Gauge/Sensor for gray & black tanks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2020, 07:09 PM   #1

Name: J.D.
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 Layout 6
West Virginia
Gauge/Sensor for gray & black tanks

Today! Yes, today I now have a 2014 Scamp 16 - Layout 6

There are NO indicators / lights / gauges that tell how full the gray or black tanks are... I have really searched the Forums w/out success.

Is this something that can be added? Hopefully! Without removing the tanks.

Thanks,

J.D.
J.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:48 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
No gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
There are NO indicators / lights / gauges that tell how full the gray or black tanks are... I have really searched the Forums w/out success.
J.D.
The black tank (<10 gal ?) is in the shower with you and easy to see, the grey (21 gal?) is a guessing game. If you are boondocking, you only carry about 12 or 24 gallons of fresh water anyway.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:04 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Gauge/Sensor for gray &amp; black tanks

Yes, when you’re dry camping you can estimate waste tank level according to fresh water use. When you’re connected to city water, it’s a little harder.

Years ago I lived full-time in a travel trailer set up in a park. At first I found out the grey tank was full when the shower drain backed up. But since my patterns of water use were pretty regular, it didn’t take long to figure how how often I needed to dump.

The grey tank always filled first, so I never had to worry about the black tank. It always got dumped at the same time.

There are gauges, but I think you may find you don’t really need them.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:19 AM   #4

Name: Deb
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot B19
British Columbia
I was looking up exactly the same information. My old motorhome only had a single waste tank. Most of us would go by how long our fresh water tank lasted. (we all had monitors and sensors, but over time, the black tank sensors would quit (a few decades will do that, and no one really felt like digging around in there) Since they were the same volume, when you run of fresh water, it's time to dump. Rarely used shore water supply, always the fresh water tank in the coach.
But since there are 2 tanks in the trailer, I was wondering about the possibility of adding in sensors and a panel. But I suppose the best thing for me would be to start by living out of the fresh water holding tank for a while and see what my use/fill patterns are. I was thinking about adding in a water gauge at the pressurized water inlet, so that when I do start using 'shore water' I can keep track of my volume coming in. What comes in has to go out somewhere.
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:29 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I ran into that too and I PROMISE you there's no good way to judge the tank level except with gauges that MONITORS the gray tank. The fresh and black tanks are "visible" and are not an issue.

The link below is to MY installation I did and have used it for years now without ONE issue. It's fairly easy to install and requires NO entry into your tank thus eliminating a potential "leak" point. It's simple wiring but if you're uncomfortable with it, any "handy man" type person that can troubleshoot 12v wiring could hook it up for ya.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57651864275800
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:41 AM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I ran into that too and I PROMISE you there's no good way to judge the tank level except with gauges that MONITORS the gray tank. The fresh and black tanks are "visible" and are not an issue.

The link below is to MY installation I did and have used it for years now without ONE issue. It's fairly easy to install and requires NO entry into your tank thus eliminating a potential "leak" point. It's simple wiring but if you're uncomfortable with it, any "handy man" type person that can troubleshoot 12v wiring could hook it up for ya.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57651864275800
Thanks Darral. That looks like the kind of thing I would be interested in. My tanks aren't actually 'visible' unless I start crawling around on the floor or under the trailer & I don't want to have to do any drilling into tanks. This looks like a very good option.
I have been in contact with them.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:11 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Glad you liked it. I looked into all the others like you're doing but this one just looked the best to me.

One thing I want to clarify; my tank is where I could get to it BUT I did have to get on the ground to put the sensor tape on it. I think I have the info on my Flickr photos but make SURE you coat the sensors with the "spray can" 3M contact cement. It works SUPER even though it sounds kinda weird.

Let me know if you get it installed and working. They're tech support is superb as well. And finally, I TESTED the tank with measured water- meaning a bucket marked in gallons. The LEDs tracked perfectly up the scale. I have it when the last LED at the top it lit, you still have maybe 3-4 gallons before it overflows. I tested the overflow as well while I was at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post
Thanks Darral. That looks like the kind of thing I would be interested in. My tanks aren't actually 'visible' unless I start crawling around on the floor or under the trailer & I don't want to have to do any drilling into tanks. This looks like a very good option.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:15 PM   #8

Name: J.D.
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 Layout 6
West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post

Just looked at the website and it seems fairly easy. $195.00

Deb - If you don't mind, let us know what transpires.

Thanks!
J.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:25 PM   #9

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B-17'
Washington
For the black tank just open the valve and look in the hole! For my clean water I just look at the tank. For the grey water I just dump black and grey every other day when parked with hook ups.
Glass House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:50 AM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Just looked at the website and it seems fairly easy. $195.00

Deb - If you don't mind, let us know what transpires.

Thanks!
Will do. Pretty sure I will invest in it. Nice to know your levels without having to stick your face over the head or crawl around. Especially if you have a travelling buddy (changes water use considerably) and/or hooked up to shore water rather than the fresh tank. I liked having a more readily accessible visual. Maybe I'm spoiled.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:53 AM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Glad you liked it. I looked into all the others like you're doing but this one just looked the best to me.

One thing I want to clarify; my tank is where I could get to it BUT I did have to get on the ground to put the sensor tape on it. I think I have the info on my Flickr photos but make SURE you coat the sensors with the "spray can" 3M contact cement. It works SUPER even though it sounds kinda weird.

Let me know if you get it installed and working. They're tech support is superb as well. And finally, I TESTED the tank with measured water- meaning a bucket marked in gallons. The LEDs tracked perfectly up the scale. I have it when the last LED at the top it lit, you still have maybe 3-4 gallons before it overflows. I tested the overflow as well while I was at it.
I like the idea of a tested true volume as well as giving yourself some buffer room!
I don't mind crawling around once in a while, but I don't want to have to do it regularly. So a single (or dual) crawl for install is worth it to me!
Old 08-05-2020, 11:21 AM   #12

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Quote:

Thanks,

J.D.
I have installed the following on my 2018 13” scamp with bath.
https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv...72644042968750
It was easy and simple and has worked great. I have sensors on the Fresh, Gray, and Black tanks. Mounted the display pannel above the closet door next to the bath.
Ill post pictures later
Rozarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:58 PM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: Oliver
Arizona
They make a tank sensor that attaches to the outside of the tank.

https://www.amazon.com/SeeLevel-709P...682498&sr=8-21
Tim Warren is offline   Reply With Quote