Gutting 1987 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #1

Name: Rachael
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 13'
Alaska
Gutting 1987 13' Scamp

Hi all, very happy to join this group. I just bought a Scamp in Fairbanks, Alaska and the fix up project has begun. Overall it's in decent shape, usable with no major damage, but a ton of little repairs needed. I'm wanting to start with the ensolite, do you recommend taking all cabinets and the closet out to do it right? I assume I have to drill all these rivets out? And do I replace with new rivets or can I use better hardware? What's the best way to seal new hardware from rain? Thanks, looking forward to lots more questions.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
AKscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #2

Alaska
Here are some pics...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406085981.514867.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	73971Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406086016.076249.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	73972Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406086026.421221.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	73973

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Stop! If it's usable, safe to go down the road... it just needs cleaning. Your dirt is cleaner than their dirt. The ensolite is repairable, paintable and caulkable. You don't NEED to remove cabinets, etc. unless the floor is really bad. Others will step in and give you some great advice.

Cute kiddo BTW. Start out right, take the kid camping and make a ton of memories!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:42 PM   #4

Alaska
Hi Donna, thanks for that, I really don't want to remove them! I guess I thought I should because the ensolite routes behind the closet and it's hard to reach seams. I am keeping the ensolite, was going to caulk, tape & paint. Lots of the white caps to the existing rivets are missing and someone just globed caulk over every nook and cranny on the outside so it's all sloppy.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:32 AM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Caulk removal will be your biggest headache! You can order snap cap set and rivets from Scamp store.

Snap caps have a seal cup under the rivet that acts as a seal. The cap snaps onto the cup. I put a little wafer of butyl tape under each cup, setting the rivet squeezed it tight.

You might find this thread of rivet sizes of use. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ist-52225.html
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:14 AM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKscamper View Post
Lots of the white caps to the existing rivets are missing and someone just globed caulk over every nook and cranny on the outside so it's all sloppy.

Been there (still there), done that (still doing it), got the T shirt. Take it slow and assess each rivet/base/cap individually. Concentrate first on the ones on top that may actually be leaking. I found that although a lot of mine looked terrible they were not leaking and I could fry other fish first. Don’t forget (like I did) to buy the bases when you get the caps, although you should not need as many bases. And there are two sizes of caps/bases, you don’t need many of the smaller ones.

My research revealed three levels of rivet tools, crappy, better, and best. I have tried all three and the crappy was, well pretty crappy. The "best" riveter (borrowed from a friend) worked great but the "better" was perfectly adequate and at $3 from a yard sale was the "best buy". I am not sure your little rivet buddy there is big enough for the job, you may need to recruit another helper to hold the acorn nuts inside. My ten year old was up to the task although she complained quite a bit.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
The white outer cap is "sacrificial" to the UV damage from the sun. It protects the cup underneath. And provides a cover for the rivet.

Decent rivet tool works better than the cheap ones and still not too expensive. I had a rivet shaft get jammed in a cheap one in the middle of a job when the internal mechanism broke. Frustrating.

When replacing the cabinet rivets I would do them in sets of three. One on the left, and two on the right, leaving the rivet between the two on the right alone. I think it helped keep the cabinet from shifting to not have two adjacent rivets out. Three also seemed to be the number my wife wanted to hold acorn nuts for before taking a break while I drilled more rivets.

Post #19 in that link on rivet sizes are some notes on when I replaced acorn nuts. Mine is 10 years older so the acorn nuts may have been a different size but the size of mine was not readily available. A shallow nut driver gave my wife a handle for pushing the acorn nuts against the wall and seemed to make it easier.

When I did the curtain rods I used snap caps but with a stainless steel machine screw and brass acorn nut on the inside. PITA for the person inside with the wrench on that small acorn nut but I think it looked nicer than the crumpled rivet to have a brass nut that matched the rod bracket. I could have probably used a rivet with the brass acorn nut come to think of it.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp