"Gutting" a trailer?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2021, 09:26 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Currently wishing....
British Columbia
"Gutting" a trailer??

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and have a question about "re-doing" an interior.

After DW and I having numerous towable RV's we've come to the realization that there are only a few "requirements" for us to be comfortable:
-queen size walk around bed. Realize that with wheel wells, two twin beds might have to do.
-toilet (with black tank)
-fridge

As we are down to one vehicle (Volvo XC60) I'm really liking the size/weight of small fiberglass trailers.
Unfortunately, I haven't come across any that have the layout I have in my head.

So, I thought, "why not just re-do one" to suit?
The question is: do most trailers of this type need certain "landmarks" in certain places for structural integrity? ie. does that floor to ceiling cabinet next to the entry "have" to be there to support the roof?

My ideal layout would be to have the undercounter fridge and sink up front with the bath located at the front left of the trailer.
That would leave all the space to the left of the entry available for the bed.
This is assuming a trailer with an entry near the front, which most seem to have.

Also wondering what a good possible "donor" trailer could be? The Boler 13's seem like they'd be a bit small for such an endeavour, but maybe there's something out there that might be suitable?

OK, so I hope that wasn't as confusing to read as it was to write.

Tell me if I'm crazy, or if it's a possibility.

Thanks so much,
Mike
skytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:17 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Not calling you crazy, but the idea is not practical. None of the small molded FG trailers are wide enough for a walk around queen bed. If they were, manufacturers would be doing it as the market wants it. And the pages here would be full of people sharing their successful remodels.

These trailers are not wide enough for a walk around queen sized bed. They are not wide enough for "real" twin beds either. Manufacturers play some games here calling a 23 inch wide bed a twin (a residential twin is 39 inches wide). The widest molded FG twin beds are 30 inch, a residential twin is 30% wider!

The cabinetry in a molded FG trailer serves a MAJOR role in the structural integrity of the trailer. There is a reason most have floor to ceiling closet next to the door. It supports the door opening, the wall, and the ceiling. Without adequate roof support, these trailers tend to bow out, ceilings drop, doors no longer fit.

On some models, interior cabinetry is fiberglassed into place. Removal would be a nightmare.

If they could fit a walk around bed in these trailers manufacturers would be doing it, as the demand is there. And what would support the sides of the trailer where you are walking around the bed?

The exterior fiberglass walls of these trailers are very thin. Think of a blob of jello going down the road, if they had no interior. A blank canvas is more like a converted utility trailer, which are structurally strong with no interior at all. Lots of YouTube conversions of these box trailers. They tend to be wider too.

Assume every single cabinet inside these trailers were installed strategically to add support. And the floor to ceiling items support walls and roof. Even stuff that goes across horizontally is structural.

Some have removed interior cabinetry "temporarily" only to have the roof collapse.

See the recent thread on a bed extension on a Scamp 13. Very. creative, makes the bed not crawl over. Could adapt into pretty much any of the 13 footers out there. No bathroom.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:45 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Except for the walk-around part, you can have most of what you want, even in a 13'er, though it will be easier in a 15' or 16'. Remember those are overall lengths; deduct 3' for cabin size. Most smaller units are 80" wide outside, around 77" inside.

In a 13', the toilet closet will have to go all the way to the front, leaving only about two-thirds of the front available for the galley. Relic Trailers does some of their 13' builds exactly that way. You will still have only about 6' behind the door, so longways sleeping might come up short for taller people. In my opinion the best use of the back of the trailer is a large U-shaped dinette that converts to a full-width bed. You will need a place to eat inside when the wind howls and the rain pours.

With a 15' or 16' you have a few more options. Beware of weight gain with full rebuilds. Unless you carefully manage the materials used, you could end up quite a bit heavier than stock. I'd look into aluminum framed cabinets with composite panels.

And yes, Bill is absolutely correct about the need for floor-to-ceiling shell support. Around the door is especially critical. If you want a large, wide-open bed space at the back, you will need to glass in wooden ribs on the sides and curving into the ceiling to provide the necessary support. This long renovation thread by another forum member went that route. It would be a good read from start to finish for ideas as well as a reality check on everything involved in a complete gut and rebuild.
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ler-51170.html

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:35 PM   #4

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
Suggest you consider a cargo trailer. Special built 8x12.
dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:52 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
The HC1 uses no interior cabinetry or closets for support and is completely open concept with only the double shell providing structural support including the support for the rooftop AC .It also has the ability to form 2 separate single beds or a full queen size bed which can be accessed from the inside and the rear hatch ,not really a walk around bed unless you count doing it from the outside .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:06 PM   #6

British Columbia
Thanks for the replies everyone.
My suspicions have been confirmed.

Thinking I should try and "insert" myself into a few to get a feel for what they're like. Escape Trailer is local to me, so that'll probably be my first stop.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:36 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytech View Post
…Thinking I should try and "insert" myself into a few to get a feel for what they're like. Escape Trailer is local to me, so that'll probably be my first stop.
Since you’re in BC, you might also visit Armadillo Trailers in Armstrong to experience the smaller end of the spectrum. They build a 13’er and a slightly larger 14’er. Not sure what your XC60 can tow, but Escape’s smallest 17’ model is marginally towable with a 3500/350# rating, more comfortably with a 5000/500# vehicle.

If you decide to go the rehab route, one vintage model to watch for is a Surfside. They’re 14’ long and built out with traditional wood cabinets for easier modification. They made one model with a front galley that might be close to what you’re trying to accomplish. Made in western Canada, so they tend to be more common in your region.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:31 AM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Since you’re in BC, you might also visit Armadillo Trailers in Armstrong to experience the smaller end of the spectrum. They build a 13’er and a slightly larger 14’er. Not sure what your XC60 can tow, but Escape’s smallest 17’ model is marginally towable with a 3500/350# rating, more comfortably with a 5000/500# vehicle.

If you decide to go the rehab route, one vintage model to watch for is a Surfside. They’re 14’ long and built out with traditional wood cabinets for easier modification. They made one model with a front galley that might be close to what you’re trying to accomplish. Made in western Canada, so they tend to be more common in your region.
Thanks for the info.
Our Volvo has a 3500lb rating, so yes, an Escape 17 would be pushing it a bit.
Will look into the others mentioned.
Thanks again.