Hatch option for Water Heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #1

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Scamp 16
Washington
Hatch option for Water Heater

Hi All,

I have a 1990 Scamp 16 ft trailer that I purchased a couple of years back that has the Atwood 6 gal water heater installed. I'd like to take out the water heater (temporarily, maybe permanently). This will obviously leave a 16x12.5 hole in the side of my trailer.

What are the best options to cover the hole? I may put another water heater in again at some time in the future so I don't want to expand or change the hole. I'm thinking of just purchasing the Girard tankless door and flange and installing that (minus the actual water heater!).

Maybe down the road I'll get the Girard or pickup another Atwood.

Thanks

Kelly
kjackson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Why remove it if you don't have a use for the space?
Perhaps you are making work?
Not that I can claim to not done that myself!
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:21 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I did exactly that. I went back to Scamp and they repaired the fiberglass shell so that it looks almost like the rest of the camper. Cost was about $500. My camper was three years old and there was only a little color change. You have to look very hard to see its not original. If you go this route then note that the sun exposure on yours will no doubt be more noticeable compared to the repair area. Also they likely use a different gel coat now so call them and discuss it.

Another option is a hatch door. You can widen the hole to use a stock size, or have a hatch custom made for an exact fit with no fiberglass work being needed. That would make it easier to put the heater back in, but its not so cheap. See:
https://www.boatoutfitters.com/build...oard-boat-door

BTW, before Scamp did my work I traveled 1000 miles in 2 1/2 weeks with the water heater removed and the hole patched with 1/4 inch plywood inside, and a thick vinyl mat on the outside. The outside was held in with screws through the existing rivet holes into the plywood. Butyl tape was used under the edge of the vinyl on the outside. I had no leaks.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #4

Washington
Thanks for the replies! The only reason I'm pulling the old one is to get to the floor beneath it. I have some floor rot to correct there. Not sure the cause of the leak. But I'll eventually re-do all the water lines and I've already replaced all the rivets on that side so hopefully I won't have any more problems.

I agree about not creating more work then necessary so from that perspective, I think I'll just pull the water heater, fix the floor and reinstall the old one for now.

Thanks for the ideas for custom hatch doors.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I used machine screws through the existing holes to attach a piece of sheet metal aluminum to cover up the old water heater opening It's bare aluminum in my gallery pics but I've since spray painted it off-white.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjackson82 View Post
...The only reason I'm pulling the old one is to get to the floor beneath it. I have some floor rot to correct there. ...
I sure did not understand your objective.. many forms of temporary patch will be fine for the amount of time you need to get the floor fixed. But I took my water heater out because I never used it and wanted the space. YMMV but maybe, just maybe, you would be happy without it installed at all.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:14 AM   #7

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Pull the heater, fix the floor and reinstall would be the easiest solution.
I did not still have the water heater in my trailer, but I had the hole and the rotten floor and I patched the shell, fixed the floor, and put a tankless water heater on the tongue and invested more time and labor than I expected.
I am happy with the changes I have made, but changing one thing forces two or more changes elsewhere in an ever expanding circle of work!
Let me encourage you do do whatever you want and, if possible, enjoy it.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #8

Washington
Thanks everyone for responding and offering ideas! I agree that once change always leads to more! I think I'll just go simple and put the old heater back in for now. I also have to replace all of the water lines so plenty to keep me busy! I just bought a bunch of pex tubing and need to pick up fittings and all of that. This weekend's project!

Last weekend I built plywood wheels so I could get it in my garage! So now that I have it in a covered place for the winter it is time to get busy!