Getting my Scamp 13 ready, repairs, modifications, and mistakes. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Getting my Scamp 13 ready, repairs, modifications, and mistakes.

Made a lot of progress over the weekend, scrubbed the inside of the trailer from top to bottom, cleaned the carpet, cushion covers, and curtains. The curtains did not do well, but I'm replacing them anyway. I don't like working on dirty, funky stuff. Tested almost everything except the fridge and grey water tank/drain. Had our first dinner in it Sunday, and hung around out there until bedtime. We all fit and everyone likes it!

Just working down the punch list, one thing at a time. Today I had time after gardening, and the weather is cool and dry, so I reglued my reflectix and headliner in the front of the trailer. One more item off the list. I've had the battery on the charger during the day mostly, this morning it was still at 12.4 volts. So definitely on its last legs, trying to figure out how much battery I can fit on the tongue. On to pictures!

This is what my couch looked like before:

"After" picture at the end.

So, Sunday after the covers dried and the foam had been in the sun for a couple nice hot days, I was going to stuff them again. Have plastic and was going to use that with a shop vac to make it easier, but on a whim I tried just doing it and it went fine. Quieter, too! Took me a couple hours, but I had my "music for stuffing cushions by":

And then it was stuffing time!

The dinette cushions really cleaned up, the only "before" I have of them is all piled up on the table. Deduction for improper documentation!

Today's project was the ceiling. It was hanging low enough that I really had to duck to clear it. Normally if I look down, my head clears the ceiling.

I fooled with it a little bit, and planned to pull it down from the top of the front window back to the roof vent. Was hoping to not find anything like signs of leakage, mold, or possums. Turns out it just wasn't glued very well to begin with.

TO BE CONTINUED>>>
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Love it "TO BE CONTINUED>>> " waiting... patiently...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Continued from above.

I went with my trusted standby, 3M 90 spray adhesive. If it's applied right, it's very strong and lasts.

I also covered the floor, couch, and counter. I used a piece of cardboard as a spray shield, and wore a respirator. I think the solvent is either hexane or MEK, and I can't afford too many more brain cells. I couldn't find the box where I know there are 3 or 4 rollers, so I had a brainstorm that worked out great. I took an old bed frame wheel and ground off the protrusion on the shaft. Put it in a screwdriver handle and applied a liberal dosing of the handyman's secret weapon.

I worked in thirds, marked the ceiling and reflectix, sprayed, let dry, and worked from the center out, from the vent forward. The roller really got the glue together. There are still a couple annoying bubbles where the rat fur separated from the reflectix, but I didn't want to tear it all down to reglue that too. Besides, I used up the can of 90 that I had left. They only stick down maybe 1/4", but they're really noticeable to me, anyway. I also reglued the front corners, and some of the sides where the lower reflectix wraps up into the trolley roof. This is before I glued the seam strips back on:

Much flatter, can still see the wrinkles in the insulation and the bubbles I mentioned, but I'm happy with it.

Then I worked along the seams with hot-melt glue for fabrics, another one of my favorites. Tucked and smoothed, about 6" at a time. Very happy with the way it turned out. Coulda had a better pic of the couch, but oh well.

Tomorrow is outside day! Have a gallon of Zep, 4 cans of BKF, scrubbies and microfiber cloths. Will take lots of pictures. And yes, I know my curtain has a hole in it. They all do!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #4

AND you've washed the microfiber cloths several times, right? Otherwise, you're liable to leave thread in the ZEP. You've put a lot of effort into the rebuild, don't skip on time now.... wash/dry those cloths!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Already done, Donna. The cloths I'm using have been washed many times.

I forgot the one problem I had. The reflectix and rat fur wasn't quite long enough to tuck back under the front window gasket, so I ended up cutting a 1" strip and gluing that along the top of the window. Looks fine, but the curtain covers it anyway.

The gap:

Old 06-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPete View Post
Already done, Donna. The cloths I'm using have been washed many times.

I forgot the one problem I had. The reflectix and rat fur wasn't quite long enough to tuck back under the front window gasket, so I ended up cutting a 1" strip and gluing that along the top of the window. Looks fine, but the curtain covers it anyway.
about the washing and as far as the gap and extra rat fur.. mine looks just like that and it came that way from the factory twenty-five years ago!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #7

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Kevin
I sure like your idea about the bed frame roller. Why couldn't I think of that one... I now wonder how I can make a pizza roller for my homemade pizza
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #8

Name: Chris
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
AND you've washed the microfiber cloths several times, right? Otherwise, you're liable to leave thread in the ZEP. You've put a lot of effort into the rebuild, don't skip on time now.... wash/dry those cloths!
<--- very good advice! Trust me/her I know what Donna is talking about, if you have a cheap cloth and you do not wash it you will end up with lots of tiny fibers in the ZEP. The "fake leather" ones for window cleaning worked best for me and had the least fibers.
chse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Scrub a Dub

Today was outside cleaning day. Was a possibility that we might get 3" of rain in the next few days, wanted it all done before that. Still has a lot of warts, but if I was gonna put the effort into cleaning it, I'm going all the way. Besides, I can always strip it back off.

The BKF and Zep is great. If you have an older egg, and want it to be stupid shiny again, do it or get someone to do it for you.

Let's start with the "before", normal funky egg that's been sitting in a barnyard for 3 years.

The back- notice the nice filth ring the spare left. Had to cut the cover off it. Tire is not worn at all, but is old. Thinking of hitting the salvage yard this weekend, wheels are on sale. There was some sheen on the sides of the camper, but only under things where it's been protected.

Then the roof:

A closeup:

And the rockguard:

Took about 3 hours of steady work to clean it. The BKF did a great job, there is still a lot of caulk on the trailer, which is coming off, and it still has some spots. Oh well. There were only a few spots that just wouldn't come clean, but I'm the only one who'll notice them.

After scrubbing, the front (Yes, I know the curtain has a hole in it):

The side:

And the roof:

The Zep was easy to put on, followed all the advice from the other threads. Wore nitrile gloves, well-washed microfiber cloth , and a dish soap bottle. Ended up only using about 16 oz. Worked steadily, in the shade, for about 3 1/2 hours. Put 4 coats on everything. Finished just before dark.

Tune in next week for the exciting conclusion with shiny egg pictures!

OK, about 10 minutes for the shiny pictures.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Oooh! Shiny!

Nice when projects actually turn out well.

The back, dark enough that the flash was going off:

The front:

The side, lettering turned out great, should hold it until I feel like cutting some new letters:

The rockguard:

And last, the roof:

All in all, I really liked the way it turned out, and would do it again. I'd probably do it for a friend just to see how it turns out. Doing some stuff on the house for the next couple days, searching for wheels and tires next.

I even scrubbed my LP tank today! And then noticed that it's past due for recert, and full!

Found some lighter sockets that I like, might get one to play with. Only going to put one in, the rest will be USB and Powerpole connectors. Also need to start ordering LED lights to convert everything over and add some more.

Need to figure out a good way to provide an LED reading light in the front bunk that won't get swept off the wall by the back of the couch. Onward!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
Kevin
I sure like your idea about the bed frame roller. Why couldn't I think of that one... I now wonder how I can make a pizza roller for my homemade pizza
Once in a great while, one of my crazy ideas actually works! Tomorrow I will find the box with the rollers in it, while I'm looking for something else!

Rolled pizza? Learn to toss it, or at least stretch it out. Friend of mine has a rubber training pizza. Better texture on the crust. I have drawings done for a combination wood pizza oven/smoker/grill for the garden. If I'm going to have a big pile of rocks in the yard, it better do more than just make pizza.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #12

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
Minnesota
Kevin, be careful with that egg... you could blind passing drivers!
Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #13

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Love your documentation and your trailer looks amazing. Great job.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #14

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I agree. The outcome is fantastic. I need to do the same and this gives me motivation to get-er-done.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #15

Florida
Kevin
II make St Louis style Pizza (Imos). No yeast just baking soda so no tossing. I put it in my smoker and in about 14 mins OMG! If you ever want to try it Google Imos St Louis pizza.

And I love the new paint job. I can't wait to do mine and after seeing yours I might have to put it ob top of the list..
Old 06-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #16

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Kevin, we need sunglasses to look at your lil trailer. Great job!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Thanks, everyone. After I test the fridge, I'm going to start in on the wiring inside and out, putting in LED lights and 12v receptacles. Going to have to decide on what to do about the battery. I need a new one, might as well get one (or more) that will last and provide enough power.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #18

Florida
Kevin
Are you going to put in a solar panel too? If so take pics and notes because it is on my list. I am thinking 2 batteries and solar with inside LED lights (Ikea). I already did the outsie with led's at about 3.50 each. Not sure if they are still on sale.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, I already have an 85-watt panel for it, it's big but the price was right. Also have a small controller. Going to ground-mount it for now, if I went with a roof mount I'd probably buy smaller panels. Have to figure out the best way to mount 2 GC2 batteries. I'll mount a disconnect for the panels outside, probably on the battery box or nearby. That way I can just coil the cord up and put it away, or make a longer/shorter one as I see fit. Have a 12-2 extension cord with a mashed plug, so will put new connectors on it for use with the solar panel. Will start with 25' and see how that works out.

I don't like the light fixtures it has now, will most likely fabricate some small fixtures that are designed to work with LED lamps. I looked at direct replacements, for decent brightness you pay through the nose, cheaper to buy new fixtures. Will camp with it a few times to hash out where I want things to go. Evernote is your friend!
Old 06-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #20

Florida
Kevin,
Have you check Ikea? They have some get prices and many types of led lites.

Tags
scamp