has anyone added a bunk over the main bed? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #1

Name: brianna
Trailer: shopping
Washington
has anyone added a bunk over the main bed?

i'm trying to figure out how to get a toilet AND a second sleeping area into a 13' scamp (or other), and wondering if there's a good way to add a narrow bunk above the big bed. am i nuts? does anyone make this as an option?
briannastuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:50 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Only Trillium as far as I know:
Fiberglass RV - Document Center - 1977 Trillium Brochure - Color
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:16 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Have seen scamps with front couch/bunk option where they:

1. Put a porta potty under the couch in the center storage cabinet, slide out for use. Still have couch and upper bunk.
  2. Build custom seats to replace couch. With porta potty going under/inside seat by the door. Seat top flips up for access and becomes back rest for potty.
Both of these allow you to keep front bunk functional.

The second option can be done as part of turning the front couch into a small dinette by putting custom built seats on both sides and drop table in the middle. Mini version of the back dinette with place for potty in one seat.

You could however not easily use the potty if it is stowed in a custom seat while someone is sleeping on the dinette/bed or the bunk above it. So you would have to move it out for the night if your goal was to avoid night trips to the bathroom.

Option #1 does allow sliding the toilet out in front of the couch/bunk and using while those beds are in use. Essentially it only requires purchase of porta potty that will fit through center cabinet door under couch.

All of this is Scamp specific but at least a couple of other campers have much the same layout so the same approach would work.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I suggest that you run a search on FGRV for "bunk over bed" or bunk over dinette. There was quite a bit of discussion on this topic within the last year. (remember to go to the bottom of the drop-down to the Google search for best results)
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:27 PM   #5

Washington
i LOVE those suggestions!!!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannastuart View Post
i'm trying to figure out how to get a toilet AND a second sleeping area into a 13' scamp (or other), and wondering if there's a good way to add a narrow bunk above the big bed. am i nuts? does anyone make this as an option?
I believer you're talking about a place for a child to sleep. One thing to remember they grow up and out grow any thing you could put in space. Also many Scamps have an overhead cabinet above the dinette/bed.

Another thing to remember children love tents. When our youngest was 4 she slept in a tent with her 6 year old sisters. When was 7 she had her own tent and the other two shared a tent. They're all pushing 40 and still sleeping in tents when camping. They did and still don't want to sleep in the same room as mom and dad.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #7

Washington
that's awesome i remember sleeping in a tent outside our scamp! i'm 41 and haven't been camping in ages, and my husband had NEVER been camping before i took him, so we're starting with the cheater's route - LOL
Old 07-11-2014, 11:05 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
that's awesome i remember sleeping in a tent outside our scamp! i'm 41 and haven't been camping in ages, and my husband had NEVER been camping before i took him, so we're starting with the cheater's route - LOL
WOW,, It's just kind of hard to imagine anybody living in the PNW that doesn't find themselves sleeping out in mountains or the beach at least once a year. I guess my wife and I are spoiled. One the best camping trips ever was a 5 day trek along the Pacific Crest Trail. The first three nights the tent never came out of my pack. Sleeping bags on the ground with stars as the ceiling. Some of the best nights sleep I ever had.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:23 PM   #9

Washington
we're working up to that. my twins are turning four on tuesday (WHAT?? HOW?!?!), and my goal is to hike at least a good part of that trail with them before they hit their teens. i have never packed in, let alone through-hiked, so i have a lot to learn. we have a WA->IN family reunion trip in october that will hopefully get them acquainted with being on the road, and then on the subsequent trips we will use the camper as a base for hikes. once we come back into nice weather, i'm hoping we can start into some real backpacking!
Old 07-12-2014, 02:35 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Your kids will have memories from all your travels. My daughters, close to 30yrs old now still say some of their happiest memories were the camping trips we made with them.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:37 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
we're working up to that. my twins are turning four on tuesday (WHAT?? HOW?!?!), and my goal is to hike at least a good part of that trail with them before they hit their teens. i have never packed in, let alone through-hiked, so i have a lot to learn. we have a WA->IN family reunion trip in october that will hopefully get them acquainted with being on the road, and then on the subsequent trips we will use the camper as a base for hikes. once we come back into nice weather, i'm hoping we can start into some real backpacking!
You and your twins will enjoy the great outdoors. So much to learn from those experiences.
Many years ago just for fun I created a couple web sites. One of those has our learned tips and hints for taking young children hiking. The main thing is they have feel safe and must be fun for them. You can check it out here. There's a button on the left "Kid Tips" click on that. Hopefully they'll help a bit.
Enjoy.