '73 Compact II for it's restoration...and how much will it cost me?!!!
I can be there in 2 hours. Just let me know when.
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:41 AM   #7

Registry
Thanks for all the kind comments. Matt, it's funny that you mention a boat cabin, as the only other interior I've played with is a sailboat I used to have, and I built a small power boat when I was 20. The power boat transom have me the idea for the table support.

Donna, the name of the window installation business is "Allpro Autoglass INC", 503-288-4777. If the name and phone number is not allowed and removed, I will Email it to you. Looking foreward to seeing you at NOG

P Raz. I ended up with the fantastic fan at the kitchen due to the 1/2" clearance I have on the roof to get it in the garage. I also moved the original top vent over the table which gave me the needed clearance with the new axle.

bbuehler. Thanks for the offer, but I wouldn't do another one. I say that now, but it may be like childbirth and you have to give it time. My real passion is photography, and one of the reasons I did the trailer was to get to remote areas to shoot. Now with this project done, I can get back into it. Don't know if this will come in, but here is my flickr web site showing some of my photo's. Flickr: DDHot1's Photostream
Old 12-31-2010, 11:54 AM   #8

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Danny H Really like the dinette design "My real passion is photography, and one of the reasons I did the trailer was to get to remote areas to shoot" ditto.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:56 PM   #9

Allpro Autoglass INC, 503-288-4777 Got it Danny. THANKS!!!
Old 12-31-2010, 10:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
After playing around for an hour trying to figure out how to install the front and back windows, I just called a glass installer and they came by today and it's done. Way easier than getting frustrated. This is one of the few things that I have not done in the restore and if it ever needs redoing, I'll call these guys to do it again. Best $140 I've spent. It took them 1 1/2 hours.

I should be finished in one to two months. I still have the door to put on and the wife is going to sew the curtains and seat fabric. I need to also do the curtain rods. We ordered a mattress from Walmart that was reasonably priced ( a quarter of the Southern mattress cost with shipping.) Below is a shot of the front with windows in. I also threw in a couple of interior shots. The first one is the table I came up with. I didn't want a support in the way, so I designed a piece of plywood (3 pieces of 3/4") that is glassed to the front wall and curves under the table to support it. Then I had to figure how to get a person in the seat next to kitchen. I thought of doing the sliding table like the escape trailers, but came up with something easier. I cut the table in half and put a hinge in. I also put a little support coming out to help hold up the end. I have a little over a foot clearance to get in. The other shots are of the kitchen and back cabinets. The last shot is what I came up with for a central control center. I have a small coat closet just behind it which has 13" clearance over the foot of the bed. The bed has been increased to 58" wide for better sleep. The bottom of the control center has a fire extinguisher, then over that is the converter/main breaker box with storage area next to it. Then a platinum CAT heater (there is plastic wrap on it to help keep the dust off). At the top I have a large storage compartment, a switch for one of the outside sockets, a double switch that does the outside light and the light next to it that’s on. I also have a battery monitor and solar regulator under and next to the switch. I'm glad I do computer drafting as a home business, because I drew this area and gave it plenty of room to run wires and vent ducting for the furnace. The back of this area has 6 screws that come out and the whole back panel comes off for access. I can't say I loved doing all the work, but the design part was the best part for me. As others have said, I couldn't have done this without this terrific site to throw questions out and have them answered.
I love the front table assembly ,that is thinking outside the box. the finshing work is great. Do you have the option to flip the whole table forward to make a single bed.

Great looking trailer you have there.
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:43 AM   #11

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
That's a fine thing you've done with your trailer. The large bed/permanent dinette makes a 13', with all the economy that goes with it, a viable thing.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Wow! Beautiful work. But here's what I really appreciate...

1. Cool looking aluminum propane tank. Where did you find that?
2. "Polished" and rebuilt aluminum window frames. I know that took a lot more effort than most folks realize.
3. Wrapping overhead cabinets. That idea makes a lot of good sense.
4. Clever table set-up...

But what has my eyes bugging is the transformation of the vertical cabinet! Can you share more photos and details about everything going on there? So many questions. I hope you can accommodate us!

(P.S. Aren't those domed LEDs from Autolumination cool!)
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #13

Registry
Ken, I made the decision to have a permanent table early on. So it does not come down. The way I designed the support made movement impractical.

Robert. I got the aluminum tank at "Vintage Trailers". Thanks for the window comment; I took me a month just to find the rubber replacement pieces, then a full day of cleaning and polishing each piece of the disassembled window. I like the final product. I just installed the door and I'm in the process of painting the red stripe on the door, so I can't get in to take more photo's of the vertical cabinet. The stripe should be done by Monday, as it's 32 degrees outside and my tiny heater next to the stripe is having a hard time curing each coat. I'll get more shots and explanation mid week.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
I took me a month just to find the rubber replacement pieces, then a full day of cleaning and polishing each piece of the disassembled window.
You know, it's all about the details... Having done a little window refurbishing myself, I could see there was a lot of elbow grease put into your windows. I really appreciate that kind of effort and care. Speaks to the overall quality of your project. Good work, brother.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #15

Isn't it cool Robert, Danny lives in Oregon.. nearer to me than you... but, we've got a good shot at seeing this trailer in person

Tags
windows