Gila Window Film - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2016, 06:39 AM   #1

Name: Sally
Trailer: Scamp 19' Fifth Wheel
Florida
Gila Window Film

I just want to pass on this wonderful tip!

Gila window film..OMG really cuts down on the sunlight/heat coming in! Wow! We were really surprised about how well it works. We bought it at Home depot and while not particularly inexpensive, it seems to be a great product so far. They even have some cute patterns so going to put the stain glass window one in the door window. If you spend any time in Florida in the summer, this is a wonderful product! LOL..no I don't work for them.. I am just excited about how well it worked for us.
SallyBEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:58 AM   #2

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Does it darken very much, I mean block a lot of light?
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We used Gila on the West windows of our cabin .
Provides some privacy and sunblock . Has lasted about 8 years so far without issue.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:58 PM   #4

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Want, want, want!
Old 07-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I thought this might be good for the front window of my Scamp, so I did a little research.

Based on the below excerpt from the Gila website, it seems that it is ill-advised. Perhaps I will use it for the side windows that are glass (not sure if the door window is glass or plastic but I would guess plastic).
Can Gila residential films be applied to plastic, Plexiglas®, Lexan (polycarbonate), or auto windows?

Do not apply residential Gila films with adhesives to plastic, Plexiglas, polycarbonate surfaces, or motor vehicle windows. On plastic surfaces, the adhesive on the film may cause bubbling or blistering and long darts that have the appearance of wrinkles.

Furthermore, attempting to remove film from plastic surfaces may result in permanent damage to the windows. We suggest trying adhesive-free vinyl Glare Control or Privacy Black films on plastic, with careful attention to instruction and trimming.

Plexiglass, acrylic, and lexan are three non-glass materials used to make skylights, sidelights on front doors, storm door panes, and garage door windows. The advantage of these "plastic" materials is that they are more impact-resistant than glass. They are often more durable in certain window locations than glass.

Window film adhesive is not designed for these "plastic" windows. Changes in temperature cause natural expansion and contraction of both plexiglass and window film. The plexiglass and the film expand and contract at different rates, which cause the film to buckle and lift off the glass.

If you want to reflect more heat, you may cut a piece of Heat Control film to the size and shape of the window. Leave the clear liner on the film, and mount the outside of the curl of the film onto the glass after you put a ¼" border of double-sided tape around the inside perimeter of the window.

Do not try to apply film to compound-curved or domed skylights. Window film will not stretch to conform to these 3-D surfaces; but it can crease, pucker, and wrinkle badly if you try to force it to fit.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:58 PM   #6

Name: Sally
Trailer: Scamp 19' Fifth Wheel
Florida
It has made a HUGE difference for us. We used heat control which blocks 72% of heat-95% of UV Rays--Visible light- Maybe lost 30% at most. Looks darker from outside so others cannot see in as much either! Note: we applied to glass windows.
SallyBEE is offline   Reply With Quote