Generator mount - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #21

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
Charlie,

It looks like you had more fun than the law allows making that. Nice set up.

Thanks. We will see how it goes. About this time next year it will have a lot of real time testing database!
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:15 PM   #22

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I built my own (lo-buck, cheapskate) version of one of these: https://www.rvgeneratorbox.com/ I bought the cheapest aluminum box I could get off Amazon ($80 something delivered), and two 8"X8" RV power cable doors off fleabay ($6 each). Cut a hole in each end and mounted the doors. Bolted a piece of 1/2" plywood on the floor and both ends to stiffen things up (the aluminum is so thin it only has one side). Mounted it all on a steel angle iron mount that slides in a 2" receiver hitch. Mounted a receiver hitch to the back of the Scamp, which includes an additional 3" angle iron running parallel just ahead of the rear bumper. Nicely reinforces everything back there.

I did not (yet) cut a hole/hatch in the top of the box for fuel fill. I run an extended run system from a boat gas tank sitting on top of the box. I carry the boat tank in the truck until we get to camp. I have not yet run the genny (Honda 2K) while on the Scamp so cannot talk to vibration. I take it off and set it out away from the Scamp as far as the cord allows. And just because somebody will ask, #1 we are alone where we camp, and #2 I can't hear the Honda over my CPAP. We ran it camping a few nights earlier this year to have A/C and it worked great.

I REALLY like this setup and am glad I spent the little money and lot of time to do it. It protects and secures the Honda and makes a nice addition. The extended run is even a better expenditure of time and money.

We lost power for 5 1/2 days after Hurricane Michael and the little Honda sat in the box in the backyard and ran happily all night and a little during the day to get us by until the power came back on. I was initially concerned about heat build up in the box but have only ran it with the big main door open and of course the little end doors open and it works great.

I have also toted it to a work site (and ran it) stuck in the receiver hitch of the truck because I had no room in the bed. Worked fine there as well. I love my little Honda!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:46 PM   #23

North Carolina
Registry
Nice. I do need to come up with some kind of cover for it. So I can run it in the rain. I was considering getting a piece of diamond plate aluminum bent in a U shape to bolt to the plate.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:35 PM   #24

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Generator storage.

WE just keep our Briggs& Stratton 2200W Gen under the Bak-Flip [folding/locking tonneau cover} of our Frontier.

The dang thing fiits with 1/4" to spare ;-)

When running it, I lock it with a big a-- heavy chain to the trailer frame.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #25

North Carolina
Registry
That works great if you use a pickup. I originally had this security plate in the bed of mine. However the Expedition is a bit more powerful and comfortable than the Ranger on those long trips.

Tags
generator