Getting a new awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2006, 02:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
For the past few months Camping World has been offering a new awning with free installation and a discount if you trade in your old one. We have just decided to do this. On June 17th they will swap us out for a new 8500 A&E awning 12' X 10' , total out of pocket in a worse case scenario $475.00. Seems like a good deal. If I don't need new arms the price will drop to $200.00.

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 04:32 PM   #2
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
That sounds terrific!

Never hurts to watch those ads.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 04:33 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
If I don't need new arms the price will drop to $200.00.

Paul
The last time I saw you you're arms seemed to working just fine.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
What a nightmare trip to Camping World that was.

1st off...they ordered in the wrong awning. Mine was supposed to be 12' Alpine green with a matching alpine green weather shield. It came in with a polar white weather shield.

2nd...The awning arms were supposed to be mende white (sort of off white) short length. They came in a polar white long.

My appointment time was 10:00am. I pulled into the Bay at 11:20. That's when, as I was watching, it was discovered the parts were incorrect.

Well, I accepted the awning as it was. After all a white weather shield is probally better than a solid dark green. But I refused to pay the $67.00 freight charge for a special order that was wrong. If they insisted I do that then they can darn well ship this back and make up and ship out the correct one.

I allowed them to put one short satin alluminum arms, provided that in a few weeks when the correct off white arms come in they switch them out at no charge.

As they were removing the old arms, they discovered dry rot in the wood backing that supported the bolts and they were nce enough to fix that problem with metal spacer blocks and other support at no additional charge since I was to receive free installation. But it took anothe 2 1/2hours instead of the usual 30 minute awning install.

Bottom line worked out good. As a result of the screw ups in the order, what was supposed to be almost $500 ended up @ $349.20 for a brand new 12' Alpine green vinyl awning with new arms, brackets and support rod.

But we were there from 9:30 till 3:00pm. Did you know they serve free hotdogs and lemonaide on Saturdays?

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Bottom line ... $349.20

Did you know they serve free hotdogs and lemonaide on Saturdays?

Paul
To everyone? Or those that had the privilege of spending $349.20 ?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:31 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I had a free hot dog there on Saturday once.

Needed it. I was going to die from starvation while waiting in the LONG LONG check out lines.

(Camping World is not my favorite place.. can't live with 'em.. can't live without 'em. )
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:03 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
But I refused to pay the $67.00 freight charge for a special order that was wrong. If they insisted I do that then they can darn well ship this back and make up and ship out the correct one.
Paul
Paul, the warehouse is in Milwaukie, OR....I paid $60 truck freight to have my new awning delivered! Little did I know it was only coming 13 miles..I could have picked the dang thing up and saved myself some bucks

Sigh, as much of a pain as having the awning installed was for you it sounds like it turned out okay You would have spent far more time than you spent at Camping World trying to do the work yourself. Did you spent the time shopping. If you did, bet the awning ended up costing you more than you thought
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I had a free hot dog there on Saturday once.

Needed it. I was going to die from starvation while waiting in the LONG LONG check out lines.

(Camping World is not my favorite place.. can't live with 'em.. can't live without 'em. )
I see you left your buns out of that one as well.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote