Front table - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2006, 11:00 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Send a message via AIM to Slocamper
Has anyone made a light weight table for the front couch? One that 2 people could eat at and stow easily when done?
Slocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:23 AM   #2

Name: Brenda
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Hi Jim,

We made a small table that is recessed into the back rest part of our Trillium. It is offset a bit so that two people can sit on either side of it and it really comes in handy. The front can still be made into bunks as well.

The link to our site is below. Click on "Dewey" and you will find what it looks like.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/nova1/Three%20T...%20Trailers.htm

Brenda
Brenda Novakovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16 ft
Jim I bought a small folding table at campingworld cost around $40 but it folds onto it's self with the legs on the inside I fold and stow it on the goucho leaning up against the side toilet it's out of sight but handy so the two of us can use it.
made out of plastic but looks like metal and is very sturdy. beats useing TV trays.
Larry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:23 PM   #4

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Almost finished is a fold-down little table top I am making. The key was finding the right hinges.

<blockquote>1. One double action spring loaded table leaf hinge available in the Lee Valley hardware catalogue. $10/pair but only one needed. Very sturdy, strong,spring-loaded hinge that allows me to extend the table a little more. This hinge is also key to a tight butt for the main table and the folding rounded front leaf.

2. One special chrome 7" hinge normally used on roach coaches for their pull-out shelves. Found it on ebay but a good substitute folding hinge can be found on the Fish House Supply website.</blockquote>
The walnut frame is attached to the shelf built into the Burro wall normally used to support an upper bunk. I used scrap 5/4 walnut that perked up with Watco walnut tung oil. Only problem I have with my design is when I want to open up the table I will have to pull the 8" thick cushion forward a tad to clear it.

The 7" chrome hinge has a slider built into it so when up the top will slide backward onto that wide cross piece (see middle pix).
Attached Thumbnails
LiteTabL06.jpg   LiteTabL04.jpg  

LiteTab09.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:51 PM   #5

New Mexico
Registry
Here's a view underneath with the front leaf folded under. It catches on the double-action hinge. Then simply pull forward to slide the table off the walnut and down it goes. The table is 18 or 19 inches wide (I forget).
Attached Thumbnails
LiteTabL02.jpg  
Old 01-06-2006, 10:30 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Thas pretty nifty Myron!

I have a two person table I actually use in place of the large dinnette table. It could be used at the sofa as well.

My space saving table!

Scroll down to the Computer/TV tray table.

It weighs nothing, folds to very flat, collapses and sets up with absolutely no brute force and can be set on the useless back seat of the Burro and used as an end table.

I did a whole trhread on the table coversion, but it was lost in the crash. In a nutshell, I use 1x4s and set the lengthwise edges of the table on them, straddled, to make a base for the bed cushions.

It could easily be folded flat and hung on your closet door without taking up any space.
Attached Thumbnails
table_up.jpg   1x32s.jpg  

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Myron,

Nice work. Looks like you can still use cushions around this also. More amazing are the hinges you found!
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #8

New Mexico
Registry
Thanks Gina (I saw that post of yours before it got trashed).

Gary...... I had been fooling around with other far more clumsy folding plans before this one suddenly came together for me and the right hinges are what done it.

That roach coach slider hinge was a gamble that really turned out. Funny thing is I took the chance only when other standard folding hinge I was looking at was out of stock. Also didn't expect the double action spring loaded leaf hinge would turn into SUPER HINGE. It is! Was important that no gap exists across table top formica when leaf is in place. This does it, tightly.