Has anyone made solar shower from pvc - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2021, 02:38 PM   #1

Name: WILLIAM
Trailer: wolf pup
IA
Has anyone made solar shower from pvc

I HAVE a rack on top my camper i wonder how hard it would be to make a solar shower out of pvc pipe that just uses gravity to flow . i heard some can be pressurized with bike pump but isn't that a hassle
yogavnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:03 PM   #2

Name: mike
Trailer: CASITA
New York
A haven't made one. I have thought some on it. I was thinking a black garden hose coiled up would attract more heat.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:46 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
A haven't made one. I have thought some on it. I was thinking a black garden hose coiled up would attract more heat.
This will work fine. Just pressurize it from your trailer water system. It will produce hot until the cold water gets all the way through the hose. Then let it sit for a half hour, and ready to go again.

My city water connection was made from a no-freeze hose bib. It will feed water to the trailer, from a city connection, and feed pressurized water out from the trailer to a hose.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:35 PM   #4

IA
I DONT EVEN need hot i just don't want cold. I've seen these long pvc tubes that sit on a roof rack with a hose that comes out . heck u technically wouldn't even need that you could just have a long tube that overhangs rack on top and have a spigot. and why even bother with pressurization? i mean you turn the spigot on and it flows. how much more easy could this be? having a pvc pipe on top. and on top of pipe a fill hole . and on bottom of pipe a spigot. simple . I'm going to to it
Old 02-22-2021, 04:04 AM   #5

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogavnture View Post
I DONT EVEN need hot i just don't want cold. I've seen these long pvc tubes that sit on a roof rack with a hose that comes out . heck u technically wouldn't even need that you could just have a long tube that overhangs rack on top and have a spigot. and why even bother with pressurization? i mean you turn the spigot on and it flows. how much more easy could this be? having a pvc pipe on top. and on top of pipe a fill hole . and on bottom of pipe a spigot. simple . I'm going to to it
You are pretty much describing a Sun Shower. These are simply plastic bags with a black side, that hang up somewhere. A small tube comes out of the bottom and ends in a a valve/shower head. They work very well.

https://www.amazon.com/Stearns-B269S...P17849MJCE2NG7
Old 02-22-2021, 06:16 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
when i was teardrop camping i used a pump up garden sprayer with the plastic tank painted flat black. i shortened the sprayer wand to make it easier to use. on a sunny day the tank sitting in the sunlight got warm enough within a couple hours. it was a 2 step shower just like in our trailers, a small amount of water to get wet, soap up and the rest of the water to rinse. i even had a small tent "outhouse" for privacy.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:30 AM   #7

Name: dave
Trailer: no longer looking at Parkliner,04 Honda Odyssey
Pennsylvania
Skip the stiff and more costly and heavy PVC. Just use a garden hose. Coil it as tightly as your roof rack allows. You could also place a solar shower bag, which holds several gallons, atop your roof. The more roof space you have, the more water you can heat. If it's overcast, you can easily hook your garden hose to your camper water system. I use this system at home for my outdoor shower and it works great.🍻😎 Happy camping!
flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:56 PM   #8

IA
no i dont want one of those bags that going down the road leak in my car.
i want to put some tube on top of car that will be exposed to sun and heat.
those bags are problematic.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:48 AM   #9

Smith Valley, Nevada
William,

Normally, you use the sun shower and then put it away empty. Then refill it the next time you use it.

I guess you could shower in the car, but I'm not so sure about doing it while driving.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:52 PM   #10

IA
no ive had it with those cheap solar bags that leak and break and you have to find a spot to hang it . would be much better if one has a roof rack to have one or even two pvc pipes on roof filled with water. and sun would warm it up in quick order even going down the road. i don't want a cheap solar bag in my car going down road , that might leak and wont be in sun. my gut says the pvc pipe idea on roof would work great. easy to put water in their from a hose. and always in the sun warming it up quick. off grid dream of getting reliable shower and also water to wash dishes. i want to get two of the pipes. for the roof
Old 02-27-2021, 11:46 AM   #11

Name: J.D.
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 Layout 6
West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogavnture View Post
no ive had it with those cheap solar bags that leak and break and you have to find a spot to hang it . would be much better if one has a roof rack to have one or even two pvc pipes on roof filled with water. and sun would warm it up in quick order even going down the road. i don't want a cheap solar bag in my car going down road , that might leak and wont be in sun. my gut says the pvc pipe idea on roof would work great. easy to put water in their from a hose. and always in the sun warming it up quick. off grid dream of getting reliable shower and also water to wash dishes. i want to get two of the pipes. for the roof

That works. Saw that on a van out in the desert. HOWEVER! Beware that it gets REALLY HOT - blistering hot! If in desert climes or similar you will need to figure a way to add cooler/cold water to the shower head.

Talked with the van owner who had me hold my hand under the spigot and nearly boiled my hand...<g>... His solution was to wait until the sun went down and showered by candle light.
J.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:51 AM   #12

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
Just get a bag shower

I made a fairly large one for my 53’ sailboat. More headaches then benefits. Use the bagged solar showers. Works great and packs up small. Doubles as another clean water storage on site to boot.
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:15 PM   #13

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Check out YouTube. Also Elsa and Barron YouTube channel who live full time in their 13 ft Scamp. They have recently upgraded to a rechargeable pump that they submerge into a 5 gall bucket. System also comes with a hose and hand held shower head. They heat the water on a stove fill the bucket and shower away
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:43 PM   #14
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Road Shower

It sounds like you might be talking about a Road Shower.

https://yakima.com/products/roadshower

From the design it looks simple to make. I've thought about making one myself and just using gravity feed instead of pressurizing. Let us know how it turns out.
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:48 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler and U-Haul
Look up on youtube H2OT-Roof top pressurized shower/sprayer. A very video to help you decide if you want to build one.
Alan Ursacki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar