GVW plate on trailer frame - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2020, 06:43 PM   #1

Name: Larry
Trailer: Burro
California
GVW plate on trailer frame

Do any of our fiberglass trailers, Burro, Scamp, Casita, have trailer ID numbers and weights printed on them?
I have an 83 13’ Burro and I sure can’t find it.
I have the original invoice and it states “ 960 lbs., fully equipped”.
Been meaning to take down to local garden supply scale and weigh it, but too lazy to empty it of cooking gear etc.
Seems about 1000lbs. Is about right, but thought there might be a plate somewhere.
Burroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:33 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burroman View Post
Do any of our fiberglass trailers, Burro, Scamp, Casita, have trailer ID numbers and weights printed on them?
Been meaning to take down to local garden supply scale and weigh it, but too lazy to empty it of cooking gear etc.
Seems about 1000lbs. Is about right, but thought there might be a plate somewhere.
Can’t say on other manufacturers. but the Happier Campers all have plated ID a and weight numbers printed as required for RIVA certification. Many earlier trailers and especially the Burros were sold in kits and may not of needed that info and some may of had stickers which may of faded away. That 960 lbs is probably dry weight and no way could of been fully equipped unless they mean fully equipped empty shell .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:44 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
The Scamp answer is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burroman View Post
The weights can't be trusted but the ID is stamped on the frame.
(From the Scamp web page)

The serial number is located on the tongue of the trailer on the door side of the trailer. It is stamped into the top of the 3″ x 1 ½” tubing. Most serial numbers will have 17 digits starting with “1S7”. Some older serial numbers will have 5 digits and start with an “E”. There were a few trailers made in the 70’s where the serial number was stamped on the top of the tongue opposite the door.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:20 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree about not trusting any number supplied by the manufacturer decades ago. Most only supplied a base dry weight without options. It probably doesn’t include the LP tank, battery, furnace, or fridge (if applicable). It also wouldn’t include any changes made over the years.

A certified weight costs perhaps $5-15 and you’ll have documentation if needed.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:31 AM   #5

Name: Larry
Trailer: Burro
California
“Fully Equipped weight, 960lbs.”

Let’s see what that means.
Burroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:08 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
One thing’s for sure: the common understanding of “fully equipped” has evolved over the years. Few today would consider a stock 13’ Burro with a stove and icebox a fully equipped RV.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:40 AM   #7

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Shipping weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Agree about not trusting any number supplied by the manufacturer decades ago. Most only supplied a base dry weight without options. It probably doesn’t include the LP tank, battery, furnace, or fridge (if applicable). It also wouldn’t include any changes made over the years.

A certified weight costs perhaps $5-15 and you’ll have documentation if needed.
The stated SHIPPING weight on my 2017 Scamp was 600 lbs light.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro