gps trackers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2021, 10:13 AM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
gps trackers

I am considering purchasing a gps tracker for my trailer and looking for real life experiences. Anybody use gps trackers on their trailer? If so what do you have? How well does it work? Initial cost? Recurring cost? etc.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:56 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Trak-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
I am considering purchasing a gps tracker for my trailer and looking for real life experiences. Anybody use gps trackers on their trailer? If so what do you have? How well does it work? Initial cost? Recurring cost? etc.
I have 3 types. I-phone, Ham radio APRS, and the best, TRAK-4.

https://trak-4.com/
I have 2 of them. First pair bought on amazon (5 volt USB charged) were junk. Second pair came from TRAK4 and are 12 VDC hard wired with a back up battery. I have it hidden in the wall of the Scamp and it works great. Picture is of the tracker page from my utility trailer. That one is charged from the marker light circuit. They need to get a radio signal in and out of the unit, Refectix attenuates signals, so mount it accordingly. REMEMBER; A TILE IS NOT A TRACKER. I have 4 of them and run them every day but they will not GPS track.
Attached Thumbnails
horse creek.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:04 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Registry
On sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
I have 3 types. I-phone, Ham radio APRS, and the best, TRAK-4.https://trak-4.com/
I have 2 of them. First pair bought on amazon (5 volt USB charged) were junk. Second pair came from TRAK4 and are 12 VDC hard wired with a back up battery. I have it hidden in the wall of the Scamp and it works great. Picture is of the tracker page from my utility trailer. That one is charged from the marker light circuit. They need to get a radio signal in and out of the unit, Refectix attenuates signals, so mount it accordingly. REMEMBER; A TILE IS NOT A TRACKER. I have 4 of them and run them every day but they will not GPS track.
I just noticed that they are on sale!!
https://shop.trak-4.com/
Old 02-20-2021, 03:18 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Too bad the $89 annual subscription is not on sale.

(Or 179.88 if you want minute-by-minute updates)
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:14 AM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Too bad the $89 annual subscription is not on sale.

(Or 179.88 if you want minute-by-minute updates)
Maybe you should think of the subscription part of the RV insurance.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:34 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Maybe you should think of the subscription part of the RV insurance.
I have insurance. I do not have a tracker. If I were to get a tracker it would not be as a substitute for insurance, it would be to increase the chances of recovering a camper that I have spent hundreds of hours on to customize and modify to my needs and wants... no insurance will cover the loss of my time.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:06 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Registry
In for the kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I have insurance. I do not have a tracker. If I were to get a tracker it would not be as a substitute to insurance, it would be to increase the chances of recovering a camper that I have spent hundreds of hours on to customize and modify to my needs and wants... no insurance will cover the loss of my time.
In my case I consider the tracker as extra coverage, NO insurance would ever pay for replacement of my Scamp, they go by book price not recent sales, And on mine I have spent a lot of time and money on modifications that I would never want to do over. I WANT MINE BACK IF STOLEN, and I enjoy a good hunt anyway.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:25 PM   #8

Syracuse, NY
Quote:
In my case I consider the tracker as extra coverage, NO insurance would ever pay for replacement of my Scamp, they go by book price not recent sales, And on mine I have spent a lot of time and money on modifications that I would never want to do over. I WANT MINE BACK IF STOLEN, and I enjoy a good hunt anyway.
My sentiments exactly. My trailer was an empty shell when we bought it and I don't want to build another one if I don't have to, but I would.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:27 PM   #9

Syracuse, NY
I just got signed up with trak-4. Took the tracker for a ride in the car and it looks like it works, now to put it in the trailer.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:25 PM   #10

Massachusetts
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I ordered one. I may go with the monthly program. When I an in my daughter's yard I am off the beaten path as I am at home in MA.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:01 AM   #11

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
It's too bad they put their logo on the box. You could, with some creativity, make it look like a normal piece of equipment for the trailer. But then that logo just screams GPS tracker!
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:21 AM   #12

Wisconsin
Registry
Mine are both unmarked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
It's too bad they put their logo on the box. You could, with some creativity, make it look like a normal piece of equipment for the trailer. But then that logo just screams GPS tracker!
The two that did not work well were marked but the replacement units were blank on the face. There is ID information on the bottom. Mine are hidden in the wall. A belt sander could remove any painted markings, remember also to get all paperwork for it out of the RV.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:28 AM   #13

New Hampshire
Kenneth, I just ordered mine with the 12 volt pigtail. If I don't like how the case looks in terms of disguise, I will see about disguising it using the case from another piece of equipment. I'm thinking about making it look like a power supply for something else.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:28 AM   #14

Syracuse, NY
There are no markings on the top of the box. I mounted mine in plain site in my shower area where there is no reflectix and ran the wires into the fan enclosure where I tied it in to the 12 volt supply. I put a label on it that reads Winco products inc- fan humidity controller, and some voltage, current and wifi BS.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:34 AM   #15

Wisconsin
Registry
What mine looked like inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Kenneth, I just ordered mine with the 12 volt pigtail. If I don't like how the case looks in terms of disguise, I will see about disguising it using the case from another piece of equipment. I'm thinking about making it look like a power supply for something else.
This is a picture of one of the USB powered units that I returned.
It was in need of resetting ever few weeks. And now you have me thinking that it may fit in the vent fan. Out of sight ,there is already 12 vdc there and it would be in a good location for the signal to reach the towers.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0277.jpg  
Old 03-01-2021, 03:11 PM   #16

Massachusetts
Quote:
This is a picture of one of the USB powered units that I returned.
It was in need of resetting ever few weeks. And now you have me thinking that it may fit in the vent fan. Out of sight ,there is already 12 vdc there and it would be in a good location for the signal to reach the towers.
I like this idea. I have to get into my fans anyway to do that mod that Slim Potatohead had in one of his videos. It is a fan speed controller.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:17 PM   #17

Syracuse, NY
Tom, Your attachment does not work.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:28 PM   #18

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
Tom, Your attachment does not work.
Yeah, I don't know what was going on. Nothing would work and i have inserted videos before. It wouldn't even insert a link for me. Maybe I will try later.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:46 PM   #19

Syracuse, NY
the link works in the notification email!
Old 03-01-2021, 03:47 PM   #20

New Hampshire
Youtube can be a little antsy about outside links to content. They might have killed it at their end.