Generators - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2011, 05:54 AM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Generators

Our new Egg Camper has a tongue bracket sized for a Honda 2000. If any of you are carrying a generator this way, how is it working out? How do you secure it in place and make it theft proof? Thanks.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
So what's it look like? I'd build a box over it and lock the box to the tongue, but also chain the generator inside of the box.

That's what I've got. However, I made my bracket/tray and the box, so I don't really know what yours looks like. Factory installed or by another owner!!
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:37 AM   #3

Michigan
The bracket is factory std equipment. It's directly behind the battery box which is directly behind the tongue jack. The only other owner of my trailer was the factory.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
rgrugg Have any photos?
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:26 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
When we bought our EggCamper Jim Palmer suggested putting a propane tank cover over a generator so people would think it was just a couple of bottles of propane and not be as likely to steal it. We never bought a generator, but if we ever do I'll look into the cover idea. It seems like he said the cover could be cut down to fit better, so I'm guessing the propane bottles are taller than the Honda/Yamaha generators.

Oh, and the bracket is nothing fancy, just two pieces of angle iron that span the tongue.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:17 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Here are the dimensions for a couple of propane covers, they are stiff plastic and stand up by themselves.

Bill K

Heavy duty polyethylene covers protect propane gas bottles from flying debris while streamlining the look of your rig. Slip the custom molded, assembled unit over bottles for a safe, secure fit and UV protection against sun damage. Updated design provides easier access to gas valves.

20lb Cylinder Dimensions: 30" L x 15" W x 20" H.
30lb Cylinder Dimensions: 30" L x 15" W x 26" H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
When we bought our EggCamper Jim Palmer suggested putting a propane tank cover over a generator so people would think it was just a couple of bottles of propane and not be as likely to steal it. We never bought a generator, but if we ever do I'll look into the cover idea. It seems like he said the cover could be cut down to fit better, so I'm guessing the propane bottles are taller than the Honda/Yamaha generators.

Oh, and the bracket is nothing fancy, just two pieces of angle iron that span the tongue.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Our new Egg Camper has a tongue bracket sized for a Honda 2000. If any of you are carrying a generator this way, how is it working out? How do you secure it in place and make it theft proof? Thanks.
If it were me, I'd make a nice piece of exterior plywood base, bolted to the cross members. It would have a lip and I'd run a chain thru the genie and thru the base or around one of the cross members. Then get a soft sided propane cover like Gas Bottle Cover - Product - Camping World to cover the whole thing.
You may be able to get by with a 1000 watt as long as you do not operate the micro and a/c together. I do not think the a/c pulls more than 5-7 amps. That way you would have room for a gas can.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:05 PM   #8

Michigan
Thinking about a box on the bumper to hold the sewer hose and a gas can. With the hose I have, I have doubts about getting it out of the bumper.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #9

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Don't use chain, it's too easy to cut. Use thick braided steel cable, it is much tougher to cut through. Something similar to this would be far more secure than chain IMO.

Walmart.com: Reese Towpower Spare Tire Lock: Automotive
or
Walmart.com: OnGuard 6' Coil Cable Lock: Bikes & Riding Toys
or
Walmart.com: Reese Towpower 6' Cable and Lock: Automotive
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:55 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
Don't use chain, it's too easy to cut. Use thick braided steel cable, it is much tougher to cut through. Something similar to this would be far more secure than chain IMO.Automotive[/url]
Ditto.
It was a great surprise to me when I recently discovered that cable is indeed harder to cut than chain.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:14 AM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
another alternative is to obtain one of these
Tractor]Tractor Supply Company - Generic Error Supply Co.® Trailer Tongue Box, Silver - 1084099 | Tractor Supply Company[/url]
and attached to your tongue and put the generator inside. You can open it to operate, you my want to install some vents in rear for ventilation. another option for securing the genie while operating away from the trailer-
Cargo Management - Draw-Tite

I have used both with success....
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote