Garmin reverse camera - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2022, 02:01 PM   #1

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Manitoba
Garmin reverse camera

I have a Garmin GPS and reverse camera on my van already so I added a 2nd camera to my Trillium 4500.

It is “wireless” for the communication but does require power so the one on my van is spliced into the reverse light power. In the trailer it is spliced into the running lights so it will only be on if the van is connected and the lights are on (so It won’t drain the trailer battery ever).

I can view the map or the camera on the GPS while driving.
Attached Thumbnails
A8DF179B-BBEF-4B3B-BA6B-54753CABFAC1.jpg   B5589950-36B2-468D-AC6E-E8C5F248C45D.jpg  

spidermoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 03:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermoore View Post
I have a Garmin GPS and reverse camera on my van already so I added a 2nd camera to my Trillium 4500.

It is “wireless” for the communication but does require power so the one on my van is spliced into the reverse light power. In the trailer it is spliced into the running lights so it will only be on if the van is connected and the lights are on (so It won’t drain the trailer battery ever).

I can view the map or the camera on the GPS while driving.

That is brilliant!
Where did you put the transmitter? I was thinking of putting mine in the upper front shelf.

I have the same system in my TV.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 06:58 AM   #3

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
That is brilliant!
Where did you put the transmitter? I was thinking of putting mine in the upper front shelf.

I have the same system in my TV.

The transmitter is under the rear seat near where I spliced it into the running light. I thought that closer to the tow vehicle might be required to reduce the wireless distance but it seems to work fine where it is now, near the back of the trailer.
Old 08-31-2022, 01:24 PM   #4

Correction -I may have the same system. I recognized the Garmin BC-30 camera but I don't know what you have on the receiving end.

I've got the Garmin Drive Assist 51 LMT-S as the GPS/dash-cam/bu-camera receiver. Most of the time it works pretty good, even better with the software update. It does not run as hot any more. On occasion it says a cable is disconnected and on occasion it does not link up with the back up camera.

I don't use the Garmin Smartphone link. It can't be turned off on the android phone once installed. That is the one thing I would like them to change. Installing and uninstalling is a PITA.

In my TV, a 1st generation Ridgeline, I picked up an aftermarket tailgate handle that has a space and opening for backup camera. That was an option on later model years. It took a little MacGuyvering to get the BC-30 to fit. I put the transmitter on the drivers side behind the tail lights.

I'm glad to hear yours works over that distance. Are you able to use Voice Commands to show/hide the camera view while driving on your setup? Voice Commands are cool once you learn the syntax.
Old 08-31-2022, 01:31 PM   #5

Manitoba
Quote:
Correction -I may have the same system. I recognized the Garmin BC-30 camera but I don't know what you have on the receiving end.

I've got the Garmin Drive Assist 51 LMT-S as the GPS/dash-cam/bu-camera receiver. Most of the time it works pretty good, even better with the software update. It does not run as hot any more. On occasion it says a cable is disconnected and on occasion it does not link up with the back up camera.

I don't use the Garmin Smartphone link. It can't be turned off on the android phone once installed. That is the one thing I would like them to change. Installing and uninstalling is a PITA.

In my TV, a 1st generation Ridgeline, I picked up an aftermarket tailgate handle that has a space and opening for backup camera. That was an option on later model years. It took a little MacGuyvering to get the BC-30 to fit. I put the transmitter on the drivers side behind the tail lights.

I'm glad to hear yours works over that distance. Are you able to use Voice Commands to show/hide the camera view while driving on your setup? Voice Commands are cool once you learn the syntax.

I just have an add-on Garmin suction cupped to the windshield. I don't know of any voice commands for that.
Old 08-31-2022, 01:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermoore View Post
I just have an add-on Garmin suction cupped to the windshield. I don't know of any voice commands for that.

So how do you switch between map and camera view?

My Garmin talks to me.
Old 08-31-2022, 02:55 PM   #7

Manitoba
Quote:
So how do you switch between map and camera view?

My Garmin talks to me.

There is a button on screen that appears when there is more than one camera present. When I had just the one camera it would appear automatically when I put it in reverse and the camera was activated.