Generator: Yamaha 2000 W - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #21

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
My Predator 2500 has given good service and we'll worth the $399 I paid.
About the same noose as the Honda after I modified the air intake
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:05 AM   #22

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Even Crapsman and Snao-Off are selling items here in the US that are made in China.
Go to the Harbor Freight web site or store and then do some research on what you want to purchase. Their generators are getting great reviews.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:33 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I wonder if that would still be a problem if you put the EMS in bypass mode. I would ask that question also. (Bypass mode disables all the power protection except for surge and is intended to be used when the EMS microprocessor fails, until it can be repaired of course).
Placing it in bypass does not solve the problem. The sensing circuitry, which causes the problem, is still connected in the bypass mode. Again, I'd check with Progressive. It has been awhile since the problem was discovered; it i possible that have arrived at a solution.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:28 AM   #24

Name: Brent
Trailer: Fith Wheel
Alaska
2000=1600

Only problem with the Yamaha is that the 2000 is really only a 1600. 2000 surge watt rated, 1600 watt continuous. I have owned both Honda and Yamaha. But my Honda 2000 puts out more power than my 2400 Yamaha. Now that Honda has increased it's 2000 watt to 2200 watt I would buy the Honda, just for having access to more power, they are with in $50 in price of each other. My 2400 Yamaha has less than 20 hours on it and my Honda is 20 years old and is still going 10000+ hrs (had to replace the carb on it). The only reason I use it is that it can run my AC unit if need, but the Yamaha can not. Both are high end generators and will last you a long time as long as you take care of it.
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:36 AM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
jd is this the one that looks like the Honda 2000? I see those my mouth waters for a bit but then I cant figure out a reason to buy one! we can boondock for 4 days and my battery is still up no tv or dvds at our house!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:58 AM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
If you can take the AC out of the equasion, the need for a generator is almost gone. The only time we've needed AC was in Las Vegas and Phoenix in the summer time and we had full hookups there. The rest of the time, with occasional microwave use, an inverter works well. Or to charge the computer and phones, or run a DVD player, a small cigarette lighter inverter works perfectly. The are very cheap, efficient and easily available.

To charge the trailer batteries I've started using jumper cables to the TV. It puts in some serious amperage with the truck idling. If the batteries are low in the morning, for instance, and we want a few minutes of microwave time, just hook up the cables and charge while making breakfast.

And, of course, the solar panels can make up a lot of useage with a day of sun.

I don't mind using the power if we have it. Lights, the heater, a DVD, etc. The useage just has to be managed. Part of the fun is having toys and conveniences while out in the wilderness, but the generator is really annoying and I don't like running it if anyone is in earshot. The sound, even as quiet as they are, really grates on me afer a while, and they charge the batteries much slower than a set of jumper cables with the truck idling. Plus, an idling truck is quieter and means you don't have to lug along the genny.

Last week, in Yosemite, there was a cacophany of generators running in the morning. Then again in the evening. Sheesh. And none of that running had anything to do with air conditioning, cooking with propane or campfires.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
...If the batteries are low in the morning, for instance, and we want a few minutes of microwave time, just hook up the cables and charge while making breakfast.

...Plus, an idling truck is quieter and means you don't have to lug along the genny.

Last week, in Yosemite, there was a cacophany of generators running in the morning. Then again in the evening. Sheesh...
We've never been campground neighbors, so I can't comment on your truck specifically, but I'll have to say in general I'd rather listen to a quiet generator than an idling diesel during breakfast.

Actually, I'd rather have neither, but either is better than a large contractor's generator!

I do hope you respect campground quiet hours when idling your truck to charge batteries.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:10 PM   #28

Name: Brent
Trailer: Fith Wheel
Alaska
Truck VS Generator

I guess my point was missed. I am not sure what the original person who started the thread is leaning toward, solar power or a generator. My only point was to make sure do do your home work. and know that a 2000 watt generator may not be a true 2000 watt generator. So match your generator to your needs, if you decide to go that way. I do have to say that I have never been near a truck that is more quiet than any of the Honda or Yamaha generators that I have owned. We live in a world that people use generators, if you camp in places that you have another camper 20-30 feet away. Then you choose to listen to other campers, good or bad. Where I live we have a different situation. We have many places that we camp that you will never see anyone all week end, there are also places that we have the neighbors. Living in Alaska, when you are all alone and and someone pulls up to camp, you go over an introduce yourself and welcome them. We typically want our space, but are willing to share if someone comes along. If we want our privacy we go to those places where we know we are not going to have others around, or there is only room for one camper. In the places we have camped in the lower 48 this seems almost impossible. So make the most of it and maybe pick up a few friends along the way.
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:58 AM   #29

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
tri fuel vs lp alone - we have the Honda / GenConneX LP

We have the Honda 2000. Never had a Yamaha so I can't compare.

I will say we considered the moto snorkel, but after research we ultimately went with the GenConneX LP conversion. Two reasons. First it actually has a regulator that meters the LP usage based on the vacuum that the carb is pulling. This allows less LP usage than a fixed rate system. Second was it fits inside the cover of the gen. No regulators screwed on to the outside and no holes drilled anywhere. Its all internal and bolt on, looks OEM, and 100% reversabe. Downside (wasn't for us) is it is only an LP kit, so you cant run natural gas or gasoline once converted. But we didn't want to anyway.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:08 AM   #30

Missouri
In my 50 years of camping mostly a tent I have learned less is better. we have been everyplace and never needed an air conditioner or use of a/c for that matter. we have been in 100d wx out west az and nv come to mind just move to shade mostly created by the tent or trailer and temp drops a lot.

we live in mo. about as hot and humid in the summer as it can get we use the same methods of cooling! fan at night in a couple of hours turning the fan off too cool! our scamper has an a/c we never turn it on matter of fact we make the campground mad because we get a primitive spot they think we have to have a/c!

maybe we are tough we both grew up in a house without ac! sometimes our wants get in front of our needs. I have found no matter how quite a gen. is you can still hear it. they have an irritating sound to them!

camping to us is not about luxury as a side note it can be 100d and people are outside their high dollar rigs a/c s running they are outside burning wood.

Make any sense?

bob
Old 04-22-2018, 07:53 AM   #31

Missouri
jon unless its a diesel I have never heard a truck or car idleing I know they are because I could see something was up.

he is right though about charging a battery off the truck or car much faster

bob
Old 04-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #32

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post

maybe we are tough we both grew up in a house without ac! sometimes our wants get in front of our needs. I have found no matter how quite a gen. is you can still hear it. they have an irritating sound to them!

bob
Yes, Bob, you are tough! Me, no problem with camping in just a tent. I continue to do it. But if I am going with my wife, then a toilet and an air condition are REQUIRED, no exception!

Happy wife, happy life!

As far as wants versus needs, its always about wants. Some have a shorter list than others. Even a nice tent is a "want". I've camped next to people with a 40 foot motor coach, dual rear axles, outdoor big screen TV, bath and a 1/2, multiple tilt outs. Meanwhile, I was camping in my garage sale dome tent..... Neither of us needed what we were camping in, but their wants were much grander than mine!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #33

Missouri
bill

life is funny I have had the 40f bus hated it scary to drive and control for me! had the 32f 5th wheel, spent 40 years tenting now a 13f scamper.

I wouldn't trade my tenting days for anything you get down to hard claypan camping, we have met people from all over the world while tenting.

we were in the shard in London and met Iranians who were so warm and friendly our sworn enemies but we shared such a good time.

got my wallet stolen in rome once again met up with our sworn enemies they were so sympathetic to use they offered to buy our supper!

it seems tenting brings out the very best in people if we let it we will never forgot those wonderful times!

bob

Tags
generator