Get rid of my water tank: Yea or Nay? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2020, 10:55 PM   #1

Name: Corey
Trailer: Casita
WA
Get rid of my water tank: Yea or Nay?

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of doing a refresh on my 1992 Casita Patriot Standard and am trying to decide if I want to replace the water tank under the dinette or just turn it into more storage.

I don't plan on doing any boondocking, but I assumed they put this thing in here for a reason so...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Old water tank4.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	134411

It looks pretty janky, so if I do replace it I'll do new tank, lines, drip pan, fill port, etc.

I'm totally new to the world of these campers and would love to get everyone's thoughts.

Thanks!
HeavyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:19 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler
Registry
We boondock a lot so fresh water tank is mandatory. We also carry extra water. I wouldn't worry about the condition of that tank just clean it out and use it. We don't drink out of the onboard water we carry separate drinking water. I actually had to fill the trailer tank once from a lake we were parked beside so we could shower.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:48 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I've never liked the idea of the water tank sitting on the wood floor. To make matters worse there's often a hole through the floor to empty the tank. An easy formula for floor rot. Of course if you are not going to use it, there is no leak problem. Leaving it gives the next owner the option. If you need the storage, take it out , seal any holes and keep the tank for the next guy.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:32 AM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
We generally use bottled water either small bottles or gallon jugs for drinking and cooking, but water from the city water connection or the tank for washing. Often while traveling we stop for lunch and use the pump and tank for washing up or to wash after making repairs or emptying the waste tanks.
Having the water tank and pump proves to be handy fairly often.
We have found that where there are hard freezes the camp grounds have electric service but no water or sewer service. In these cases wh would have a problem without the tank.
We stayed in Decora Iowa for two weeks and had no water other that what we could fill our 5 gallon jug from a common spigot. We had to drain the holding tanks by moving the camper.
Leave the tank as more experience might well prove it's worth.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #5

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
Smile

I have a water tank installed under the floor at the back. It works but I'm considering an external jug with a drop in suction line. Easier to fill and drain, plus it remove some of the weight of the trailer to the tow vehicle. It will work with a small electric pump or the hand pump. I already have one jug I use for grey water---just need to be careful not to confuse the two .
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Boler 1300
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve67 View Post
I have a water tank installed under the floor at the back. It works but I'm considering an external jug with a drop in suction line. Easier to fill and drain, plus it remove some of the weight of the trailer to the tow vehicle. It will work with a small electric pump or the hand pump. I already have one jug I use for grey water---just need to be careful not to confuse the two .
That's what I've done for the reasons you stated Steve and so far I like it for my boler. I have an electric pump rig that plumbs right in to my city water pickup. Only one faucet needed.
bobdobqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:00 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdobqb View Post
That's what I've done for the reasons you stated Steve and so far I like it for my boler. I have an electric pump rig that plumbs right in to my city water pickup. Only one faucet needed.
I am considering an external/portable water pump for my RV. I notice frequent mention by various members of this forum that state they are using a pump.

Are there any recommendations for an electric pump that is not installed in the RV? How do you power it? What type of connection? Flow rate? Brand/model?

I have also been considering a "water bladder" to be carried in the TV that would hold 25 to 30 gallons of water for boondocking. I would need the pump to transfer water from the bladder to the RV system.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:14 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1300
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Bob

I purchased a flow max pump on amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3gpm and 45 psi. I don't use it a lot but so far it's worked out well.

And here is a pic of my setup. Power is provided by an external 12volt adapter. I also use that for my other 12v gadgets outside when needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	water.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	134413

Works for me. YMMV
bobdobqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:37 PM   #9

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyC View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of doing a refresh on my 1992 Casita Patriot Standard and am trying to decide if I want to replace the water tank under the dinette or just turn it into more storage.

I don't plan on doing any boondocking, but I assumed they put this thing in here for a reason so...

Attachment 134411

It looks pretty janky, so if I do replace it I'll do new tank, lines, drip pan, fill port, etc.

I'm totally new to the world of these campers and would love to get everyone's thoughts.

Thanks!
Keep the tank. It is needed more than you think. It doesn't need a drip pan and the drain line should extend about 2 inches below the bottom of the trailer so it doesn't get water into the trailer if installed correctly. So no need to worry about it causing floor rot. Unless the tank is brittle or has a hole no need to replace it. New fill port would be wise since you have everything tore out. If you should break down you might like having water to use. Obviously you don't plan to wash your hands otherwise if not in a campground with bathrooms.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:06 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 13.5 ft 1987
Registry
I quickly removed my storage water tank and lines, in favor of more storage and eliminating the maintenance (cleaning and winterizing). I kept the sink and drainage lines going to an external bucket or tank. The water and portable container(s) I carry is going to weigh the same and I know is drinkability (is that a word?) and it's portability. It's a personal preference based on your usage/preference.
John DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:24 PM   #11

WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Keep the tank. It is needed more than you think. It doesn't need a drip pan and the drain line should extend about 2 inches below the bottom of the trailer so it doesn't get water into the trailer if installed correctly. So no need to worry about it causing floor rot. Unless the tank is brittle or has a hole no need to replace it. New fill port would be wise since you have everything tore out. If you should break down you might like having water to use. Obviously you don't plan to wash your hands otherwise if not in a campground with bathrooms.
Thanks Jann!

The drain line looks good and extends more than 2" from the bottom of the trailer. I'll try not to mess it up when I pull the tank.

The tank seems to be intact, so I'll plan on just giving it a good bleach wash. However, you mentioned that I should replace the fill port. Right now I've got one that looks like this

Name:   Fresh water inlet.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  3.1 KB

I've read on a couple of other threads that people seem to like this one when paired with a tube-to-hose connector for when you have a hose instead of a jug. Did you mean that I should get a new version of what I have or some different model?

Also, I currently have a tiny little hand pump faucet that isn't good for much and was hoping to install a water pump and new faucet. I assume that the increase pressure will require new hoses throughout. I saw on another thread that pex is the way to go but would appreciate any additional input.

Thanks again for all of the great info.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:45 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I also installed a 18 gal. tank that I hung from the frame and usually do not travel with water in it, unless I know I will be staying in parking lots on a trip to my destination campground. Also a lot of State and National Parks do not have water and a little water in the tank for flushing toilet during those mid-night bathroom runs is a lot better then going to the out house.
Once at a campground with drinkable water I will fill the water tank, and use the tanked water just for showers, toilet use, and cooking.
I will use the public out house during the day to save flushes.
To fill on extended stays, I fill my 5 gal. Home Depot water cooler, gong to the potable water station with my car. and use a funnel to refill the camper, once every few days.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:23 PM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Thanks Jann!

The drain line looks good and extends more than 2" from the bottom of the trailer. I'll try not to mess it up when I pull the tank.

The tank seems to be intact, so I'll plan on just giving it a good bleach wash. However, you mentioned that I should replace the fill port. Right now I've got one that looks like this

Attachment 134438

I've read on a couple of other threads that people seem to like this one when paired with a tube-to-hose connector for when you have a hose instead of a jug. Did you mean that I should get a new version of what I have or some different model?

Also, I currently have a tiny little hand pump faucet that isn't good for much and was hoping to install a water pump and new faucet. I assume that the increase pressure will require new hoses throughout. I saw on another thread that pex is the way to go but would appreciate any additional input.

Thanks again for all of the great info.
If your fill port is in good condition and not cracked or brittle then I wouldn't replace it. Why do you need to pull the tank? Unless you have to do something under it I'd leave it alone. You can clean the tank without having it out. A water pump and faucet would be a nice addition. The pumps are not that hard to install. Running the electric is easy if you have all the stuff out like it looks like you do. We remodeled a Casita and replaced the hot water heater with a larger one and ran electric for the igniter. It wasn't that hard if you are fairly handy. Pex is great tubing. We have it in our house. It is extremely sturdy and doesn't break easily if frozen. Doesn't mean you can let it freeze all winter but if it got a little froze it would be ok.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:46 PM   #14

WA
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm going to replace the vinyl flooring with something nicer and am planning to upgrade everything I can while I'm at it. That's why the water tank needs to come out. I suppose I should make a designated build thread...

Do people usually post all of their questions one at a time in a designated build thread or break them up into individual posts?

Thanks again for all the info.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:04 PM   #15

Colorado
Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm going to replace the vinyl flooring with something nicer and am planning to upgrade everything I can while I'm at it. That's why the water tank needs to come out. I suppose I should make a designated build thread...

Do people usually post all of their questions one at a time in a designated build thread or break them up into individual posts?

Thanks again for all the info.
I think people ask what they can think of at the time then as the rebuild goes on there's always other questions.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:29 PM   #16

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
I am considering an external/portable water pump for my RV. I notice frequent mention by various members of this forum that state they are using a pump.

Are there any recommendations for an electric pump that is not installed in the RV? How do you power it? What type of connection? Flow rate? Brand/model?

I have also been considering a "water bladder" to be carried in the TV that would hold 25 to 30 gallons of water for boondocking. I would need the pump to transfer water from the bladder to the RV system.

Getting a pump is easy. As long as your RV uses 12 volts go for that. You can get a good pump at a farm supply store. Look for a 12 volt sprayer pump. Obviously an unused one. ;-) Read the directions. Most of these are compatible with potable water. A FEW are not and will say so on the box. Not in an unopened box, take a pass. Also check on the preasure the pump is set to. Most are OK some are set high. They actually almost all adjust with a screw on the face of the pump.

There has been the comment about it being on wood and the drain line. Frankly this is an issue. But if you are doing a refresh and easy one to deal with. First I eliminated by drain line. I simply have a hose that fits on my sink and I drain my tank out the window (literally I stick a hose out the window) and just pump the water out. Works better than trying to get to the drain valve anyway. And half the time by the time you want it, it will be plugged.

Now the issue of on wood. It sounds like your camper might already have this handled. You mentioned a drain pan. I have had problems with my scamp because of this. If I was doing a full refresh like you are talking about I would go ahead and get a metal pan to put the tank in. A heating and airconditioning guy can make you one. Then under coat it both sides, and undercoat where it is going.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:01 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Get rid of my water tank: Yea or Nay?

Unless it’s leaking, no need to replace the tank. You can get it clean, disinfected, and safe to use. A 6" marine deck hatch in the top allows you to get inside to really scrub it out.

We've never used our water tank, but I plan to leave it there in case our needs (or someone else’s) change in the future. For now we mostly camp in developed sites without hookups but with water available nearby.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:05 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:

I had a friend help me with a significant remodel recently. When I would get hung up on a question and suggest that we might do something so that it would suit a future owner better, his counsel was that future owners would make the changes they wanted and I should just do what made it work best for me.

However, if you don't have a lot of experience with travel trailers and RVs, you might turn out to be the "future" owner as you acquire more experience and find what works best for you. In that case you might decide you would like to have a water tank after all.

Personally, we find ourselves in all kinds of situations. One year at West Yellowstone at a full-service site in September, they had everyone disconnect their water hook-ups at night as the weather was dipping significantly into freezing temperatures.

In fact, we tend to operate off of our fresh water tank most of the time, even when we have a water hookup available. That way, we tend to use less water and I know that our holding tanks are just about full as the fresh supply runs out.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:45 PM   #19

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post

In fact, we tend to operate off of our fresh water tank most of the time, even when we have a water hookup available. That way, we tend to use less water and I know that our holding tanks are just about full as the fresh supply runs out.

I camp many places without hook ups. And already have had to deal with one pressure regulator that has gone bad. Yeah it is bitch to have to repair you trailer away from home :-( I also quickly realized that my holding tanks will hold two plus a little of my fresh water tank. That was as you say I know when I am about to have a problem and can empty them before I am topped off.

Yeah always carry a hose, which I used to fill the tank at places with hook ups, and a regulator in case I need to hook up directly. But have not done so for several years.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:34 AM   #20

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
I took out the water tank and pump, as well as the sink, since we used it so little. I will carry water in 7.5 gal water jugs for use, drinking cooking, cleaning, and have a gal jug in for flushing the toilet. I had issues with the fittings staying tight on the pump, and had water leaks several times, so decided to get rid of the trouble. Haven't camped with it yet, just finishing things up, so will see if this works better. I can always put something back in if I find it isn't what I thought.

That is one of the nice things about working over an older trailer, you can keep changing things as you go along to fit the way you like to camp.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote