Has anyone taken apart their entry door? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #1

Name: Robert
Trailer: Airstream 23D International Serenity
Texas
Has anyone taken apart their entry door?

I posted this over on The Casita Forum, but wanted to also ask this learned - and more diverse -group...

I have had some previous 'discussion' about this with someone, apparently in private messages, but I don'tremember with whom and what I learned. So fighting back against my obviously-creeping senality, I'm going to ask out loud in this Forum...

Has anyone taken an entrance door apart? If so, what can you tell me? How does the thing come apart; what are the steps? What disasters lurk in such an enterprise?

I would like to disassemble my come-in/go-out door and replace the inside thin inside "skin" with ash plywood. I know that I would have to 'thin' the underlying foam to allow for the extra thickness of the plywood, but that doresn't scare me... I'm just wondering how much of a big deal it is to take the thing apart.

Here's hoping someone out there in FGRV-land has some real world experience with this...

Thanks,

Rob
Rob and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Not me, but it has been done. I remember somebody did it on this site. I think it was kinda sorta wet inside the door.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think each brand of trailer is built just different enough that the doors are not "filled" the same. Someone has mentioned that a Scamp door has what they called "buffalo board" in the interior. I know when I pulled the door window out, there were raw edges of something that looked like pressed cardboard around the edge. I sealed that with waterproof glue and clamped the edges. I could see where water had seeped into the area and without the edge being "waterproof" it could wick water. YMMV

Con, has created a 16 page PDF that shows a couple of pictures of a pulled apart Boler door. If you think it will help, download it here: Fiberglass RV - Document Center - BolerDoorFix
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Hi Robert, When I had my door out I rebuild the frame it was rotten along the bottom. It is not that hard to do, the only thing to be careful of is the screws that hold the corners together , I had two of the heads break off. It is hard to get the screws out after but not impossible, would be best to spray some WD40 first . This should be a slam dunk for you. Hope this helps
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #5

Well d'oh, I just realized you were talking about a standard RV door, not an air-craft style door which typically has problems. Never mind about the download... it won't help you... sorry.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #6

Indiana
What? A regular camper door?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #7

Greg, Rob has a 17' Casita SD. It has a standard RV flat door. Isn't it framed in extruded aluminum?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #8

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Greg, Rob has a 17' Casita SD. It has a standard RV flat door. Isn't it framed in extruded aluminum?
I don't know, but if it is I would think drilling out some rivets would do the damage.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
This is a project that I will have to do on my Compact Jr. rebuild. The aluminum skin is in bad shape from having "accessories" screwed to it over the years. Its hinges are a little sprung from flapping down the road unnoticed. I plan to totally disassemble it and replace the aluminum skin with ...

*fiberglass*

I have rebuilt an aluminum baggage door on my Fiber Stream, and I figure that the entry door on the Compact Jr. will be a similar process.