Gutted Compact Jr:Help! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2021, 06:30 PM   #1

Name: Ginny
Trailer: In the market
Alabama
Gutted Compact Jr:Help!

Hi all! I have posted a couple times already regarding my hunt for a Compact Jr. I may have found one with a title today in my price range ($4,000) BUT.... it is totally gutted. The seller bought with the intention of restoring for himself but his plans have changed.

New wheels, new tires, frame strengthened by a welding shop, and by the time I pick it up he will have the body reattached to the frame with a new floor put in.

I am willing to spend a few thousand on renovations but I don't want to get in over my head so my questions are...

1. How much of this can I do myself? I am handy but would have to probably hire help on the plumbing and electric.

2. How much would it cost to do all on my own? How much would it cost to find somewhere to finish the renovation for me?

3. If you hired someone to do your renovation, how much did it cost?

I have attached some pictures so you can see the current state of the camper. Thank you in advance for your continued help!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1335.JPG   IMG_1330.JPG  

IMG_1332.JPG   IMG_1333.JPG  

Ginfulk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:42 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
well, its pretty much all plumbing and electric. it doesn't look like it even has a stove or cabinets or a bed or anything, so what all do you want to put in it?

my minimum would be a stove, propane furnace, 12V electric system with RV battery to run the furnace and interior (LED) lighting, a 12V 'power center' to charge the battery when plugged in, a few 120V sockets for when plugged in. 2-way or 3-way RV fridge (propane for off grid, 120VAC for on-grind, and possibly 12VDC for travel).

I'd want a fresh water tank, water heater, small sink, and outside shower fittings. that trailer looks too small to have room for a flush toilet or inside shower stall.

I'd want a bed, and a place to sit and read or eat. storage cabinets/closets/drawers for clothes, food, cooking gear.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:05 PM   #3

Alabama
Thanks for the replies! I am probably just looking to put in a hand pump sink, two burner stovetop, and cabinets and dinnette that turns into the bed. I don't need a lot of the things that many have like hot water heater, shower, toilet.

But I will keep that in mind, definetly not wanting to shell out thousands on just plumbing and electric.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
- Make sure seller installs adequate quantity of bolts holding the body down to flanges welded to the frame.

- Appears this trailer is also missing wall and ceiling insulation.

Make a list of the electrical and plumbing components you want and then price each component.

- Electric: mandatory towing harness and lights, brakes, ac-dc converter and inlet (optional), 12 volt DC interior lights and accessory sockets, battery

- Propane: stove, furnace, water heater, fridge (or this could be electric only)?

- Plumbing: sink, fresh water tank, grey water tank, pump

Cost really depends on HOW MANY of the above components you want. Paying labor to have plumbing, electrical and propane lines and components installed will probably be thousands of dollars.

BUT you can save by having battery only 12 vdc interior wiring for lights and accessory outlets. Also just install an AC circuit breaker box for shore power to power one or two AC outlets, or not install ANY shore power. For "plumbing", you could just have a sink together with a hand pump faucet mounted to the counter, then have a fresh water and grey water jug under the counter as many small trailers and camper vans do. Certainly don't need a water heater. Many small trailers don't have a furnace.

Some off the shelf component costs:

- small ac-dc converter $100-200
- small, quality fridge $1000
- standard 2 burner stove top $100-200
- standard furnace $500
- standard water heater $500
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:41 PM   #5

Michigan
Registry
Most small trailers don't have a permanent toilet, just a portable/porta potti.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:55 PM   #6

Michigan
Registry
OK if you keep it simple:

- towing lights and harness already installed and working?
- recommend brakes, mounting flanges must be present behind hubs
- insulation
- cabinets and benches
- wire in a couple of 12 volts lights and 12volt/USB outlets
- fridge or just a cooler?
- battery
- sink and hand pump faucet, fresh and grey water jugs
- portable toilet
- propane stove permanent or portable?
Old 02-16-2021, 12:54 PM   #7

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Did the P.O. have a to do list to finish his project? what has he researched ? Are you a cabinet maker ? Can you do upholstery ? Can you run propane gas lines? Electrical and water lines. You need a electrical inverter to convert 120 volt to 12 volt. Buying FG trailer insulation. Using woodworking tools. scribing floor covering to fit the new floor. Do you understand how new cabinets will be attached to the interior walls ? Knowing what adhesives to use. I am very poor at researching things on this forum. Can someone give Ginny the links here where a member has done a total rebuild ? If you are not a repair it, fix it, engineer a better one junky, I would look for a trailer more complete.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 01:28 PM   #8

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
I would suggest you roam around in the form to get some ideas. If you go to the Manufactures tab and select Boler you can read the thread by Shano 1975 Boler Complete Restoration or my thread Zombie Boler. You can spend a couple of grand or $20,000 depending on how involved and detailed you want. Plumbing and electrical are pretty simple for campers so don't let that be a hurdle. So far my biggest single purchase was my 12 volt compressor refrigerator followed by the cassette toilet. Both could be considered extravagant luxuries by many fiberglass trailer owners. What can I say I am decadent.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 01:53 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginfulk10 View Post
Hi all! I have posted a couple times already regarding my hunt for a Compact Jr. I may have found one with a title today in my price range ($4,000) BUT.... it is totally gutted. The seller bought with the intention of restoring for himself but his plans have changed.

New wheels, new tires, frame strengthened by a welding shop, and by the time I pick it up he will have the body reattached to the frame with a new floor put in.

I am willing to spend a few thousand on renovations but I don't want to get in over my head so my questions are...

1. How much of this can I do myself? I am handy but would have to probably hire help on the plumbing and electric.

2. How much would it cost to do all on my own? How much would it cost to find somewhere to finish the renovation for me?

3. If you hired someone to do your renovation, how much did it cost?

I have attached some pictures so you can see the current state of the camper. Thank you in advance for your continued help!
Ginny,

I would say that the general answer is that if you think you can, you can. And, if you think you can't, you can't.

This is a project that should be done under shelter in a shop or a garage. And, it will require a significant number of hand and power tools that you know how to use well and safely.

As to costs, they are always far beyond what one imagines. I'd suggest pricing out a power center, a 12-volt battery, a door(?), maybe some pre-manufactured cabinets that you can cut down and fit to the trailer, countertop materials, a mattress, an ice box or a 12-volt compressor refrigerator, water pump, roof fan, high-quality paint, interior liner fabrics, pop-top fabric, weather stripping, insulation, adhesives, and every other major item that you can think of.

Then, double that cost to cover other hardware, materials, and supplies, and the many things you will need but didn't realize you would need.

These projects are a labor of love. They are in no manner economical and it would be a gift if someone were to do it properly for an halfway reasonable price.

My hunch is that you should look elsewhere, but only you know yourself.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
There is a ton a labour sitting there and lots a coin.
Its a big commitment.
Are you ready for it?
Fred
Old 02-16-2021, 08:11 PM   #11

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
I suggest you take a "Chill Pill" and pass on this trailer.

Make your life a whole lot easier and start saving $500-$1000/month for the next 6+ months to add to your trailer purchase fund all the while doing whatever it is you like to do in your spare time with your family. Add this saved money to the money you have now to buy a POS trailer and go buy a NICE DONE READY TO USE TRAILER!

Chances are great that you would not be finished with your rebuild of this POS trailer within the next 6 months anyway so why would you want all that heartache and headaches? Why would you want to listen to the family bitch and complain about all the family time you are now spending working on the JUNK TRAILER? And last but not least you are going to spend that same amount of money rebuilding that POS trailer so instead of spending that money on that POS trailer as suggested above SAVE THAT MONEY and go buy a NICE TRAILER DONE!

In the end you and your family will be much happier with your DONE TRAILER purchase!

You don't need to be the guy to bail this seller out of his BAD PURCHASE DECISION!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:33 AM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Vintage racer nailed it. You need to inventory your skills, don’t under-estimate time and cost. Unless you can do it all, pass. And if you can do it all, I’d still pass as it’s over-priced.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:09 AM   #13

Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Registry
Having remodeled my camper in 2018 from new frame to roof vent and front hitch to rear hitch 2 x2 receiver I may be qualified to weigh in. If you can do the work and have access to the equipment to renovate this little gem you may be able to build the cabinets, wire the lights, adjust and make the brakes work properly etc. THE REAL QUESTION IS - - - - - - - What do you want/ A finished cheap camper? it won't be that. the cost to build cabinets that will stay together in a camper require superior materials for the long haul. Inexpensive store bought kitchen units will fail in 3 years or less if you use truly use your camper as a camper. Road vibration, humidity and hard use require better than average materials. Even solid wood materials will not stand up on their own. Every joint should be glued and screwed together. The countertop must be considered a 5 year replacement item because of materials. I use my camper as a camper not as a place to park and visit. My goal was to drag the poor little beast behind my truck where ever I go. Yes inexpensive materials will hold together for a while and will look good. I have had my little camper for more than 23 years. It was moldy, suffered flat tires, mushrooms growing on top of the camper and delaminated window sills front and back. Purchase price? $300.00 Year manufactured 1972. (I saw this little camper or it's identical twin in 1972 and wanted one since!) I ran across this camper behind a friend's house stored by his father for 15 Years in a tree line it was sad to say the least even the bins under the cushions were junk. It took me 2 years to make it useable and two more to get it even a bit nice. I only used it once a year as my wife would not even look inside because she saw it when it was in bad shape. Be realistic do you want to go down that road or will you give up like the current owner who is trying to salvage some of his investment? I would think long and hard about what I wanted verses what I was getting into. Even $25,000 for a new camper may be a bargain. I bought this camper in 1998 and have been improving it since. I have done 2 complete renovations to get it to this state the last major one in 2018 and bunk elimination in Feb of 2020. Vintage trailer is spot on!
Marty Smiltneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #14

Alabama
Thank you all for your responses, I think you’ve convinced me to pass this one. Definitely will be extending my budget a little bit and have a better grasp of what I need and want! Thanks all!
Old 02-18-2021, 08:47 PM   #15

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Thank you all for your responses, I think you’ve convinced me to pass this one. Definitely will be extending my budget a little bit and have a better grasp of what I need and want! Thanks all!
And sadly you need to study on how to inspect a trailer. Do not count on sellers disclosing all problems. It’s really buyer beware out there. I am on a vintage trailer forum and the number of people that post: “I was told this trailer had no leaks only to find major damage”. A thorough inspection will prevent disappointment.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:35 PM   #16
GDB

Name: Glenn
Trailer: In The Market
AZ
Quote:
I have worked on a number of Hunter restorations and I agree that the Compact Jr you are looking at is in rough shape and will require a lot of time, effort, and money to restore. This is especially true because the seller is not including equipment that came with the RV and you plan to contract out a lot of the work ($$$). Basically what you have is a fiberglass shell and a frame and that's about it. $4K is way too much for what the seller is offering especially when you consider a Compact Jr that has been nicely restored will only sell for about $8K - $9K. Can you forward contact info for the seller to me? I might make him an offer he can't refuse.

Glenn
Tucson, AZ
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:41 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Here's another alternative that apparently includes a new frame and the old internals.

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...ter-compact-jr

I have no affiliation with the seller. I just have a bad habit of looking around now and then...

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:20 PM   #18
GDB

Name: Glenn
Trailer: In The Market
AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Here's another alternative that apparently includes a new frame and the old internals.

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...ter-compact-jr

I have no affiliation with the seller. I just have a bad habit of looking around now and then...
I have already been in communication with the seller. I might be travelling to Oregon as soon as he gets the RV put back together into a condition where it could be towed back to Tucson.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:07 PM   #19

Name: Rebecca
Trailer: Hunter II
Montana
My Hunter Jr has a flushable toilet w tank. Just got it working again last summer. It was very nice!
RLShawMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:29 PM   #20

Name: Catherine
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
California
I know I'm late on this post.

Just as a note, the Compact Jr and the Hunter Jr are TWO different models. The Compact being the first model and the Hunter being an upgrade that came out later with a "cassette toilet closet" instead of a "clothes closet."

Yes, 4K for gutted is way too much. Should be less than 1K... And that's a Los Angeles price, many other locations are priced lower.... IMHO
Compact Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote